Pico Projector for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

picogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 picogamer
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you had any experience with gaming on a projector? I mostly game on my laptop and my PS3, so I need something that can hook up to both of these. I was considering pico projectors specifically because of its portable nature and the ability to just carry it around. I frequently game at my friend's place, so it'll be nice to bring a small-ish projector around instead of lugging my monitor. I was specifically looking at these two projectors: Optoma PK320: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-PK320-Pico-Pocket-Projector/dp/B0057CWRIY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342477715&sr=1-1&keywords=optoma+pk320 AAXA P4X: http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-P4X-Projector-Lumens-Battery/dp/B007CWDFP6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342477211&sr=1-3&keywords=p4x Both of these seem like they perform pretty well under some low ambient lighting, but what I'm really concerned about is the ghosting issue. I play a lot of FPS games where ghosting does have an effect on my performance, so I need to make sure that it's negligible at best. Can anyone offer any input on this?
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Mini projectors are low res, not bright enough and won't give good contrast.

I would not recommend a projector for fps.

picogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 picogamer
Hey kraken, what do you think about this video though? It's the aaxa M2, rated at only 110 lumens. It seems like it's plenty bright enough and also not much ghosting issues. I think I might go with this model instead of the PK320 or the P4x cause its a bit brighter, but it kinda sucks that it has to be connected to the electric outlet all the time. do you guys think there's much difference in 10 lumens, or should I just go with the P4-x for portability? Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kTavjugEzk
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
[QUOTE="picogamer"]Hey kraken, what do you think about this video though? It's the aaxa M2, rated at only 110 lumens. It seems like it's plenty bright enough and also not much ghosting issues. I think I might go with this model instead of the PK320 or the P4x cause its a bit brighter, but it kinda sucks that it has to be connected to the electric outlet all the time. do you guys think there's much difference in 10 lumens, or should I just go with the P4-x for portability? Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kTavjugEzk

It's in a pitch black room, that's why it's bright enough. Having never used one I can't really comment, but 1024x768 isn't a great res. You could always buy one and take it back if you hate it.
picogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 picogamer
Alright cool. Thanks Kraken. I ordered a P4X off www.aaxatech.com, just waiting for it to be shipped. It seems like we're in the same area so hopefully I can get it pretty fast. I'm going over to my buddy's place in a couple days so I'll bring it along and maybe record a video. Hopefully it meets my expectations haha.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

I would recommend you get a decent PROPER projector.. Like for example the Optoma HD20. GREAT 1080p projector

GamerLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GamerLibrarian
How did the pico projector turn out? I am a librarian that offers gaming events for teens (drop in play and tournaments). I currently lug 3-4 large projectors + consoles and peripherals. Lugging this stuff all over the place is a pain. I like the idea of streamlining my process with pico projectors. It would be awesome if you could provide an update on your experience. I need the image quality to be high enough that we can read words on the screen. Karaoke games and other music games are lame if you can't read the lyrics. Thanks!
TamraBeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TamraBeas
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="picogamer"]Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you had any experience with gaming on a projector? I mostly game on my laptop and my PS3, so I need something that can hook up to both of these. I was considering pico projectors specifically because of its portable nature and the ability to just carry it around. I frequently game at my friend's place, so it'll be nice to bring a small-ish projector around instead of lugging my monitor. I was specifically looking at these two projectors: Optoma PK320: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-PK320-Pico-Pocket-Projector/dp/B0057CWRIY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342477715&sr=1-1&keywords=optoma+pk320 AAXA P4X: http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-P4X-Projector-Lumens-Battery/dp/B007CWDFP6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342477211&sr=1-3&keywords=p4x Both of these seem like they perform pretty well under some low ambient lighting, but what I'm really concerned about is the ghosting issue. I play a lot of FPS games where ghosting does have an effect on my performance, so I need to make sure that it's negligible at best. Can anyone offer any input on this?

Maybe you can look this pocket projector Benq GP2, Product Features All-in-one iPhone/iPod dock, Mini HDMI port for iPad, USB & Streaming USB connections HD/WXGA (1280x800) Native Resolution, Full HD Ready Bright 200 LED powered ANSI Lumens with 2400:1 Contrast Ratio LED Light Source, up to 30,000 lamp hours Optional Battery and 2W Speakers
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kraken2109

Old thread bumped by bot, move along guys.

TamraBeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TamraBeas
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I suggest a mini projector BenQ GP2 for you if you want use to home and business presentation. Product Features All-in-one iPhone/iPod dock, Mini HDMI port for iPad, USB & Streaming USB connections HD/WXGA (1280x800) Native Resolution, Full HD Ready Bright 200 LED powered ANSI Lumens with 2400:1 Contrast Ratio LED Light Source, up to 30,000 lamp hours Optional Battery and 2W Speakers The GP2 Supports Just About Anything The GP2 connects to your everyday home entertainment and personal media devices with a simple plug n play! USB Display With the GP2, you wont need a D-sub cable! Connect it to your computer using a USB cable instead. USB File Transfer Transfer your multimedia files to the 2GB internal storage to travel light. It is easier carry when you go anywhere. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006A93M7I/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&tag=casxre0b-20&creativeASIN=B006A93M7I&linkCode=as2
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109

Still a necro thread, move along