Pease help: 3D animation student who needs to pick a laptop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

I've been looking at notebooks online today, and I've been gravitating greatly towards Sony Vaio, because I've had very positive experiences with their desktop PCs (mine is 5 years old and still kicking), and Alienware (however, I've read mixed reviews about them from users). I don't want to spend more than $2400 because I only qualify for a limited student loan (much of this PC will have to be paid for out of my own pocket). Something around the $2000 range would be good, and I'm especially interested in ones where I can use a student discount.

Basically, since I am going to be learning 3D animation, I want something that packs a good punch in terms of power and graphical abilities. I do not know a whole lot about the PC hardware scene since I'm primarily a console gamer, but I know that I'm going to at least need a 256MB Geoforce 7600 Go, and a 2-2.16GB Core 2 Duo processor or equivelent. I don't want to break the bank to get 2.33GHz because I know I'll probably end up replacing this thing with a powerful desktop after I graduate anyway.

The ones that I'm currently looking at are listed below, and I'll explain what I like about it and what I'm potentially concerned about. I hope someone can give me some good advice as to which would be good, or if I should be looking at something completely different.

BTW, since the links to the Sony Style website are blocked due to the Gamespot's exploit protection, just replace the "****" in the links with the word "style".

Sony Vaio VGN-FE890

http://www.sony****com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/120x120/FE890.jpg" alt=" " />

http://www.sony****com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_CTO-Start

What I like: Has all the GHz and RAM I want availible; offers Geforce 7600 Go graphics card; built-in webcam (I really like this feature); around $2000

What concerns me: Only offers Norton Internet Protection (I want Antivirus as well); I can't find any reviews for it at CNET

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ190

http://www.sony****com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_CTO-Start?ProductSKU=R1NBSU07

What I like about it: All power/memory options I want; it's got a GeForce 8400M GT, which I assume is a lot better than the 7600 Go; That built in webcam that I so desire; Optional Blu-Ray drive; all around solid looking; comes with less crummy studio software that I won't use, helping price

What concerns me: As before, no Norton Antivirus, and also CNET has no reviews.

Alienware Auroro m9700

http://www.alienware.com/configurator_pages/aurora_m9700.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AURORAM9700-AB&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT&tag=1

What I like about it: Powerful, looks ubersleek, positive CNET review; has webcam; lots of protection software; includes a year of support service

What concerns me: expensive; does not support multicore processors; some very negative user reviews at CNET, specifically regarding customer service

So, am I gravitating towards a lot of crap, or is one of these notebooks actually good enough that I should consider buying it? And if so, which one?

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

Don't get caught up in the software like anitvirus or junkware.

Keep your sites set at hardware targets.

I'm not too good with the requirements of 3D modelling (especially on a laptop), but you should be aiming for something like:

- 1.80+ GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1-2GB of RAM (2GB for Vista, 1GB should do for XP)
- I imagine some sort of mobile GPU would be good. The 7600 GO is an excellent contender for your general needs (ATi has more powerful GPUs for the high end however IIRC).
- Wireless Networking capabilities (included in a Centrino Duo package)
- good sized HDD, around 80-160GB.
- XP Pro or Windows Vista

Just be concerned about those main features, and not too much about stuff like cameras and looks. Those won't help with your work, and will often cost more than they should. Besides, many can be added on in the future.

For laptops, I say that Dell are great. They've got good build quality, and it's pretty easy to select the parts you want at the price you want.

j3ninja10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 j3ninja10
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts
macbook pro, then you dont have to worry about virus as much
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Timstuff

macbook pro, then you dont have to worry about virus as muchj3ninja10

Last night I would have agreed wholeheartedly, but since then it's come to my attention that while Macbooks are great for 2D imaging like Adobe CS, it's not as good for things like Maya. As much as I would like to jump on the Mac bandwagon, to do so would be shooting myself in the foot since the 3D animation field is increasingly PC-based, and learning the PC scene will be part of my career in all likeliness. Also, the school that I'll be going to has a PC-based graphics lab.

Anyway, at this point I'm strongly considering the VGN-FZ190, equipped with a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of Ram, a 160GB HDD, Vista Premium, a DVD burner (I might get Blu-Ray playback support too, but I'm undecided as to wether I should be spending that kind of money), and the GeForce 8400M GT, which I've become aware is DirectX 10 compatable. So I'll have the power for my art, graphics, and video editing, as well as the ability to blow off some steam in Crysis in-between. :)

luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 luamhtrad
Member since 2003 • 1997 Posts
Get a Dell Precision M90. It comes with a Quadro Go which was made to run 3D rendering software like Maya and 3DS Max.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Timstuff

Get a Dell Precision M90. It comes with a Quadro Go which was made to run 3D rendering software like Maya and 3DS Max.luamhtrad

I just checked it out, and I think that the price caused me to temporarily go into cardiac arrest. It's over $3000 with the specs that I want, and I want something around $2000. Remember, I'm a student, and I'm probably going to be replacing this thing after I graduate anyway.

