Picture Guide to Computer Building and Hardware Installation (56K)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts

I have a question, I just got a new case and in one of the bags I got 3 plastic peices with tape on one side, one is rectangular and the other two are smaller square peices. I'm thinking it's for water-cooling but I want to be sure.

TheRealSuperDav
Just from what you wrote I can't tell what you are referring to. What case would this be?
Avatar image for TheRealSuperDav
TheRealSuperDav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 TheRealSuperDav
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="TheRealSuperDav"]

I have a question, I just got a new case and in one of the bags I got 3 plastic peices with tape on one side, one is rectangular and the other two are smaller square peices. I'm thinking it's for water-cooling but I want to be sure.

Luminouslight

Just from what you wrote I can't tell what you are referring to. What case would this be?

Its a Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS.

Here's the only picture I was able to find with them.

The rectangular piece of platsic I'm talking about is below the fan and the smaller square ones are above the bag of screws, they're pretty hard to see.

uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 uas-2001
Member since 2005 • 18781 Posts
Wow, you did all tha twith the equivalent to 334 pounds? Thats pretty damn good 8)
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

quick RAM installation question..

on the motherboard (asus P7P55 LX), there's 4 DIMM slots, labled A1 A2 B1 and B2. the 1's are blue and the 2's are black. and there's a larger gap between the A's and B's.

I have 2 2gb RAM cards, so am I how am I connecting them? is it A1 and A2, or A1 and B1?

I'm assuming it's A1 and A2, since they're grouped together, but this guide said that they should be color coordinated (i know it must vary from mobo to mobo), i just want to check and make sure i'm not messing anything up, as this is my first build.

GOR_TAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 GOR_TAK
Member since 2009 • 251 Posts

I need to find those EXACT rails you used in your pics. I already have a pair that I use that works with my specific case but I haven't been able to remmebr how I got them or what they came with AND haven't been able to find them anywhere on line for sale.

HELP!!!

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

quick RAM installation question..

on the motherboard (asus P7P55 LX), there's 4 DIMM slots, labled A1 A2 B1 and B2. the 1's are blue and the 2's are black. and there's a larger gap between the A's and B's.

I have 2 2gb RAM cards, so am I how am I connecting them? is it A1 and A2, or A1 and B1?

I'm assuming it's A1 and A2, since they're grouped together, but this guide said that they should be color coordinated (i know it must vary from mobo to mobo), i just want to check and make sure i'm not messing anything up, as this is my first build.

Sword-Demon
Either configuration will work correctly, but if you want to make sure you are running dual channel mode you can consult your motherboards manual to see what the proper configuration is for dual channel mode.
Joe77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Joe77
Member since 2003 • 646 Posts

One thing I would say about building a new pc is don't rush into it and buy everything in the space of a few hours, you can get better deals if you spend at least 2 or 3 days.

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Luminouslight

One thing I would say about building a new pc is don't rush into it and buy everything in the space of a few hours, you can get better deals if you spend at least 2 or 3 days.

Joe77
That is true, I waited and took almost a month selecting parts. I managed to achieve my goal with an i7 rig and 4890 for under $1000 back in May.
tabaski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 tabaski
Member since 2003 • 199 Posts
ugly case. other than that good job.
AbbyAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 AbbyAW
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
omg wow you actually can make our own pc that is a lot of hard work. its cool you can do it yourself though. i wonder thought if its cheaper to buy you own pc or buy each piece and make it yourself? congrats though the installation looks like it wouldnt be so hard (i always thought it was) if your dedicated to do it yourself.
smc91352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 smc91352
Member since 2009 • 7786 Posts
omg wow you actually can make our own pc that is a lot of hard work. its cool you can do it yourself though. i wonder thought if its cheaper to buy you own pc or buy each piece and make it yourself?AbbyAW
its definitely cheaper to make it yourself.
jamethomasn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 jamethomasn
Its a good job new user always find problem with these pictures they can easily connect their hard drive or dvd writer often they have need of it . It is so helpful to me also .Sometimes I also find problems in connecting front usb wire
vcdlangtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 vcdlangtu
Your guide so deep detail! Thanks a lot! P/s: I'm using AMD :D
BackHatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#114 BackHatch
Member since 2010 • 273 Posts
I have that same board and did have that same CPU. I think a lot of people bought that combo because thats was one of the cheapest boards that could unlock the extra cores on that Phenom X2. LOL My CPU was not stable unlocked though so I got a true X4. I still use that board, its a good board its only draw back is just 1 PCI-e slot.
The1BigBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#115 The1BigBoss
Member since 2006 • 554 Posts

