PC parts recommendation needed

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PIGONSTEROIDZ
Member since 2014 • 96 Posts

Some of you may have seen my previous issues i have been having with my PC, to eliminate them i have decided to upgrade a lot of parts mainly due to getting a new case and everything will be moved over anyway. But I am not so sure on compatibility and reliability so i would appreciate any help given.

I want to get a new processor and was originally going to go for the AMD FX 8350, But i am looking at doing crossfire in the future so would this keep up with it? if not is it worth going for the 9590?

My current GPU is a spahire r9 280x (dual) I would like to do crossfire as hopefully this will save me money long term would my current card be able to do crossfire with a saphire r9 290x? and is there any issues with crossfire? I have heard bad things about it.

For the motherboard I am looking at the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3 + 8 channel audio ATX motherboard, it supports crossfire and looks like it supports the CPU i am looking at and it has good reviews so should this be good?

Also stock cooler is not included in the 9590 and the 8350 is not meant to be very good, so i was looking at the Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo, would this be good enough? I do not really want to get anything with liquid.

I also like my PC to be quiet so i am going to get the NZXT h440, which does not many air vents, could this cause problems?

and lastly I am thinking about getting windows 8, could this cause any games not to work?

Thanks for any advice given and hopefully if this all works out i can finally get into PC gaming

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Yeah, I would't recommend anyone getting ATI GPU anytime close due to their highly price tags.

If you want to get CPU over the two choices I'd go with FX8320 or 8350.

My suggestion is sell your 280X and get two GTX760 or just wait for price drop to get another 280X.

If you could give me your current full specs and your budget limit and also a location where you're living at - I could build you something nice =)

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

There are very few air coolers that can handle 9590, which is basically 8320/8350 clocked at 4.7GHz (5GHz turbo). And why would you pay the premium anyway, just get a 8320 and a Noctua NH-D14 (or NH-U12P SE2 on the cheaper side). You'd probably have to settle for a few hundred MHz less, but it would still be a beast. Of course you could also go Intel and get 4670K with a Hyper 212 Evo.

edit: If you get a Noctua then a case with side window is out of the question lol.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

8350 would be fine on air but 9590 needs water.. it runs super hot as it is. I would recommend getting h100i.
990FX are good mobos for crossfire and SLI.
(8350 is enough for your needs).

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PIGONSTEROIDZ

@PfizersaurusRex: So would the 8350 be able to not bottleneck to gpu's and run well on recent games? why would a case with a side window not work? thanks

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@insane_metalist: So would the cooler i mentioned be good enough for the 8350 and so the 8350 could handle a 280 and 290x (if that's possible) also would it be able to run games like crysis 3 and battlefield 4 on ultra?

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 insane_metalist

@pigonsteroidz said:

@insane_metalist: So would the cooler i mentioned be good enough for the 8350 and so the 8350 could handle a 280 and 290x (if that's possible) also would it be able to run games like crysis 3 and battlefield 4 on ultra?

8350 won't bottleneck 280X or 290X. What do you mean "can 8350 handle 280X and 290X" ? You can't SLI (run two different GPUs). You can run two R9 280X or two R9 290X. I don't think one 280X can handle BF4 and Crysis 3 on ultra. If you run two 280X or one 290X, you should be fine running those on ultra. But with these current prices on AMD GPUs you might want to consider getting a GTX 780 or GTX 780TI (both will give you the performance you're aiming for).
Hyper 212 EVO will work just fine on 8350.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

I wouldn't trust crossfire (both the 6000 and 7000 series had long droughts of microstruggering and awful dirvers).

I would either wait a get a single 20nm GPU (should be out later summerish) or sell your 280x for $400 (assuming you live in the US) and pay $100 out of pocket for a GTX 780 SC

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@PredatorRules: My current spec is: Amd phenom ii x6 1100t, Corsair cx 600, 8gb of RAM, Windows home premium64, AS rock 960gm-GS3 FX and a seagate ssd

@insane_metalist: Okay thanks for the info, and would i get a decent fps? I would go with the geforce but would rather not go through the hassle of selling my current 280x and the motherboard I was looking at would that also work okay with what i want? thanks

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mastershake575

Phenom 1100T is actually a pretty solid CPU (slightly faster than a FX6350).

Next gen engines haven't kicked in yet (plus your CPU is good) so im not 100% sold on the CPU upgrade idea to be honest

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By insane_metalist

@pigonsteroidz said:

@PredatorRules: My current spec is: Amd phenom ii x6 1100t, Corsair cx 600, 8gb of RAM, Windows home premium64, AS rock 960gm-GS3 FX and a seagate ssd

@insane_metalist: Okay thanks for the info, and would i get a decent fps? I would go with the geforce but would rather not go through the hassle of selling my current 280x and the motherboard I was looking at would that also work okay with what i want? thanks

If you add another 280X then yes, you'll get good FPS. That mobo will work perfect!

