PC parts....did I get it right?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

citizen-zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 citizen-zero
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts

Ok, here are the parts I plan to get:

Video card:

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=018802&cid=999.243.390

Motherboard:

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=018848&cid=MB.157

CPU:

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=018295&cid=CPU.84

RAM:

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=017450&cid=RAM.346.983

Now, before anyone calls me an ignorant noob....let me explain why I'm using a crossfire motherboard with an Nvidia cideo card. I've been researching this topic for over a month, and basically, the SLI chips (Nvidia 7's and 6's) are very unstable. I'm trying to build a stable PC. I'm getting the expensive nvidia card because it's more future-friendly. I don't have the money to get a new computer every 6 months, so I'm trying to get one that will serve me for several years. Also, the GTX260 has physx, which is an advantage over ATI. Also, the nvidia card has more ram, which will likely prove to be an advantage when newer games (Alan wake) come out. Basically, there are reasons why the GTX260 is so much more expensive then the 4870.....it's better for the future. Also, I don't have the money to get two 4870's, so i'm looking for the best single card solution. Anyone see any other problems with my build?

Mam00th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mam00th
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts
Every 8000+ nVidia GPU can have physiX
Mam00th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mam00th
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

Oh and regarding that GTX260 vs HD4870, The HD4870 is better then the GTX260 in many games while costing less and the physiX thingy not only isn't enabled yet, but the same thing can be and will be done with ATi cards because it's just a matter of architecture.

BTW, 2 HD4870 is less expensive then a single GTX280 which is the best single card solution (Well the 9800 GX2 is a single card solution but still)

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
The GTX280 and GTX260 cards prices are suppose to drop today. $90 and $30 respectively to their partners but I'm not sure on what the exact numbers will be for the retail price tag.
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts
I'd change the card for the hd4870.
george_hopkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 george_hopkins
Member since 2005 • 1397 Posts

P5Q is a good motherboard, however, don't even think about getting the GTX 260. The truth is, the 4870 is cheaper and outperforms it in nearly everything. And also, as you're getting a crossfire motherboard it would make a LOT more sense to get an ATI card as you could add another one when they get cheaper and get awesome performance. DDR3 is a waste of money at the moment by the way. Just get a good 4gb set of DDR2 6400. Theres not MUCH difference. Also the 4870 has GDDR5 whilst the GTX 260 has GDDR3 so in that sense, the ATI card is better for the future.

matrixian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 matrixian
Member since 2003 • 624 Posts
Just get a p43 or P45 motherboard if you really want that GTX 260, there's no point in buying a Crossfire mobo with that video card.
marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts
George Ur Wrongshow me Benchmark of game like Crysis or game that take lot of energy Defeat sliGTX 280
ever heard word sli ? it a thing you put into a machine after year or few month to boost ur video game
then tri sli if you still have money and strong power supply unit
i read all major review website which is amand hardocp : tomhwarde : bit tech : 3dguru : tweaktoww 3dGamesman
and i don't see CROSSFIRE VS SLI GTx 260 : WIN IN The end of 1920x1200 monitor : all high : Win at all or neither with GTX 280 when will people stop make FAKE BENCHMARK CONCLUSION ALL WHAT MATTER ARE LINK on HARDOCP
3dguru : Tom-hardware : bit-tech : amandtech & any trust full Review
want all my review of video card there liker 12 Link of them
show me where CROSSFIRE DEFEAT SLI and don't say i don't make sense Benchmark is the only way to know something

Remember GDDR4 3870X2 ? it doesn't defeat GX2 And as same memory size and more Steam processor
while Gx2 as GDDR3 : and nvidia is intending to go GDDR5 By end Of this Year. or at most. late by around march 2009
with A new card that i think they said 300+ Series with GDDr5 but back to the thing
where did you see Crossfire HD4870 vs : Sli GTX 260 & 280 : it expensive compare to crossfire : only 400$ more
but in the end you gain more performance as i see
marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marcthpro
You mean he should buy . 780i or 790i or 790i ultra motherboard for run it the sli & tri sli
i think p43 & P45 aren't sli compatible Submit
matrixian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 matrixian

You mean he should buy . 780i or 790i or 790i ultra motherboard for run it the sli & tri sli
i think p43 & P45 aren't sli compatible Submitmarcthpro

I know you can't have sli on P43/P45, but the TC doesn't want an nForce mobo because he thinks they're buggy. And he prefers the gtx 260 over the hd4870 because the latter doesn't support Physx... yet.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 marcthpro
that stupid to get a nvidia card on a mobo crossfire nfroce mobo are not buggy they got updated XFX & EVGA motherbord are pretty fine
kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts

Marcthpro, you can possibly speak English as your first language, can you?

