PC Vet Back for Another Build

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MOSSBERG_E-Rock
MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MOSSBERG_E-Rock
Member since 2004 • 3049 Posts

Howdy PC Hardware forum. Back in 2006 when I built my first PC I frequented these forums on the regular. Due to finishing school, work, and all other types of random activities I've kind of fallen off on the information department of new hardware. I'm here for the (always) trustworthy help of this forum. This may be a longer post so there is your warning and I will be asking a lot of questions. Thanks ahead of time for all the coming help.

I'm planning on building a pretty awesome PC that will run BF3 on (Hopefully) highest settings. I will go ahead and say that I don't need a monitor due to my 42" 3d Panasonic nor will I need speakers. (Although I will take suggestions on a great pair of headphones)

I have a decnt rig now but I don't really want to upgrade it so I can use it for othe applications. Unless performance would be on par with a brand new one which I'm guessing won't be the case.

My current setup:

c2d @3.4ghz

EVGA 680i MoBo

4gb DDR2

2x9800gtx

Gaming wise that's what I'm currently working with. All other aspects are irrelevant unless upgrading then I'd need a new PSU. But like I said that isn't what I'm really here for.

My budget is 1500-2000 USD but keep in mind I'd also like to water cool this system just because I've never been able to do it before due to funds. A quick Newegg search will show what parts I'm looking at going with but I'm completely open to suggestions, warnings, statements and criticisms for all parts. This includes cases, watercooling equipment, different sites to ask on or dinner suggestions so please don't be shy.

CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

MoBo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188082

RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

GPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587

AGAIN, this was a very quick run through of Newegg to throw a blueprint together. I will be doing my research as well as reading reviews and make changes as I see fit. I also know that I didn't list all parts. I'm taking suggestions for a PSU, HDD and any other part you may think I need. This forum is always very helpful so I'll just go with the flow. I'm also wondering when the "New" generation of parts will be coming out and if it would be worth it to just wait a few more months to build the ultimate rig.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Well drop the i7 2600k to a i5 2500k no difference.... no need for a motherboard like that, The GTX 580 isnt the best price to performance ratio gpu aim for a overclocked GTX 570 and get nearly the same performance for nearly $200 less. Then also If you wait a little while AMD's 8 core bulldozers will be out.

Avatar image for MOSSBERG_E-Rock
MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MOSSBERG_E-Rock
Member since 2004 • 3049 Posts

Thanks for that. Yea I'll certainly be in learning mode for the next few weeks before I drop money on anything. Do you know the timeframe for the 8cores?

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Thanks for that. Yea I'll certainly be in learning mode for the next few weeks before I drop money on anything. Do you know the timeframe for the 8cores?

shadow1988

they launch supposedly september 19th on the button the flag will launch as well as 1 six and 2-3 quads there will be no dual or tri cores this time round apparently (mobile lineup unknown). followed 2 months later (within) by the sister 8 one hexa and the remaining quad's