Wow awesome guide, Ive always wanted to know how to build my own, I didnt realize it was this easy, thank you for the amazing guide. Now I wished i never bought my laptop knowing I could of built a desktop with twice the horsepower for the same price.

The1BigBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 The1BigBoss

Oh I have two questions also, the first, in the guide you said the final cost was 525 with shipping, did that include buying the Windows 7 os? And second probably really noobish question alot of HD tvs now have pc input, this rig you built would you be able to conect it to an HD tv? if not what would you have to get to make that possible. Im thinking about building my own soon and being able to play on an HD tv would be awesome.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 General_X

Oh I have two questions also, the first, in the guide you said the final cost was 525 with shipping, did that include buying the Windows 7 os? And second probably really noobish question alot of HD tvs now have pc input, this rig you built would you be able to conect it to an HD tv? if not what would you have to get to make that possible. Im thinking about building my own soon and being able to play on an HD tv would be awesome.

The1BigBoss
That price did not include the OS has my friend was planning on reusing his Vista Operating System on his new computer. Also that price is half a year old so prices have probably changed a bit since then. The main thing to look for when looking to connect a computer to an HDTV is to check and see if the card either has a built-in HDMI port, or has a DVI-HDMI converter bundled with it. That's really all you need.
The1BigBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 The1BigBoss

The graphics card or the mother board?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 General_X

The1BigBoss
The graphics card. Some motherboards come with HDMI ports as well BUT if you plan on gaming they are worthless since a dedicated graphics card is much much more powerful than the graphics chip that gets put on some motherboards.
IllInenIllI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 IllInenIllI
Thanks!
The1BigBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 The1BigBoss

[QUOTE="The1BigBoss"]

General_X

The graphics card. Some motherboards come with HDMI ports as well BUT if you plan on gaming they are worthless since a dedicated graphics card is much much more powerful than the graphics chip that gets put on some motherboards.

Ah I get it, which was actualy kinda my next question. What happens if I get a mobo with an on board video chip but I also want to get a graphics card, can I still use the mobo or do I need to get a mobo with no onboard video card?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 General_X

[QUOTE="General_X"][QUOTE="The1BigBoss"]

The1BigBoss

Ah I get it, which was actualy kinda my next question. What happens if I get a mobo with an on board video chip but I also want to get a graphics card, can I still use the mobo or do I need to get a mobo with no onboard video card?

Having a motherboard with onboard graphics won't make a difference, most motherboards are smart enough to disable or limit the onboard graphics chip if it detects that you have a dedicated card installed with a monitor or TV hooked up to it.
MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#123 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

For the build in the OP, would all of those pieces fit well in a Haf922 case?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 General_X

For the build in the OP, would all of those pieces fit well in a Haf922 case?

MuddVader
Yep
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

Great guide man. Jw, how come this guide didnt include RAM?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 General_X

Great guide man. Jw, how come this guide didnt include RAM?

