Problem: Monitor or Graphics card?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DiabolicalX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 DiabolicalX
Member since 2007 • 804 Posts

I've been having trouble with some games on my computer lately, during play green spots flicker on the screen and increase in number and intensity until the game crashes, this occured on both The Witcher and Dragon Age's character creator. I have a Radeon HD 4850 Graphics card with the latest drivers, so is it more likely to be the monitor, which is a BENQ that's about three-4 years old, or could it possibly be that Bioware's graphics engine and my computer just don't agree? If anyone has any advice or experience with this problem could you please speak up, I'd rather not have to purchase a monitor I don't need.

3DayFinisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 3DayFinisher
Member since 2007 • 40501 Posts
I'm thinking graphics card problem, possibly overheating. My lappy does that if I OC the graphics card too much, although it's usually purple dots or the graphics going splotchy.
Grallis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Grallis
Member since 2006 • 675 Posts
Definitely graphics card. Youre going to need another fast. I would get it in case it burns out and takes your motherboard and\or power supply with it.
Grallis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Grallis
Member since 2006 • 675 Posts
Mind you, it could be screwing up because you dont have enough power going to it. I'd look into that first.
DiabolicalX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DiabolicalX

It's not the power thats the problem, strangely it works on other games like Mass Effect with the graphics on full, which I always thought required more power than The Witcher on full. The graphics card is only a year old, so I'm not sure it would be the card itself. Is it more likely to be the other hardware like the motherboard or is it more likely to be the cooling system that's not working properly?

Rottenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Rottenberry
Member since 2004 • 4908 Posts

Don't mean to hijack your thread... actually I do, but anyways, I have a 8800GTS and I just got a similar problem, and am now afraid of turning my computer on lest it go "poof". Basically, I came back to my computer today to find the screensaver frozen in place, with a bunch of blue dots scattered randomly across the screen like sand. I try restarting, and the screen remains black. I begin to panic thinking my monitor is not working, and so I restart again.

This time the computer does boot up, only I get some strange message talking about settings being changed etc and if I wanted to configure them or keep them default. I choose default. Then I get the Windows Safety Mode startup message and choose to run Windows as normal. Now at first it seems everything is working just fine. Then I realize I can't move the mouse, the lower right part of the desktop is covered in a huge blurry square, and random flashes of black lines and blue sparkles dance around the screen.

Before I could scream in fear the computer goes "POOT" and restarts. I panic and shut it off completely before it tries to rise from the dead once again. Am I also having a graphics card problem?

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

It sounds like your graphics card is getting artifactes due to overheating...doesyour case have an intake/exhaust fan?

The_Tombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Tombo
Member since 2005 • 3537 Posts

simple way to test if it's overheating is just open your case and put a normal cheap room fan next to it and let it run that way. It should be able to dissipate all the extra heat that way.

Also I'm pretty sure the RAdeon catalyst has a temperature bar in it that tells what temp your gfx card is running on.
My Radeon used to overheat but after a while of running it case open I just bought a different gpu fan and worked fine ever since.

But yeah, it is most likely your card, both of you.

Rottenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rottenberry

Yeah my card has a fan, but it's nearly 4 years old now (Bought it when it was fresh out of the factory), and I'm worried that it's just going to die of natural causes/old age(If only we are all so lucky).

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my graphics card and perhaps pimp out my cooling system now that I have a fancy paying job, and so I was wondering if you guys could recommend some solid 250 - 300 dollar cards... preferably from nVidia since I'm a biased fanboy, have never had any problems with mine, and always here AMD/Ati (whatever their new merger name is) users complaining about their HD xxxx having graphical glitches with numerous games.

hooded1man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 hooded1man
Member since 2004 • 1099 Posts

Your card is getting to hot, just increase the speed of the fan, and clean your computer out. Your monitor will never make a game crash.

Rottenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rottenberry

Wait. You're telling me my card is getting hot, from running my bloody desktop?! Holy hell if I want to run a game then I guess I'll be needing at least 15 of those fans on high speed.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
Hae you even check the temps yet? Check your temps, blow out your GPU with compressed air if he hasnt been done lately, and increase the speed of the fan on your GPU.
Rottenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rottenberry
Well I can't check the temps as I can't get past the desktop without the computer going "poot". As for dust, I just cleaned out my comp thoroughly less than 4 months ago. I'm beginning to worry that the GPU fan has simply ceased to function altogether.
The_Tombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Tombo
Member since 2005 • 3537 Posts
Well I can't check the temps as I can't get past the desktop without the computer going "poot". As for dust, I just cleaned out my comp thoroughly less than 4 months ago. I'm beginning to worry that the GPU fan has simply ceased to function altogether.Rottenberry
you should kinda be able to notice if the fan is working or not.. atleast if it's spinning. Just try my earlier suggestion, leave the case open and aim a common household fan towards the pc. If it is an overheating issue it should work then, atleast aslong as the gpu isn't under too much stress
DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

I've been having trouble with some games on my computer lately, during play green spots flicker on the screen and increase in number and intensity until the game crashes, this occured on both The Witcher and Dragon Age's character creator. I have a Radeon HD 4850 Graphics card with the latest drivers, so is it more likely to be the monitor, which is a BENQ that's about three-4 years old, or could it possibly be that Bioware's graphics engine and my computer just don't agree? If anyone has any advice or experience with this problem could you please speak up, I'd rather not have to purchase a monitor I don't need.

DiabolicalX

Do you have another PC that you can switch out and test the monitor and vidio card components on ?... If so that would give you a better idea which of the two are causing your problems if it is in-fact a hardware issue. Do you have these problems with anything else, or just these two games ? If not try re-installing them again and check your drivers...you may have to try a re-install there also to narrow things down to find your problem....Any PSU issues ?, may be aniother area you want to check out if this problem is hardware related.

*+

Rottenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rottenberry

Okay so I'm planning on purchasing a new card tomorrow, and was just wondering how much of a performance boost compared to the 8800GTS 640mb I originally had would I see if I bought one of the following:

1) GTX260 896M DDR3
2) GTX 285 1.0G DDR3

OR

3) ATI HD 4890 GDDR5

DiabolicalX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DiabolicalX

I managed to solve the problem by turning my fans spin rate up from 50 to about 75, with a full game that should be abput 80-85 then. It turned out that my fans aren't powerful enough to keep up with my graphics card, so can anyone recommend any good cooling systems that won't break the bank?

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

I managed to solve the problem by turning my fans spin rate up from 50 to about 75, with a full game that should be abput 80-85 then. It turned out that my fans aren't powerful enough to keep up with my graphics card, so can anyone recommend any good cooling systems that won't break the bank?

DiabolicalX

Did you clean out the HSF assembly of dust? A solid year of use can cause a sizeable buildup of dust if your case doesn't have fan filters.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

DiabolicalX
Coolink GFXChilla has solid reviews, cutting heat output by up to 49%. Artic Cooling Accelero S1 Is pretty highly regarded too, although some folks like adding a 120mm fan to it to make it that much better.