Please help, Wicther 2 crashs and shuts down whole laptop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 Brawler-Dude
Member since 2008 • 1418 Posts

So I just got Wicther 2 last night, and I installed it this morning and I turned on the game and went to go play it. It was running fine and my laptop could handle it. After about 10 mins of play time, it turned of my whole computer, and I had to take out the battery, drain the power, place the battery back in. I thought it was just a freak thing. So then I tried again, and the same thing happened, and I had to do the same thing. I have patch 2.0 or 2.1 not postive but if this is a error and they just needed to fix it please let me know. Mind you this has never happened with any game before in the past.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
The shutdown could be because your chips got overheated.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Check your temps.

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Brawler-Dude

That could possible be it, since it is a high power game, and suggestions on how to prevent this

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

That could possible be it, since it is a high power game, and suggestions on how to prevent this

Brawler-Dude
Don't know what your specs are, so set the game to the lowest settings possible. Your best bet is to play it on a desktop, as the recommended desktop GPU is the GT 260.
Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Brawler-Dude

[QUOTE="Brawler-Dude"]

topsemag55

Don't know what your specs are, so set the game to the lowest settings possible. Your best bet is to play it on a desktop, as the recommended desktop GPU is the GT 260.

Yeah no desktop as of yet. I know it can handle it, thats really not the problem, I think it is the overheating, I'm going to tyr and get a cooling pad for it or prop it up so more airflow gets throw the fans of it. I will try it out if it doesn't work then I don't know

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"][QUOTE="Brawler-Dude"]

Brawler-Dude

Yeah no desktop as of yet. I know it can handle it, thats really not the problem, I think it is the overheating, I'm going to tyr and get a cooling pad for it or prop it up so more airflow gets throw the fans of it. I will try it out if it doesn't work then I don't know

sounds like an overheating problem

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Brawler-Dude

How powerful is this game. I can run other games on High with no problem at all happening, thi game I just run on meduim specs and it overheats.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

I have a couple of friends with laptops who also had overheating problems with TW2, and they use pretty good laptops.

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Brawler-Dude

I have a couple of friends with laptops who also had overheating problems with TW2, and they use pretty good laptops.

Silicel1

I have a ASUS gaming laptop. It came out in 2008 and was at the top of every magzine and gaming website laptops you could buy. and now I can barley run this game at meduim without it overheating. And I do not want to run this game at low specs, just ried and it look, well bad and I just don't want to play it on low specs. Medui m is fine, just a little framerate drops during cutscenes thats all, if it wasn't for the overheating problem. I have no money at all to affored a gaming desktop right now even though I would love to, but for right now I have a decent laptop. I just really wish I could play this game because I have been looking foward to it so much and now it overheats my laptops and shuts it down.

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Brawler-Dude

Model- G73Jh

Processor & Cache Memory-

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 620M/820QM/720QM : 2.66 GHz - 1.6 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 3.33/3.06/2.8 GHz;
Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 540M/520M/430M : 2.53 GHz - 2.26 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 3.06/2.93/2.53 GHz
Intel® Core™ i3 Processor 350M/330M : 2.26 GHz - 2.13 GHz,

Main Memory-

DDR3 1066/1333 MHz up to 8GB (Intel® i7-720QM / i7-820QM platform)
DDR3 1066 MHz up to 4GB (Intel® Core™ i7-620M/ i5 / i3 platform)

Display-

17.3" Full HD (1920x1080)/HD+ (1600x900) Color-Shine (Glare-type)

Video Graphics & Memory-

ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 5870, 1G GDDR5 VRAM

Hard Drive- Dual SATA support up to 1TB (5400 rpm/ 7200 rpm)

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

[QUOTE="Silicel1"]

Brawler-Dude

I have a ASUS gaming laptop. It came out in 2008 and was at the top of every magzine and gaming website laptops you could buy. and now I can barley run this game at meduim without it overheating. And I do not want to run this game at low specs, just ried and it look, well bad and I just don't want to play it on low specs. Medui m is fine, just a little framerate drops during cutscenes thats all, if it wasn't for the overheating problem. I have no money at all to affored a gaming desktop right now even though I would love to, but for right now I have a decent laptop. I just really wish I could play this game because I have been looking foward to it so much and now it overheats my laptops and shuts it down.

Then you may want to clean out your laptop and also buy a standoff with fans.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
You gonna have to take you laptop apart and cut hole in it LMAO. Cooling baby.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Travis_Odell

In all seriousness get creative and if your warranty has expired take it apart and apply new thermal paste the good $hit mx-4 or arctic silver and make some custom vent holes and that thing should last you a loong time, that's what i did with mine, but you got to know what your doing or you will short out that mother.

alishathomaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 alishathomaz
Member since 2012 • 127 Posts

Fix registry errors... update drivers.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 couly
Member since 2004 • 6277 Posts
It's a memory issue. you need to do this: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240697
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Travis_Odell
It's a memory issue. you need to do this: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240697couly
I'm sorry but that's a waste of time. It's not why his laptop is shutting down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

The joys of gaming on a laptop.

If the cooling pad doesn't work, I have no idea what else you could do except replace all the TIM in the laptop and clean all the dust out.

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Brawler-Dude

If the cooling pad doesn't work, I have no idea what else you could do except replace all the TIM in the laptop and clean all the dust out.

Postmortem123

Alright, really hope it works haven't tried it yet since I haven't gotten the cooling pad yet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

Brawler-Dude

Alright, really hope it works haven't tried it yet since I haven't gotten the cooling pad yet

Good luck:)

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"][QUOTE="Brawler-Dude"]

Brawler-Dude

have you tried spraying it out with air? could be that your cooling system is clogged with caked up amounts of dust and debris...
Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Brawler-Dude

Alright have it running I have a cooling pad and its running fine

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

Brawler-Dude
let me know how long it lasts...i want to buy it but i want to play it on my desktop AND laptop for wheni wanna travel
Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Brawler-Dude

[QUOTE="Brawler-Dude"]

slvrraven9

let me know how long it lasts...i want to buy it but i want to play it on my desktop AND laptop for wheni wanna travel

With the cooling pad it didn't shut don't on me *knock on wood* and I was playing for a good 2 hours

Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts
Pretty much every laptop clogs down with dust after 1 year, some good laptops can last 2 years. After that cooling efficiency goes down exponentially. It's not a good idea to spray air, as it will just scatter lots and lots of dust inside the case. Good idea is to take it apart, remove heatsink from CPU and clean it nicely inside and out. Apply new thermal paste and enjoy laptop for a few more years. Most of the laptops downclock CPU when temps are going up and you loose a lot of performance. So that cooling pad might be helping it, but I bet it's not running at 100%. I took apart half a dozen laptops over the years, amazing that after so many years there's no solution to dust problem.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

The shutdown could be because your chips got overheated.topsemag55

yeah i had the same problem...cleaned out my fans and intake...ended up gettin a cooling pad(like 20usd or so) and i havnt had a problem sense...look at my sig...even "gaming" laptops have problems cooling when running at max...just get some airflow under your laptop and it should cool off better