Papadrach
Good catch, I included the RAM in the actual instructions but not in the part list. Its been corrected.
Munasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Munasha
Member since 2004 • 459 Posts
at what point does a cpu need water cooling instead of a heat sink???
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 General_X
at what point does a cpu need water cooling instead of a heat sink???Munasha
The only time water cooling is actually necessary is when you plan extreme overclocking, and even then high end heatsinks can be nearly as effective for cheaper. The other reasons people choose water cooling is due to the aesthetic value, or noise reduction.
tulipkiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 tulipkiya
Member since 2010 • 114 Posts
Amazing....Amazing...what a thread.....WHAAAAT aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa THEAd.........what a work.......... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Make it sTicky right away
Kaname19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Kaname19
this seems to be something i was looking for to learn a lot of stuff of the PCs i still dont understand, but when i try to read it, my explorer, or chrome wont show the images, i just see like 1/8 of them, like if they were croped...any chance someone can upload this to a word document or pdf or anything, i really want to read this.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Luminouslight
this seems to be something i was looking for to learn a lot of stuff of the PCs i still dont understand, but when i try to read it, my explorer, or chrome wont show the images, i just see like 1/8 of them, like if they were croped...any chance someone can upload this to a word document or pdf or anything, i really want to read this.Kaname19
This really only tells you how to assemble a computer. There is still the important part of knowing which components to pick out. But I would be more worried about fixing the problem your browser than having someone upload it into a PDF (Even though a PDF guide would be nice).
captain_joe__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 captain_joe__
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts

So if you buy a fan like this, where it's a fan/heatsink. Do you still attach the stock heatsink and put it on as a fan? Or do you do away with the heatsink that came with the CPU, since this is a heatsink as well as a fan, and just attach it directly to the CPU?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 General_X

So if you buy a fan like this, where it's a fan/heatsink. Do you still attach the stock heatsink and put it on as a fan? Or do you do away with the heatsink that came with the CPU, since this is a heatsink as well as a fan, and just attach it directly to the CPU?

captain_joe__
With that you completely ignore the stock heatsink that comes with the cpu and use that instead.
Kaname19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Kaname19
[QUOTE="Kaname19"]this seems to be something i was looking for to learn a lot of stuff of the PCs i still dont understand, but when i try to read it, my explorer, or chrome wont show the images, i just see like 1/8 of them, like if they were croped...any chance someone can upload this to a word document or pdf or anything, i really want to read this.Luminouslight
This really only tells you how to assemble a computer. There is still the important part of knowing which components to pick out. But I would be more worried about fixing the problem your browser than having someone upload it into a PDF (Even though a PDF guide would be nice).

I only had this problem while looking at this guide, using chrome, changed to internet explorer, the same thing, maybe i will download Mozilla to check, but as far as I know, it should not be browser fault, maybe some other program is not working as it should
captain_joe__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 captain_joe__
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
[QUOTE="captain_joe__"]

General_X
With that you completely ignore the stock heatsink that comes with the cpu and use that instead.

Okay, thanks.:D
imbenny44657

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 imbenny44657
that's a really nice guide & pc thx
Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

Nice guide.

Karl319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Karl319
Member since 2005 • 4390 Posts
Awesome guide, will definitely help me come 8th or 9th April when I should be assembling my first ever PC. On a mini-ranting sidenote, I sometimes wish I could enjoy the cheap prices of PC parts that newegg seems to give to you Americans :P Living on the other end of Europe has it's downsides, namely hefty taxes. $30 of my graphics card alone (HD4870 1024mb) went on taxes and shipping. Ah well, as long as I can manage to put it together and get it to run, I'll get over it. Maybe when I make my next PC some day I'll be more successful with the costs.
delsuazo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 delsuazo
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts

hmm"" i like it'

Chrnocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Chrnocide
Member since 2009 • 357 Posts
I usually have some assistance when modding my rigs, but I'd like to take a shot at this on my own. Would you be able to update the first page? I don't know if it's just me ( someone else please confirm ) but there are broken images that I think would be pretty vital.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Luminouslight
I don't see anything that is broken. From my view, looks like everything is there that needs to be there.
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Very nice. I have a question though...It says it's "A really good budget gaming rig that will be able to max most games out right now (Jul 2009)"

How does it hold up now that it's almost a year later (minus a couple months)? Of course it'll still be really good, but is there anything that should be upgraded if I was thinking about making a computer similar to this one?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 General_X

Very nice. I have a question though...It says it's "A really good budget gaming rig that will be able to max most games out right now (Jul 2009)"

How does it hold up now that it's almost a year later (minus a couple months)? Of course it'll still be really good, but is there anything that should be upgraded if I was thinking about making a computer similar to this one?