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@insane_metalist: okay thanks for all the help

@mastershake575: I looked at some performance tests and two 280x's seem to be doing fine and lots of people commenting are also saying all is good, but to make sure to wipe all previous drivers and i have been having some issues with it like strange sounds so i think i will sell it as it is still worth a good amount so in the end it will not actually cost me that much. I really don't want to go through all the hassle of selling my 280x

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PIGONSTEROIDZ

Could anyone recoommend a decent, quiet power supply that could supply the above? and also would crossfire work with a r9 280 x and a r9280x toxic? thanks

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mastershake575

@pigonsteroidz said:
looked at some performance tests and two 280x's seem to be doing fine and lots of people commenting are also saying all is good, but to make sure to wipe all previous drivers and i have been having some issues with it like strange sounds so i think i will sell it as it is still worth a good amount so in the end it will not actually cost me that much. I really don't want to go through all the hassle of selling my 280x

Crossfire results are dependent on the game (if it supports/likes crossfire) and the drivers that are released by AMD.

As a result its not recommended to do crossfire if you can avoid it (in this case you can easily avoid it).

Selling is easy. Make an ebay account and list the item with a picture or two (set the starting bid at $380 and go from there). Once it sells and the buyer pays, print a invoice slips and go to your local UPS/USPS and ship it

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PIGONSTEROIDZ

But then i am stuck without a PC for quite a while, I looked at some benchmarks and most seemed to support it and apparently the drivers are good and micro stutter has been eliminated?

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mastershake575

@pigonsteroidz said:

But then i am stuck without a PC for quite a while, I looked at some benchmarks and most seemed to support it and apparently the drivers are good and micro stutter has been eliminated?

It won't be too long (usually ebay pays quick). You could also sell the card locally (like craigslist) and get the money instantly (that what I did last year and I sold my card at a great price in 2 days)

The drivers have gotten better but whose to says they won't get shitty again ? (driver support for crossfire has been up and down the last couple of years).

Not only that but the if the game doesn't like or support crossfire, it won't matter how good the drivers are

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I would go with an i7 4770k if you're going with an 9590. The FX 9590 is a factory overclocked FX 8350 that was cherry picked, therefore specially binned FX 8 core chips that pretty won the silicon lottery.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GeryGo  Moderator

@pigonsteroidz said:

Could anyone recoommend a decent, quiet power supply that could supply the above? and also would crossfire work with a r9 280 x and a r9280x toxic? thanks

That would depend on the CPU you're going to buy.

Basically a 750Watt + is what you want

cashnmillions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 cashnmillions
Member since 2004 • 993 Posts

I don't know if you have a "thing" for AMD, but if you don't want to bottleneck your GPUs you need to switch to an i5 or i7.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PfizersaurusRex

@pigonsteroidz said:

@PfizersaurusRex: So would the 8350 be able to not bottleneck to gpu's and run well on recent games? why would a case with a side window not work? thanks

Cuz Noctua coolers are ugly as f*ck (but they are the best performers). Hyper 212 will work as well, only with less aggressive overclock. But since you're changing the motherboard as well and given what kind of performance you want I'd say go for i7 4770K. Even without overclocking it you'd get a nice jump in performance that you could see without looking at the fps counter. Then you can decide if you need another 280X or whatever. I don't know about Crysis 3, but I'm sure it can handle BF4 if not ultra ultra, then with a few sliders down a notch.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@cashnmillions said:

I don't know if you have a "thing" for AMD, but if you don't want to bottleneck your GPUs you need to switch to an i5 or i7.

I smell a troll.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GeryGo  Moderator

@PfizersaurusRex said:

@pigonsteroidz said:

Cuz Noctua coolers are ugly as f*ck (but they are the best performers)..

Ugly as hell? BEAST!!!!

My rig:

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

Some hate the colour Noctua have on their fans.

cashnmillions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cashnmillions
Member since 2004 • 993 Posts

@vfibsux: really? Just because I give him a fact about CPUs.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PfizersaurusRex

@PredatorRules: Wow that thing looks scary!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GeryGo  Moderator

@PfizersaurusRex said:

@PredatorRules: Wow that thing looks scary!

Thank you :D

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vfibsux

@cashnmillions said:

@vfibsux: really? Just because I give him a fact about CPUs.

The way you wrote it implied if you stick with AMD you will bottleneck your cpu by default, which is absurd. So either you poorly articulated your point and could have worded it better, you just don't know what you are talking about and have no business giving hardware advice, or you were trolling. And this is classic intel vs. AMD troll material, so don't act all surprised.

So you choose which it was. I pasted below as a reminder what you actually said.