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts
Alienware's superman edition laptop looks like it would fit your needs with a mobile 1800 it would perform better then the geforce 7600go and it would be less expensive then upgrading the otehr alien ware notebook you have posted, it also has a dual core processor.
luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 luamhtrad

[QUOTE="luamhtrad"]Get a Dell Precision M90. It comes with a Quadro Go which was made to run 3D rendering software like Maya and 3DS Max.Timstuff

I just checked it out, and I think that the price caused me to temporarily go into cardiac arrest. It's over $3000 with the specs that I want, and I want something around $2000. Remember, I'm a student, and I'm probably going to be replacing this thing after I graduate anyway.

So get one off of www.delloutlet.com and save some money. I got my M1210 from there for like a grand or so.

el_carl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 el_carl
Member since 2006 • 2376 Posts

[QUOTE="j3ninja10"]macbook pro, then you dont have to worry about virus as muchTimstuff

Last night I would have agreed wholeheartedly, but since then it's come to my attention that while Macbooks are great for 2D imaging like Adobe CS, it's not as good for things like Maya. As much as I would like to jump on the Mac bandwagon, to do so would be shooting myself in the foot since the 3D animation field is increasingly PC-based, and learning the PC scene will be part of my career in all likeliness. Also, the school that I'll be going to has a PC-based graphics lab.

Anyway, at this point I'm strongly considering the VGN-FZ190, equipped with a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of Ram, a 160GB HDD, Vista Premium, a DVD burner (I might get Blu-Ray playback support too, but I'm undecided as to wether I should be spending that kind of money), and the GeForce 8400M GT, which I've become aware is DirectX 10 compatable. So I'll have the power for my art, graphics, and video editing, as well as the ability to blow off some steam in Crysis in-between. :)

That would be a great laptop, but the 8400m gt is really weak. I would recommend a better gpu. I doubt you would be running crysis on anything higher then the lowest settings.
burnsniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 burnsniper
Member since 2006 • 364 Posts

I would check with your school and see what they recommend. Many art schools and programs require Macs. Also, if PC gaming isn't a priority I would just go with whatever they recommend.

Also, I would not buy the laptop until just before school starts to guarentee you get the best deal/specifications.

frizzyman0292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 frizzyman0292
Member since 2007 • 2855 Posts

I really recomend getting a MBP they are great for video editing, animation, photography. They are killer. I reccomend getting the MBP 17 inch with 2 or 3 gigs of ram and a 250 gig hdd.

You will be the happiest with a macbook pro then any other comp

el_carl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 el_carl
Member since 2006 • 2376 Posts

I really recomend getting a MBP they are great for video editing, animation, photography. They are killer. I reccomend getting the MBP 17 inch with 2 or 3 gigs of ram and a 250 gig hdd.

You will be the happiest with a macbook pro then any other comp

frizzyman0292
Make sure you put xp on it though. So then you can play your games.
GMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 GMafia
Member since 2006 • 105 Posts
alright man, im surprised you havent check out Macs because those comps are mainly for production...especially animation. Macs are used in almost every school and college for production because apple provides, well software thats on apple provide some of the best animation programs. I would seriously go looking at apple.com. They have like everything your looking for plus it will greatly help you in your animation career. And i do have an alienware pc and they are great, but I mention the macs because of what they provide the best.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

[QUOTE="j3ninja10"]macbook pro, then you dont have to worry about virus as muchel_carl

That would be a great laptop, but the 8400m gt is really weak. I would recommend a better gpu. I doubt you would be running crysis on anything higher then the lowest settings.

Bleh, I guess I have to keep looking if the 8400m sucks. I really wish the Precision M90's weren't so friggin' expensive though, because one of those would be really nice. Even the refurbished ones are in the 3g price range though. :?