Ospov
It holds up well today but I'm sure there are several upgrades that can be made. I would suggest just making a thread on the main page with a budget and what all you want to buy (ie: tower only, tower + OS and peripherals, etc.) And I'm sure people will be along to suggest builds for you.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Luminouslight
Yeah, the choice on parts changes very rapidly because new hardware comes out at a very rapid rate. Additionally, if you want to get the most for your money, you generally have to jump on temporary deals, which come and go on a regular basis.
GOR_TAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 GOR_TAK
Member since 2009 • 251 Posts

I need to find those EXACT rails you used in your pics. I already have a pair that I use that works with my specific case but I haven't been able to remmebr how I got them or what they came with AND haven't been able to find them anywhere on line for sale.

HELP!!!

GOR_TAK

Anyone?

*in Ben Stein voice*

Bueller? BUELLER?

I really need those rails!!!

Prejler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Prejler

This is a freakin' amasing guide for a guy like me who is not good at com hardware nor have I ever built a computer myself before.

Thanks.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
These are some very noobish questions but are what are shown good enough to run games like GTA4 on high or would I need a better graphic card and only that? Also, are these specs given good for years to come, like would I have to buy another motherboard to get a better performance in RAM and other components? I have the money right now and have been planning on building my own because I hear its cheaper doing so then going out in retail and buying a HP or w/e.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 General_X
These are some very noobish questions but are what are shown good enough to run games like GTA4 on high or would I need a better graphic card and only that? Also, are these specs given good for years to come, like would I have to buy another motherboard to get a better performance in RAM and other components? I have the money right now and have been planning on building my own because I hear its cheaper doing so then going out in retail and buying a HP or w/e. Fuhgeddabouditt
GTAIV is an interesting example because unlike other console ports, GTAIV is incredibly difficult to run. I would recommend no less than an AMD Phenom II Quadcore or Intel Core i5 combined with a respectable graphics card to play GTAIV at respectable levels. And while several of those parts are dated now or unavailable, similar parts at similar prices will still offer really nice performance for most games except a small handful (Crysis, Metro 2033, GTAIV, and maybe BC2)
blaze3339

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 blaze3339

i am trying to buy a new computer and have been going over this thread over and over but im still not sure if i have all i need and its making me feel like a dumbass considering that ive gone over this thread so many times but my question is are these parts all compatable i know this isnt a super computer or anything but i dont have much cash right now so here are the parts

Tower:Raidmax SCORPIO Gaming 886 with 420w power supply
Motherboard:ASRock P43DE ATX Intel LGA775 with sound and internet card built-in
Ram:GeIL 2GB Value PC2-6400
Video Card:Force3D Radeon HD5750 1GB GDDR5
CD Driver:Sony NEC DVD-player SATA
Processor:Pentium Dual Core E6500 Wolfdale (OEM)
2.93GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB
Hard Drive:Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2

and here are the links for the parts (i higly doubt you will be able to understand what it says)

http://www.computer.is/vorur/5041/
http://www.kisildalur.is/?p=2&id=611
http://www.kisildalur.is/?p=2&id=1038
http://www.kisildalur.is/?p=2&id=1091
http://www.kisildalur.is/?p=2&id=1209
http://www.kisildalur.is/?p=2&id=710
http://www.kisildalur.is/?p=2&id=1299