@cashnmillions said:

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PIGONSTEROIDZ

@vfibsux: @PfizersaurusRex: @PredatorRules: @Gaming-Planet: @mastershake575:

Okay im getting confused now, I am almost definitely going to get another 280x. What I want out of this PC is to be able to play BF4 and crysis 3 ultra with a good fps, and also a few CPU heavy games that are not so good graphic wise and perhaps to be able to play games on quite good settings in the future, the idea of the upgrade was to save me money long term that's why i want to go with the second GPU now. So would the 8350 meet all of that or am i better off going for an Intel, if so which one? Also what I don't get is the intel seemed to be lower speeds yet you are all saying they are better? Also the PC will just be used for gaming, no Photoshop or anything like video editing. I would like to go AMD overall as i figured a system entirely AMD would work better. Also are the Noctua coolers quiet? thanks for all the help and advice guys

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mastershake575

You have a $300-350 graphics card with a mid tier CPU and most games are running on engines that are 2-4 years old....... (you should be getting at least 85-90% of the visual eyecandy on every single game out there).

Wait for 20nm (new game engines should kick in by then).

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vfibsux

@pigonsteroidz said:

Okay im getting confused now, I am almost definitely going to get another 280x. What I want out of this PC is to be able to play BF4 and crysis 3 ultra with a good fps, and also a few CPU heavy games that are not so good graphic wise and perhaps to be able to play games on quite good settings in the future, the idea of the upgrade was to save me money long term that's why i want to go with the second GPU now. So would the 8350 meet all of that or am i better off going for an Intel, if so which one? Also what I don't get is the intel seemed to be lower speeds yet you are all saying they are better? Also the PC will just be used for gaming, no Photoshop or anything like video editing. I would like to go AMD overall as i figured a system entirely AMD would work better. Also are the Noctua coolers quiet? thanks for all the help and advice guys

If price is no object I would go Intel, they are just better built cpus and run cooler...you get what you pay for. Saying that, AMD works just fine if you are on a budget. The notion that AMD cpu's bottleneck gpu's as a general statement is just absurd. Go here and you will see bang for buck you just cannot beat AMD.

I also would not worry about getting all the same brand for your system, it really will not make a difference. Just don't skimp on less "sexy" components like Power Supply, mainboard, and memory....get quality brand name stuff. Also I much prefer Nvidia over Radeon, i have always had bad luck when I went Radeon and ended up right back at Nvidia.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@pigonsteroidz said:

If you can afford Intel 4670K it'll be the best for gaming.

The whole concept of getting one brand of CPU and GPU isn't true about overall would work better.

There's nothing wrong going with 8320/8350 but anyone here will say if you can afford intel's 4670 or 4670K go for it.

Yes the Noctua C14 and D14 are quite quiet in terms of the superior cooling they offer.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GeryGo  Moderator

@vfibsux said:

If price is no object I would go Intel, they are just better built cpus and run cooler...you get what you pay for. Saying that, AMD works just fine if you are on a budget. The notion that AMD cpu's bottleneck gpu's as a general statement is just absurd. Go here and you will see bang for buck you just cannot beat AMD.

I wouldn't look at this site looking for CPU for gaming, The FX8350 shown better than 4670K in terms of computing and using CPU heavy programs, in terms of gaming it's better going with 4670K

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vfibsux

@PredatorRules said:

@vfibsux said:

I wouldn't look at this site looking for CPU for gaming, The FX8350 shown better than 4670K in terms of computing and using CPU heavy programs, in terms of gaming it's better going with 4670K

I recommended he go with Intel, was just showing that it is still a quality value for the price if he needed a budget cpu.

I would still easily recommend the 8350 as a value cpu....here are some BF4 benchmark comparisons....

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GeryGo  Moderator

@vfibsux said:

@PredatorRules said:

@vfibsux said:

I recommended he go with Intel, was just showing that it is still a quality value for the price if he needed a budget cpu.

I would still easily recommend the 8350 as a value cpu....here are some BF4 benchmark comparisons....

Yes, for a budget PC I'd go with AMD FX6300/8320/8350 anytime.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PIGONSTEROIDZ

@PredatorRules: @mastershake575: @vfibsux: That's the thing I should be getting quite good performance already but some games run very badly , looking at the benchmarks there's a difference of like 2 fps, which will not make a difference to me. I want 60 fps, which a new CPU and another 280x should hopefully get me. I will look at the price difference but i am leaning towards the 8350 as i am on a budget. To eliminate my problem with stutter I am going to do these upgrades, get windows 8 as it looks pretty cool and get a new monitor. Therefore i think I have eliminated everything.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@pigonsteroidz said:

@PredatorRules: @mastershake575: @vfibsux: That's the thing I should be getting quite good performance already but some games run very badly , looking at the benchmarks there's a difference of like 2 fps, which will not make a difference to me. I want 60 fps, which a new CPU and another 280x should hopefully get me. I will look at the price difference but i am leaning towards the 8350 as i am on a budget. To eliminate my problem with stutter I am going to do these upgrades, get windows 8 as it looks pretty cool and get a new monitor. Therefore i think I have eliminated everything.