OP, for that much money you should be getting an X38 board such as the Abit IX38. It's better for overclocking and offers full 16x/16x CrossFire. Also, why not go with a HD 4870? It offers better performance in most cases and it costs quite a bit less. The processor is fine, albeit a little overkill, but you can find it $20 cheaper at NCIX.com.

george_hopkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 george_hopkins

George ur Wrong show me Benchmark of game like Crysis or game that take lot of energy Defeat sli GTX 280
ever heard word sli ? it a thing you put into a machine after year or few month to boost ur video game
then tri sli if you still have money and strong psu
i readed all major review website wich is amand hardocp : tomhwarde : bit tech : 3dguru : tweaktoww 3dGamesman
and i don't see CROSSFIRE VS SLI GTx 260 : WIN IN The end of 1920x1200 monitor : all high : Win at all or neither with GTX 280 when will people stop make FAKE BENCHMARK CONCLUSION ALL WHAT MATTER ARE LINK on HARDOCP
3dguru : Tomhardware : bit-tech : amandtech & any trusefull Review
want all my reviw of video card there liker 12 LInk of them
show me where CROSSFIRE DEFEAT SLI and don't say i don't make sense Benchmark is the only way to know someting
marcthpro

He said he didn't have enough money to upgrade all the time you bell. And how exactly do you expect to do SLI on a Crossfire motherboard? I didn't say crossfire would defeat SLI but it does cost a damn sight less lol. Here in the UK, a GTX 260 is £260 and a 4870 is £180. That's half the price already and at half the price it offers VERY similar performance to the GTX 260. Sure, if you have a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a computer then SLI GTX 280s or 260s will offer the best performance.

By the way, the VERY VAST majority of SLI motherboards are absolute garbage. Crysis is also crap so theres no point spending a huge amount of extra money to get playable frames on it.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 marcthpro
Why garbage what is Garbarber with XFX & EVGA motherboard Brand ? you put cpu ? A os. ram : video card and it stable .
matrixian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 matrixian

That's half the price already and at half the price it offers VERY similar performance to the GTX 260.

george_hopkins

The HD4870 is faster than the GTX 260 in most cases.

SLI GTX 280s or 260s will offer the best performance.

george_hopkins

When Crossfire works, CF 4870 can even beat SLI GTX 280.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 marcthpro
true on call of duty 4 that nice that this game is well support by CF but i mean CF should be stronger some game it give lame advantage while every game take advance for sli or so. from 2006 + as long you go more resolution then the most played resolution 1280x1024

anyway i haven't heard much garbage Feature inside XFX & EVGA motherboard when you read spec and review and how my Friends have it and it work i don't see Garbage Feature will make ur window xp crash randomly feature * :)
hey my bad if i speak English bad sometimes i type a little too fast and I'm negligent with my grammars
like sometime i forget my CAP on a Word Like English is with an E not an e
glad i see the check spelling feature it help me to save time and post more on forum and think more about pc stuff

