Pre built PCs *help*

#1 Posted by jeezers (2617 posts) -

Looking to upgrade to a new pc, my current one is a mess, old factory i3 with 8 gigs of shitty ram and a 750ti

I'm looking to buy a pre built, I know I know building is cheaper but I seriously just dont have the time or patience, does any one have any recommendations on where to buy one?

My budget is 1000-1200$ I will use it for some light gaming, but more imprtantly need it run adobe video editing software like premiere and after effects.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

#2 Posted by Vaidream45 (1844 posts) -

Contact this guy. He has a Etsy store and he provided me with the beat prebuild experience ever. He will customize to your needs and even set me up nice by discounting the price since I wanted to keep my old hard drives. He set up power and cables and fed them to where the drives would be installed by me even. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the big companies like Cyberpower PC etc. this guy will hook it up and also stay in contact with you if you have any questions or problems in the future.

Search for this name on Etsy.

HatchCustomSystems

#3 Edited by jeezers (2617 posts) -

@vaidream45: ill check that out thanks!

This was the one I was considering on newegg I found

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16883289028

#4 Posted by Vaidream45 (1844 posts) -

Nice. I mean it looks good I just haven’t had any experience with newegg pre builds. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one hopefully

#5 Posted by Horgen (120131 posts) -

Building it yourself is fast and easy.

ATX mobo are most common, and most cases being mid tower or bigger takes them. mATX and ITX are smaller. E-ATX are larger.

Motherboard has to be compatible with RAM and CPU. Now a days almost all is DDR4 RAM so that isn't really a problem unless you buy old tech. GPU fits either though. PCIE X16 there.

#6 Posted by appariti0n (2750 posts) -

@jeezers: Where are you? USA?

#7 Posted by jeezers (2617 posts) -

@appariti0n: yeah in virginia

#8 Posted by XVision84 (15781 posts) -

Your local computer shop may build your computer for a small fee. That way, you can use pcpartpicker to find the best price for individual parts and you won't need to build it yourself. My local computer shop does it for around $100. If you really don't want the hassle of building it, paying the small fee for others to build it would still be cheaper (and better) than buying a prebuilt. They tend to cheap out on prebuilt components so you don't always know what you're getting.

I know it's a headache, but I really highly suggest at least choosing individual parts yourself. You'll get a much better computer for the same price. The computer I built for myself ended up being over $1000 cheaper than if I were to buy it prebuilt. It's worth it. I ended up saving so much money from individual deals on every part that I got better specs than I originally planned for my budget.

#9 Edited by jeezers (2617 posts) -

@XVision84: im talking to a local guy who puts together and sells PC's, he has this PC for 1100 which seems like a great deal considering the prices listed on pcpartpicker. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GVLZpG?fbclid=IwAR2q5NBjC_R32hKYEjLKfR6wL7-4IxiWDgD6mvr4yR6KiYeRnmJDhR1bMX0

comes with a monitor as well. the only thing im not sure about is the HD being an extern. but 4 TB sounds pretty damn good, i just dont see myself being able to build a PC from scratch with these parts for any cheaper, not to mention i would have to watch a bunch of tutorial videos and would proabably mess something up. Do you think a rig with these parts is worth 1100? pcpartpicker says its worth 1700?

#10 Posted by XVision84 (15781 posts) -

@jeezers: That sounds like a great deal, the monitor resolution is unusual though (I've never seen a 1920 x 1200 monitor but that could just be me). As long as everything is in good condition of course, I'd personally be suspicious of buying from someone who just puts PC's together. Would rather go with companies that can provide warranty or help if something goes wrong. The computer shop I buy from is a big chain store all across Canada. I'm sure there are US equivalents.

I wouldn't be too worried about messing something up. Building a PC is pretty straight forward these days, there are so many guides online to help you out. It's also useful knowledge in general because building your PC yourself means you know the exact layout of your PC. In the future when you upgrade or if you ever have a component-specific issue, you'd know exactly how to remove the component.