#1 Edited by Horgen (120581 posts) -

Naturally the ones writing the specifications for upcoming standards are a bit ahead of what we consumers can buy. If I get this right, PCIE 4 which will be more or less introduced with the coming Rysen processors will offer double bandwidth over PCIE 3. PCIE 5 twice of what PCIE 4 delivers. So 2X for PCIE 4, 4X for PCIE 5 and 8X for PCIE 6 compared to today. And ready in 2021. You guys think we will see it that fast?

SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--PCI-SIG Developers Conference 2019 – PCI-SIG® today announced that PCI Express®(PCIe®) 6.0 technology will double the data rate to 64 GT/s while maintaining backwards compatibility with previous generations and delivering power efficiency and cost-effective performance. The PCIe 6.0 specification is actively targeted for release in 2021.

#PCISIG announces the upcoming #PCIe 6.0 specification, which will reach 64GT/s transfer rates, include PAM-4 encoding and maintain backwards compatibility

Tweet this

PCIe 6.0 Specification Features

• Delivers 64 GT/s raw bit rate and up to 256 GB/s via x16 configuration
  • Utilizes PAM-4 (Pulse Amplitude Modulation with 4 levels) encoding and leverages existing 56G PAM-4 in the industry
  • Includes low-latency Forward Error Correction (FEC) with additional mechanisms to improve bandwidth efficiency
  • Maintains backwards compatibility with all previous generations of PCIe technology

“PCI Express technology has established itself as a pervasive I/O technology by sustaining bandwidth improvements for five generations over two decades,” Dennis Martin, an analyst at Principled Technologies, said. “With the PCIe 6.0 specification, PCI-SIG aims to answer the demands of such hot markets as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, networking, communication systems, storage, High-Performance Computing, and more.”

“Continuing the trend we set with the PCIe 5.0 specification, the PCIe 6.0 specification is on a fast timeline,” Al Yanes, PCI-SIG Chairman and President, said. “Due to the continued commitment of our member companies, we are on pace to double the bandwidth yet again in a time frame that will meet industry demand for throughput.”

To learn more about PCI-SIG, visit www.pcisig.com.

Source

#2 Posted by urbangamez (3491 posts) -

according to their server roadmap intel said they were gonna do pci-e 5 along with ddr 5 memory support in 2021 at computex, so I can see amd launching pcie 6 in 2022 at the earliest unless intel abandons pci-e 5

#3 Posted by Horgen (120581 posts) -

@urbangamez said:

according to their server roadmap intel said they were gonna do pci-e 5 along with ddr 5 memory support in 2021 at computex, so I can see amd launching pcie 6 in 2022 at the earliest unless intel abandons pci-e 5

DDR4 memory will be nice. Probably lower voltage than now and even higher speed. I'll upgrade to 32 or 64GB when I upgrade to DDR5 I guess. Still 16GB, had it since 2012 or so.

#4 Posted by Alucrd2009 (749 posts) -

new tech ist not noticable like before, the difference between mx 400 and 5200 was like 20 times better, nowdays we hit a barrier that we achieved a stop

#5 Posted by Random_Matt (4243 posts) -

Intels next sales pitch when a new socket arrives.

#6 Posted by urbangamez (3491 posts) -

@horgen said:
@urbangamez said:

DDR4 memory will be nice. Probably lower voltage than now and even higher speed. I'll upgrade to 32 or 64GB when I upgrade to DDR5 I guess. Still 16GB, had it since 2012 or so.

if gaming devs focus on visual fidelity I think 16gb will be the minimum and 32gb ram will be the recommended standard for games soon.

im also hoping that devs will start building games that can make use of pcie 4 and upwards so performance and visual fidelity in games can increase, because I think its time for 1080p to be retired and 1440p to be the standard with 4k ultimately being the goal for games, not just 4k 60fps but 4k 120fps. this will require more not just more efficient programming but better hardware than what we have presently

#7 Posted by Horgen (120581 posts) -

@urbangamez said:
@horgen said:
@urbangamez said:

if gaming devs focus on visual fidelity I think 16gb will be the minimum and 32gb ram will be the recommended standard for games soon.

im also hoping that devs will start building games that can make use of pcie 4 and upwards so performance and visual fidelity in games can increase, because I think its time for 1080p to be retired and 1440p to be the standard with 4k ultimately being the goal for games, not just 4k 60fps but 4k 120fps. this will require more not just more efficient programming but better hardware than what we have presently

1440 is already the new 1080 for many. 120FPS require much more of the processor and RAM as well.