I don't know which games you're trying to run, but a single 280X should be good enough to run most games ATM on max graphics. (you're probably trying to play some crappy optimized games)

The 8350 would be good if you're limited to a budget and planning on another 280X (when the price drops)

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@PredatorRules: I have tried spec ops:the line, dota 2, duke nukem: forever, dark souls, brink, skyrim, the first assassin's creed and dragon age: origins. My current card is a spahire r9 280x dual model whereas the the one im looking at is saphire r9 280x TOXOC model which is currently priced at £270 what sort of price would i be looking for it to drop to?

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PIGONSTEROIDZ

Also does anyone know if the Asus sabertooth 990FX could have 3 GPUs? (thinking very far ahead) just curious, thanks

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GeryGo  Moderator

@pigonsteroidz said:

@PredatorRules: I have tried spec ops:the line, dota 2, duke nukem: forever, dark souls, brink, skyrim, the first assassin's creed and dragon age: origins. My current card is a spahire r9 280x dual model whereas the the one im looking at is saphire r9 280x TOXOC model which is currently priced at £270 what sort of price would i be looking for it to drop to?

Little less than GTX770 price is what you want because it's exactly where it belongs.

I payed 2/3 of GTX770 price when it's just came out to the market.

I think the real problem is your CPU and not GPU, I currently own 4670 with 280X and I max most of my games (except for Arma 3 when I put max draw distance)

@pigonsteroidz said:

Also does anyone know if the Asus sabertooth 990FX could have 3 GPUs? (thinking very far ahead) just curious, thanks

Owning more than 2 GPUs is meant for benchmarks mostly

numbes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41  Edited By numbes
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts

spec ops:the line dark souls ass creed and dragon age bad console ports duke nukem: forever just plain bad going to the 8350 from what you have won't change much 280x is fairly solid for 1080p

the 760g mobo is probably where the problem is but by the looks your set on buying a whole new system except gpu

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@PredatorRules: what do you mean it is for benchmarks mostly? and okay ill keep an eye on it

@numbes: I had the same problem with a different mobo, although they both were not very good motherboards

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GeryGo  Moderator

@pigonsteroidz said:

@PredatorRules: what do you mean it is for benchmarks mostly? and okay ill keep an eye on it

@numbes: I had the same problem with a different mobo, although they both were not very good motherboards

I mean in actual game performance the gain from the 3rd or the 4th GPU isn't worth the money.

numbes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 numbes
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts

@pigonsteroidz: it would probably have been another 760g mobo they are most common you want a 970/990x/990fx also the games i listed as being bad console ports you can give them the worlds best hardware it wont change things they are just badly coded without mods they wont run well

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@numbes: Okay i should be getting a 990fx one soon, i modded dark souls and spec ops the line and could not get them to run well

@PredatorRules: I was talking like 3 or 4 years in the future, is there room on the asus sabertooth 990fx for threee though? thanks

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 insane_metalist

@pigonsteroidz said:

@numbes: Okay i should be getting a 990fx one soon, i modded dark souls and spec ops the line and could not get them to run well

@PredatorRules: I was talking like 3 or 4 years in the future, is there room on the asus sabertooth 990fx for threee though? thanks

You really won't need a third GPU. SLI R9 280X will get the job done. 3-4 years from now, you're better off looking at a new GPU setup. There will be new GPUs that will get your attention. Just add another R9 280X and you'll see, you'll get all the performance you need, you'll be able to max every game.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@insane_metalist: Okay cool, I currently have a r9 280x dual model and the receipt and place I got it from says it should have been the toxic edition which has better cooling. Is this worth chasing up?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GeryGo  Moderator

@pigonsteroidz said:

Yes you can insert 3rd GPU, It wouldn't be worth it anyway since the gain will be lower than buying new modern GPU

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PIGONSTEROIDZ

I currently have a r9 280x dual model and the receipt and place I got it from says it should have been the toxic edition which has better cooling. Is this worth chasing up?

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Bit of advice if you are trying to avoid stutter then crossfire is the worst thing you can do,running dual cards in crossfire causes slight to major stuttering,some games work great and run amazingly well but many many others are terrible a good case in point is deus ex human revolution which was intolerable i used crossfire for 3 years and although it was a great way to upgrade cheaply i would not do it again.

Amd fixed the stuttering/frame pacing problem to some extent with their recent drivers but not enough for me and tht was only for single monitors not multiscreen setups which i wanted to use often.

I would upgrade your cpu and sell your current card and upgrade to a single r9 290x if you live in europe as the price rise has not happened here but in the usa the prices have gone crazy so i would get a single high end nvidia card 780 or similar.