Playing Crysis on my 32 inch LCD TV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Graedien
Member since 2002 • 786 Posts

I have a 32 inch Sony Bravia LCD TV which I use for watching HD cable and so forth, and was wondering the exact steps I would have to go through to connect my PC to it to play Crysis on it, when it eventually comes out.

This is what I think I have to do, and would appreciate any tips on whether or not this will work:

When Crysis comes out I will have a 8800 GTS 640 (The new 112 stream processor model) with DVI out ports.

Using the following cable : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MWE1E/105-8563070-7062864 I will plug my LCD TV into my computer via the HDMI port on my TV and the DVI port on my 8800gts.

Now then, what resolution would I be wanting to play at? Would 1366x768 be optimal, as that is about the same as a 720p TV broadcast? If so, then shouldn't the game actually run BETTER on the tv than on my 19 inch monitor, which is a 19 inch LCD with 1440x900 native resolution?

Also, will that cable get me good quality picture on my TV from my computer?

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
yep your totally right, lol you've answered your own question. i suggest using your 32 even though the picture will not be as good but i doubt you would notice though.
Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Graedien

Alright cool, thanks. I thought it would work out, just have never actually done it :P

Since I promised a friend of mine we'd play through Crysis together, I figure it would be much more enjoyable on the couch on a 32 inch screen then stuck side by side trying to both see on my monitor :P

NeDi2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 NeDi2004
Member since 2004 • 1415 Posts
1366x768 is the max you will get off you tv, that makes it 768p.. i think lol. But anyway i would use your tv if u can sit back and play it as you dont have to be stuck face the face in-front of a monitor. as for how will it run if you have a core 2 duo and 2 gigs of ram i say MAX as feck prob crank up AA and AF to.
milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 milsvaard
Member since 2003 • 1928 Posts
I think you mean the 8800 GT.
Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Graedien

I think you mean the 8800 GT.milsvaard

I meant this card: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8289/index.html

Its a new version of the 8800gts with 112, Stream Procs, so the GT doesn't cut into the GTS's market segment.

And as for the game not looking as good, why is that? If I sit much further away to compensate for the increased screen size (I forget the ratio to find best view distance, something like Diagonal Length x 2.5 or something), would it look the same as if I was 16 inches away from a 19 inch monitor?

jmaster299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 jmaster299
Member since 2004 • 326 Posts

[QUOTE="milsvaard"]I think you mean the 8800 GT.Graedien

Sorry, I meant this card: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8289/index.html

Its a new version of the 8800gts with 128 (not 112, sorry) Stream Procs, so the GT doesn't cut into the GTS's market segment.

And as for the game not looking as good, why is that? If I sit much further away to compensate for the increased screen size (I forget the ratio to find best view distance, something like Diagonal Length x 2.5 or something), would it look the same as if I was 16 inches away from a 19 inch monitor?

You got to watch out for one thing when playing PC games on your nice big LCD TV's. LCD TV's are bigger then your standard LCD Monitor and aren't really built to the same specs. You run the risk of "Ghosting" when trying to play on a TV. This is because of the high response times of LCD TV's. Some people experience even with DVDs or console games but hooking a PC up to the TV is even more likely to give you this issue. Ghosting is when you see a Double Image or an Image Drag especially during fast paced action like fire fights in a FPS. I'm not saying you will experience this for sure, but it does happen alot. PC games and graphics cards are specifically design to run on displays with good response times of 5ms(mili seconds) or less. LCD TV's have response times usually around 16ms or more. So if you experience this when playing, there is nothing you can do about it.

MrRoBoTNiC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrRoBoTNiC
Member since 2003 • 1352 Posts

Trust me man it will have a very nice picture quality.I do it all the time to watch movies and stuff and the image quality is very nice.

And I do it with old VGA ports so with Dvi to Hdmi it will look even better(i guess :P).

GodTheMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GodTheMark
Member since 2004 • 362 Posts
I wanted to do this same thing, but one question I had was how would I go about getting sound? Apparently an HDMI to DVI cable cannot carry sound, so what solution would be best to get the audio to my tv, or if thats not possible then to a stereo or other audio device?
oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

While playing Crysis on a 32" lcd sounds nice, nothing IMO beats 1-2 ft away from a quality 19'24" lcd or crt monitor. I have a Sony 24" FW900 and have been so immersed in games that one time I didn't know my friend came in my room until he tapped me on the shoulder which scared the hell outta me.

Big screen means you have to sit back and there's too many distractions. Like the color of paint on the wall, pictures, lights, furniture, flying bugs (maybe if you live in the country), telephone ringing, construction work outside, etc. I just simply can't get into any game like this, which sucks because I miss out on quite a few console gems.

But yeah your 32" sounds nice, give it a shot. The graphics should still look good.

shanelevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 shanelevy
Member since 2004 • 1316 Posts
That resolution on such a large TV simply won't look as crisp as on a smaller LCD (the pixels are just bigger), but it should still look great.
jmaster299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 jmaster299
Member since 2004 • 326 Posts

I wanted to do this same thing, but one question I had was how would I go about getting sound? Apparently an HDMI to DVI cable cannot carry sound, so what solution would be best to get the audio to my tv, or if thats not possible then to a stereo or other audio device?GodTheMark

Well you can either play with a good headset or get a good sound system for your PC. There are systems by companies like Logitech that can work with both PC's and Multimedia systems like DVD players and game consoles.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts
A factor nobody brought up so far is that almost no game supports 720p. It's a 16:9 res while PC LCD's are 16:10 so you might not be able to play in the native res of your LCD TV.
IQT786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IQT786
Member since 2005 • 2604 Posts

I wanted to do this same thing, but one question I had was how would I go about getting sound? Apparently an HDMI to DVI cable cannot carry sound, so what solution would be best to get the audio to my tv, or if thats not possible then to a stereo or other audio device?GodTheMark

thats one of the reasons i got a ati card built in sound card im also using a samsung 1080p

IQT786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IQT786
Member since 2005 • 2604 Posts

A factor nobody brought up so far is that almost no game supports 720p. It's a 16:9 res while PC LCD's are 16:10 so you might not be able to play in the native res of your LCD TV.Gog

lol get ur facts wright all games do support 720p aka 1280x720

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

[QUOTE="milsvaard"]I think you mean the 8800 GT.Graedien

I meant this card: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8289/index.html

Its a new version of the 8800gts with 112, Stream Procs, so the GT doesn't cut into the GTS's market segment.

The new 8800gts will have 128 stream processors. And cost around $300.

http://news.expreview.com/2007-10-16/1192531381d4181.html

CrazyFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CrazyFanboy
Member since 2005 • 639 Posts
I have a sharp AQUOS 32" 1080p (1920 x 1080) with a 8800GTX and all of my games look amazing, almost everygame supports up to 1080p now-a-days. Its also nice for doing art on my tablet, more working space. Im not sure what the response time is but I havent seen any ghosting. I think what your talking about is screen tearing, which is when the game runs faster then the screens refresh rate. So if your screen is 60 Hz, if a game goes higher then 60 fps you might notice some tearing. It isnt too noticable and you can turn on options to reduce the games fps.
cameron06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 cameron06
Member since 2005 • 266 Posts
your video card will allready come with the cables, it should some with a HD composite cable wich will turn the S video into HD composite then hook up the composite cables then at the other end is HDMI then slot that into your BRAVIA's HDMI slot then your computer will come through as HD then crysis will look really special.