Possible to create a MMO w/o the dreaded "grind"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Av177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Av177
Member since 2006 • 158 Posts

So tell me, I hear a lot of complaining about MMO's and how they eventually turn into a grindfest. Fact of the matter is, developers are going to keep making repeatable quests, faction grinds, and the like because they need some sort of content to tide gamers over until the next batch of content comes into play. Personaly, I don't think its possible for any MMO to ever detatch itself from the dreaded grind, agree?

What would you give for a dynamic, grind free MMO? I'll start - my left nut.

abysmal-mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 abysmal-mk
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts
got one! and im playing it right now..wydglobal it has less grinding because of its built-in bot system which is called c.c. mode. its different from other bot system on other games because you can adjust what kind of boting should your character do. . . he can run while hunting or stay on his spot. . . so you dont have to guide your character :D
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
EVE Online technically doesn't have a grind. The game is entirely based on training skills, and not gaining experience points. Skills have a training time dependent on your character attributes, and are trained whether or not you're logged in or not. So if you want to take a break from the game for a couple days, while a really long skill is being trained (some of the most advanced skills can require several months of training), its not really a big deal.
Avatar image for woolysockofdoom
woolysockofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 woolysockofdoom
Member since 2003 • 494 Posts
There still is a grind in EVE: money. You have to have money to purchase ships and equipment, to get insurance and store your clone data. Then there is the time management grind where you need to train skills in real time, but you don't need to be in the game.
The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts
Guild wars!
Deus_Ex_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Deus_Ex_Fan
Member since 2006 • 625 Posts

---May comments about MMORPGs---

MMORPGs could get away from the grind, by not making level 100 the ultimate goal. Instead of making it a game of trying to get to the top (and when folks are already there they rule the server because they did, and in some cases to ugly results), make it that experience from quests (giving the illusion you're achieving a goal, without camping spawn points and trying to chop a forest to get X amount of EXP points), and creation of objects is more important.

I don't play MMORPGs or MUDs for long because everyone has PvP designed to drop items (and if you don't want to play PvP, you're tooinexperienced to finish the best quests). Items that take a lot of time (or RL money to buy), and I don't believegiving away my life literally and real money is "fun".

Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts
No, grind is a fact of MMORPG. Anything you do repeatedly can be called a grind: level grind, quest grind, PvP grind, PvE grind, crafting grind, money making grind, and so forth. That's why I don't like to use the word.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I don't think its possible to make an MMO without a grind of some sort. If you noticed, all MMOs made now and those that will be released will have a grind of some sort. Its just that some games make grinds more enjoyable than others.
Andersioh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Andersioh
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

You should check out The Chronicles of Spellborn. It's a great game MMORPG being develeoped for the last quarter of this year. They go out of their wayto keep grinding to an absolute minimum and to be a unique game.

The character creation is made so that no-one will look that much alike. there is a unique combatsystem with aiming and spelldecks, and so much more....

Just have a look at http://www.tcos.com/, beacuse the game-info on this site is really outdated at the moment.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

There still is a grind in EVE: money. You have to have money to purchase ships and equipment, to get insurance and store your clone data. Then there is the time management grind where you need to train skills in real time, but you don't need to be in the game.woolysockofdoom

That's not a grind though. Obtaining money in MMO's isn't known as grinding.

Hlesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Hlesey
Member since 2005 • 50 Posts
Guild Wars!! I have lvl 20 monk, with realy good gear! And most of the spells and good wepons! And i NEVER, i mean NEVER grinded! Just sweet game :D i Recomend it 100%!!! IM waiting GUild wars 2, now tho
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts
GW and Eve Online - you don't need to grind there - that's one of the reasons for making thoseboth MMORPGssuperior
Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts

[QUOTE="woolysockofdoom"]There still is a grind in EVE: money. You have to have money to purchase ships and equipment, to get insurance and store your clone data. Then there is the time management grind where you need to train skills in real time, but you don't need to be in the game.onemic

That's not a grind though. Obtaining money in MMO's isn't known as grinding.

I played Eve Online from beta until 2005 and it can feel like a grind. Instead of wanting XP in EVE you just want money because it = power kinda like in other mmorpgs where levels = power. However the main ways of getting money when you start out feel ALOT like a grind and it's just not fun until you reach the big boys.

1. Mining *yawn*

2. Agent missions *yawn* Basic go kill or go deliver...

3. Trade routes *yawn* Just buying stuff cheap and selling for higher which takes ALOT of time and jumps...

All these 3 you do over and over and over again...

The game isn't fun until you can go out in 0.0 space and you wont enjoy the game at all if you don't like PVP lol.

Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts

There isn't a PvP grind in Guild Wars?

And yes, obtaining money is another instance of grind.

Grind = routine work that feels boring, and that includes: money making, killing monsters, PvP, quest, etc...

Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, but Fury, which is the upcoming PvP based MMO doesn't have too much grinding elements in it from what i've heard. It's basically you create an avatar, and can jump in after some quick training and learning how to play the game, and you acquire upgrades through more gameplay; which is all PvP - there's no PvE at all from what i've heard.
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

I think to get rid of the grind you'd need to make sure that the quests in an area offer enough XP to safely get you to whatever level you need to move on. As long as the quests are interesting that should be fine.Also, they need to make it fun and worthwhile to be the level you are so the only goal isn't just getting to the next level.

Either that or have a scaling difficulty like oblivion. But that would lead to all kinds of other balance problems due to the MMO aspect.

harfsennator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 harfsennator
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts

It is possible to create a MMO with out grinding,,, just make the MMO as real as it can get, so if your char dies, he really dies, So you have to be carefull what you will do, and slaying a monster, like a tiger is a hughe job. I think if you create a game that is as real as it can get, you will have far less grinding,, ;)

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

it's very possible to make a mmo without grinding, in fact it's easy

just not a mmorpg

questing and grinding are central to roleplaying games (on and offline), but affecting the world in a major way and playing a storyline is contrary to the principles of mmo gameplay

i think the only way to make a mmorpg without grinding is to make a game focused entirely on large scale player vs player environments

the mmo scene as a whole, though, has plenty of non-grind possibilities in other genres, besides planetside and WW2 online, we haven't really seen any mmofps games (at least, not any commercially popularones)- but that's starting to change, i think...and games like endwar and others may be introducing is to mmorts, finally - or at least taking steps toward that end

mmo has a bright future, but rpg games are grinding games on and offline, only offline there are storylines to back it up - can that be replicated online, players affecting events in significant ways, in evolving worlds where things change and gameplay is a result of player-driven events and interaction? i believe it is possible, but the scope of my vision is limited, and i cannot see how

Conan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Conan1985
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts

No...not really for a MMORPG...i mean i didnt even grind in Wow really....i quested from 1-70. I found it really tedious on PvE servers but on PVP servers i LOVED it.

Guild Wars is a terrible example of a MMORGP its all instanced theres no real social side i found it by far the worst MMO i ever played. If its instanced all the time how can it even be classed as a MMORPG .If you dont have grinding or questing then you cant really have character progression i suppose you could make one that was like a huge FPS buthow long before that got seriously boring? 2 weeks tops. The probelm is you want to log on and be instantly as good as a player who has been playing for months...

You dont have to grind...questing at least in Wow is a far quicker way to level up. Even Guild wars has character progression if you want the best gear you have to go through all the crap pve content which is as much grinding as Wow without the same level of satisfaction and content.

CalciumDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CalciumDust
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
if you made an mmo where exp was based on where you went and what you saw it would be not as nearly as monotonous as simply training by doing the same thing over and over.