Possible PSU problem...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Honus722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Honus722
Member since 2006 • 345 Posts

Hey all!

Well, my PC fails to power on. I noticed for the past few months, that if I turned off my machine (shut down, restart was fine) and hit the power button, it would take a few seconds to actually start. Then as time went on, seconds turned to minutes before the machine would actually start running. A couple days ago, I turned it off to clean it. Once I plugged it back in and hit the button...nothing happened. So I let it be and returned to it a few hours later...still nothing. Looks like it's dead in the water.

When I plug in the power cord to the PSU and flip the switch, the green light on my mobo turns on. But as I stated above, it never actually starts running after hitting the power button on my tower. Is this most likely a PSU problem? I've had my Antec Neopower 480W for about 2 years with no problems...until this started happening.

Has anyone had a problem like this? It seems like it's definitely the PSU as the culprit, but just wanted to be sure before ordering a new one.

I didn't bother listing my specs since that doesn't seem to pertain to an issue like this. Thanks and let me know if you need more info!

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

How does it not pertain to this? If you know what your problem is, you don't need our help, plain and simple. If you want help, at least an overview of your specs is necessary. How else will we know if you might have been riding that power supply too hard?

Anyway, the first thing I'd check is your power switch. Disconnect your power switch connector from the bottom of your motherboard, and short out the pins to see if it starts up normally. If it does, the only thing wrong with your computer is your power switch.