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Timstuff
BTW, does the 8400m GT really suck, or is it just not "teh most uber" DX10 mobile card on the market? Is it better than the 7600 Go!, or worse?
Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts
rse nad i would suggust you look at the laptop i suggusted it will probbaly do what you wnat it to do for under 2k.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Timstuff
The Superman laptop is an Area 51, and I've read a few more less-than-satasfied reviews for those than I'm comfortable with.
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Get a Dell e1705. For about $2000, you get a 17" screen, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 7900gs, 2GB 667MHz DDR2, DVD burner, and lots more...
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#19 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

If you're serious about animation as a career, then I would seriously suggest something with a workstation graphics chip for a Windows-based laptop (Quadro or FireGL), or a Mac, since their drivers for said hardware doesn't differentiate between 'workstation' and 'gamer' like on Windows. For example, the Quadro FX4500 that Apple currently offers in the Mac Pro will perform as well in OS X games like a 7900GTX would on Windows, since that's what is the hardware equivalent of. What happens is that the differences in firmware logic and drivers provided are what make workstation graphics suck at gaming on Windows. You really think with the prices of what it costs to design a GPU architecture that they're going to spend a whole lot of time segmenting (hardware-wise) between the dude that is going to run Doom 3 all day vs. the dude running 3DStudio Max all day?

The reason that workstation cards also cost a lot more is because they provide a lot of extra software in their bundles that are useful in workstation systems, too, as well as additional accessories to really make the most of the hardware you do get. Drivers for workstation cards focus on extreme high precision, to be able to accurately render as opposed to simply render it fast.

On the Apple side, there is a lot of really quality software available that would make animation work great. The school likely uses Windows PC's as a majority because it gets an MSDN contract, but in reality, creative fields like animation have Macs as the majority. And it isn't as if you can't run Windows on a Mac anymore either. So if worse comes to worse, you can still install a copy of Windows (on a separate partition) and have a dual-boot between Windows XP/Vista, and OS X. Not to mention, Macs do get you more attention from the hotties on campus, and makes a great convo piece so you'd be more likely to get laid. ;) :lol: That's something no PC for any amount of money could buy.

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

Get a Dell e1705. For about $2000, you get a 17" screen, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 7900gs, 2GB 667MHz DDR2, DVD burner, and lots more...-GeordiLaForge-

I have one of these (called the Inspiron 9400 in Canada) and I love it.  It's fast, powerful and fairly cheap.  Mind you it's pretty heavy though, so if you're gonna be lugging it around you'll build up lots of muscles ;) 

luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 luamhtrad

Bleh, I guess I have to keep looking if the 8400m sucks. I really wish the Precision M90's weren't so friggin' expensive though, because one of those would be really nice. Even the refurbished ones are in the 3g price range though. :? Timstuff

Just went on the Dell Outlet page and found this one:

M90 Notebook
(System Identifier: EP9X7162)

Precision Mobile Workstation M90 Notebook: Intel Core Duo processor T2600 (2.16GHz/667Mhz)
Genuine Windows XP Pro

System Price : $1,879.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Pro
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive
100 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Video
512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M (dedicated), OpenGL
Media Bay
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Base
Precision Mobile Workstation M90 Notebook: Intel Core Duo processor T2600 (2.16GHz/667Mhz)
Hardware Upgrade
Hardware is Microsoft Vista Capable
9 Cell Primary Battery
Software Upgrade
Roxio Creator Delux
NoteBook Screen
17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Notebook Screen
Network Interface Card
3945 802.11a/g Wireless Mini Card
Bluetooth Wireless Card

What more do you want?

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Timstuff

I'll keep Dell in mind, but I'm not sure I trust a refurbished PC. I've still got my eye on the Vaio for now. Here's the setup I was looking at.

Color:
Keyboard Black
Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 / 2.2 GHz
Memory:
2 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667, 1 GBx2))
Hard Drive:
200 GB Hard Disk Drive
Movie Pack:
None Movie Pack
Optical Drive:
DVD+-R Double Layer / DVD+-RW Drive
LCD Display:
15.4" WXGA HiColor with Web Camera
Graphics Card:
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Battery:
Large Capacity Lithium-ion Battery (BPL8)
Wireless Lan:
802.11abgn with BT

The price is under $2000, and it includes Windows Vista. I will keep Dell Outlet in mind since it would be wise to consider an actual workstation laptop, but as I said before, I'm a little wary of getting something that's refurbished, and I want something with Vista (also, my brother had a bad experience with his Dell). Vaios are built like tanks from the experience I've had, so I trust them a lot.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Timstuff
Bleh... As much as it pains me to admit, I don't think I should be buying a new PC yet. I'm not actually going to be transferring to the school where I'll be learning animation until next year, so if I buy a PC right now it'll basically be a fancy toy that won't be so hot when I actually go to school. If I wait until next year to get my PC, I'll probably have much better options as well as more money to actually spend on one. Ain't much sense in running out and getting something that'll be obsolete by the time I need it.