i wouldn't care if my English grammar is only knowing. 5,000 word without mistake since i know already 4,000 word in french that i don't mistake when i spoken it with voice or Text
I can speak English without a good accent in out-world of Internet. but I'm French it explain some
not French Of France tough don't start a anti-French stuff like we Saved you in France. so learn English and respect us like god
American did nothing in world war to be honest. they just give us some support and. in the end help a little
the main war was dispute by English : German : Canadians : Italians : French : Australian & some other country
just letting you know. I'm pretty intelligent i know that half of American are racist against my kind of civilisation just because
in a video game voice chat or text chat they hear a mistake in English that seem so wrong for them and then hear some french voice so they go all ALGAUBALBHAHa IM MAD
even Americans of north America can't know more then 98% of there word possible and perfect grammary
and this is does of young people who talk in sms & stuff & a part of it the rap of the people like 50 cent & cypress hill
who rhythm the word in English in a way but the music still good
this is off-topic but a reply to you
Kodex1717
as long we can understand each other from english to french. that fine for me
the British most of them make more mistake in speaking english then my accent. and text and they are the fondator of English text & voice it realy weird cause when a british speak to me i have to make him repeat what he say into a clearer way all time
he liek ur knowa whata isaw.a guy1 one with a snipa downz the hill in a not understanding way in games even american are like shut up BRITISH and I'm far of being racist i just say speak so-meting we can understand that all :P
MajinFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MajinFix
Member since 2005 • 480 Posts

true on call of duty 4 that nice that this game is well support by CF but i mean CF should be stronger some game it give lame advantage while every game take advance for sli or so. from 2006 + as long you go more resolution then the most played resolution 1280x1024

anyway i haven't heard much garbage Feature inside XFX & EVGA motherboard when you read spec and review and how my Friends have it and it work i don't see Garbage Feature will make ur window xp crash randomly feature * :)
hey my bad if i speak English bad sometimes i type a little too fast and I'm negligent with my grammars
glad i see the check spelling feature it help me to save time and post more on forum and think more about pc stuff

i wouldn't care if my English grammar is only knowing. 5,000 word without mistake since i know already 4,000 word in french that i don't mistake when i spoken it with voice or Text
I can speak English without a good accent in out-world of Internet. but I'm French it explain some
not French Of France tough don't start a anti-French stuff like we Saved you in France. so learn english and respect us like god
American did nothing in world war to be honest. they just gived us some support and. in the end help a little
the main war was dispute by English : German : Canadians : Italians : French : Australian & some other country
just letting you know. im pretty intelligent i know that half of American are racist against my kind of civilisation just because
in a video game voice chat or text chat they hear a mistake in English that seem so wrong for them and then hear some french voice so they go all ALGAUBALBHAHa IM MAD

Kodex1717
the british most of them make more mistake in speaking english then my accent. and text and they are the fondator of English text & voice it realy weird cause when a british speak to me i have to make him repeat what he say into a clearer way all time
he liek ur knowa whata isaw.a guy1 one with a snipa downz the hill in a not understanding way in games even american are like shut up BRITISHmarcthpro

1200$ > 600$

Xyphereos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xyphereos
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts

not French Of France tough don't start a anti-French stuff like we Saved you in France. so learn english and respect us like god
American did nothing in world war to be honest. they just gived us some support and. in the end help a little
just letting you know. im pretty intelligent i know that half of American are racist against my kind of civilisation just because

Kodex1717
the british most of them make more mistake in speaking english then my accent. and text and they are the fondator of English text & voice it realy weird cause when a british speak to me i have to make him repeat what he say into a clearer way all time
he liek ur knowa whata isaw.a guy1 one with a snipa downz the hill in a not understanding way in games even american are like shut up BRITISH and im far of being racist i just say speak someting we can understand that all :Pmarcthpro

heh and the french aren't racist i suppose? have you heard of
aparthied and without DDay the war would have gone to hell. Dont get me wrong, i love france and i can speak french but please, dont act like a tool.

george_hopkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 george_hopkins
[QUOTE="george_hopkins"]

That's half the price already and at half the price it offers VERY similar performance to the GTX 260.

matrixian

The HD4870 is faster than the GTX 260 in most cases.

SLI GTX 280s or 260s will offer the best performance.

george_hopkins

When Crossfire works, CF 4870 can even beat SLI GTX 280.

So, for the cost of 1 single GTX 260 you can get a pair of cards which outperform 2 GTX 280s. Win IMO. Definitely get the 4870, especially as you have a crossfire motherboard.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 marcthpro
i know but the american haven't done all the job like they claim they did against canadians. the normandy day half of solider death where canadians so the hero us. the canadians a part of it where french canadians tough and the most contry where only canada being implicated to free is poland im not fool it just american seem to understimate what canadians did in world war 2 cause of there fake history learn at school they must learn some part of true by read the real story the one veteran speak and as published