Please help me find an RPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cryfreedom66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 cryfreedom66
Member since 2005 • 654 Posts

Hey guys, Im in a gaming slump...need to find something to play.

What im looking for is an RPG with #1 a good story, #2 an engrossing world, #3 customization

Heres what I have already played- All Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3 and NV, all dragon age and ME, Divinity OS, Pretty much all modern MMos, Most FF titles, fable 2 and 3, and a lot more lol (I am married with a young child, lots of gaming time, not so much of a social life).

Anyway, I tried to play some of the older classics (baldurs gate, planescape) just could not get into them, too dated for me. Is there any hidden gems out there I may be missing?

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

What do you mean by dated? BG2 is one of the greatest RPGs ever and got an Enhanced Edition that modernizes the UI, if you don't want to deal with free mods that do so. Anyways,

@cryfreedom66 said:

What im looking for is an RPG with #1 a good story, #2 an engrossing world, #3 customization

NWN2's Mask of the Betrayer is a newer (late 2007) game with plenty of all of the above. Since NWN2 is also a toolset there are many user made modules that would fit the bill as well. If you use Kaedrins PrC Pack as well, the amount of customization is absurd (I had much fun just planning and making builds).

Also consider Drakensang River of Time (2011). The ruleset is quite complex but offers a nice amount of customization, as well as a nice story and a good looking, almost fairytale-like world. It's also chock full of skill/stat checks for conversations and has multiple branching paths during the story, if you like that sort of thing.

I should mention both of those play somewhat similar Dragon Age: Origins or the KOTORs.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@cryfreedom66 said:

Heres what I have already played- All Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3 and NV, all dragon age and ME, Divinity OS, Pretty much all modern MMos, Most FF titles, fable 2 and 3, and a lot more lol (I am married with a young child, lots of gaming time, not so much of a social life).

Anyway, I tried to play some of the older classics (baldurs gate, planescape) just could not get into them, too dated for me. Is there any hidden gems out there I may be missing?

The Witcher Series

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

The Witcher. It's a bit light on customization.. but when it comes to #1 and #2, it's absolutely amazing.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

The only recent RPG I can think of that fulfills a good story and an engrossing world is Shadowrun Dragonfall.

cryfreedom66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 cryfreedom66
Member since 2005 • 654 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

The Witcher. It's a bit light on customization.. but when it comes to #1 and #2, it's absolutely amazing.

played both witcher games as well forgot to mention...two of my favorites of all time

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

The Banner Saga

Shadowrun Returns /Dragonfall

Expeditions Conquistador

Wasteland 2

Jade Empire

Transistor

Bastion

Dust: An Elysian Tale

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@cryfreedom66 said:

Wasteland 2

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Two world 2. Though is more of a love or hate game ( some loved it others hated it ). story forgettable but there are alot of side missions with ok stories , excellent magic crafting and casting system, combat is so-so ( if you stick to magic you will enjoy it ) , huge,varied and interesting world to explore, some characters are really interesting others though are forgettable

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xCaZx
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

@cryfreedom66 said:

I would recommend the following

Metro Series (FPS, but their great games IMO, and I am not normally into FPS that much).

The legend of heroes trails in the sky (this game has older graphics, but I have enjoyed the story so far, and I got it on sale on steam for $5..I think its $20 now).

Anyway, these games may not be your cup of tea so you should probably do some research first, but I like them.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@cryfreedom66 said:

Kingdoms of amulur and dark souls series are pretty good. But kingdoms of amulur is too easy, even on hard. Dark souls is too hard.

You should get an xbox or ps3 and play dragon's dogma otherwise i would go for dark souls. The second one is bit easier though, so that would maybe be a good option.

Not to say that dark souls isn't any good though, but it's a lot of grinding and a lot of dying. Dragon's dogma is difficult as well, but you can survive if you have skill , good layout and powers and good compagnions. In dark souls you will die..

Dragon's dogma doesn't have the storyline that skyrim has but the combat , customization and graphics are way way better. The dragons in dragon's dogma and the ones in skyrim look 2 gens apart.

Dark souls has amazing artwork as well, but again, you will die.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

google line age of kungfu. age of kungfu is a fun game which is similar to martialheroes in the past.