Problem with dark colors in plasma

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tha_lazyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tha_lazyboi
Member since 2003 • 3096 Posts
Just got this tv yesterday and its great! But only problem is that when a character is wearing black or something you cant make out the detail to well. I read that plasmas cant do black too good. Is this why im having this problem? Is there anything in the settings that I can change so I can see more detail when its dark and the character is wearing something dark? An example is when im playing oblivion and my character is wearing the dark brotherhood outfit at night.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 cspiffo
Member since 2005 • 2841 Posts
Just got this tv yesterday and its great! But only problem is that when a character is wearing black or something you cant make out the detail to well. I read that plasmas cant do black too good. Is this why im having this problem? Is there anything in the settings that I can change so I can see more detail when its dark and the character is wearing something dark? An example is when im playing oblivion and my character is wearing the dark brotherhood outfit at night.Tha_lazyboi
try turning up the contrast and maybe the sharpness of the screen.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts
Just got this tv yesterday and its great! But only problem is that when a character is wearing black or something you cant make out the detail to well. I read that plasmas cant do black too good. Is this why im having this problem? Is there anything in the settings that I can change so I can see more detail when its dark and the character is wearing something dark? An example is when im playing oblivion and my character is wearing the dark brotherhood outfit at night.Tha_lazyboi
What brand name and TV do you own...I own a plasma TV myself and I have no issues with it producing a nice deep black... I guess the real question is whats the contrast ratio...that will have a lot to do with how nice the dark colors look or appear...the higher the contrast ratio on any TV...Plasma, DLP, or LCD will effect the picture quality...
Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Impossibilium
Member since 2005 • 1568 Posts

It's called "black crush" and you'll see it other types of TV as well. If you can't adjust the brightness and contrast to a point where it works okay for you then there's nothing you can do. It's due to the TVs ability to process black levels sufficiently to pick out the detail. It's a trade off between making a nice dark black and allowing lighter values to appear.

The only other option is to adjust settings in the service menu, but to get an improvement from that you would need specific knowledge of the engineering manual. I don't recommend it.