This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dr_Kleiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dr_Kleiner
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Hi, I was thinking on getting a new gaming rig. It was going to be and AMD X6, 6 GB Ram, GTX 580. But that would cost a lot (about 2000$ or more), so I was thinking about getting a PS3. It has exclusives, and bunch of other stuff. But there are also downsides, like kids playing CoD, or other games, and rage, not so friendly community, etc. So I wanted to see from PS3 gamers is it good playing on PS3, do you enjoy it, want to see the feedback on how is it, before I decide what to buy.

Mehdi-Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 Mehdi-Y
Member since 2008 • 1028 Posts

Hey! This is a PC hardware forum. Almost everyone will tell you to get a PC.

You might as well post this thread in System wars, you'll get tons of stuff about the 2.

Do yourself a favor and get a PC :P

jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jtcraft
Member since 2005 • 2770 Posts
Give us a budget your willing to spend on a PC and we can recommend you parts. You don't need a 580 to get good performance. The 560Ti, 570, 6950, and 6970 are all excellent high end video cards that cost a good bit less than a 580. The price of RAM has gone down in the last year or so and AMD is releasing a new cpu lineup this coming week that is rumored to be at good price points. You can build a good high end rig without spending an arm and leg to get it. It will cost more than a PS3 but it will also be more powerful and look better.
Dr_Kleiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dr_Kleiner

Hey! This is a PC hardware forum. Almost everyone will tell you to get a PC.

You might as well post this thread in System wars, you'll get tons of stuff about the 2.

Do yourself a favor and get a PC :P

Mehdi-Y
K, will post in System Wars! :D
Dr_Kleiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dr_Kleiner

Give us a budget your willing to spend on a PC and we can recommend you parts. You don't need a 580 to get good performance. The 560Ti, 570, 6950, and 6970 are all excellent high end video cards that cost a good bit less than a 580. The price of RAM has gone down in the last year or so and AMD is releasing a new cpu lineup this coming week that is rumored to be at good price points. You can build a good high end rig without spending an arm and leg to get it. It will cost more than a PS3 but it will also be more powerful and look better.jtcraft
Budget about 2500$

jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jtcraft
Member since 2005 • 2770 Posts
[QUOTE="jtcraft"]Give us a budget your willing to spend on a PC and we can recommend you parts. You don't need a 580 to get good performance. The 560Ti, 570, 6950, and 6970 are all excellent high end video cards that cost a good bit less than a 580. The price of RAM has gone down in the last year or so and AMD is releasing a new cpu lineup this coming week that is rumored to be at good price points. You can build a good high end rig without spending an arm and leg to get it. It will cost more than a PS3 but it will also be more powerful and look better.Dr_Kleiner
Budget about 3000$

Is that just for the tower or does that include monitor, speakers, mouse & keyboard, etc.?
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

[QUOTE="jtcraft"]Give us a budget your willing to spend on a PC and we can recommend you parts. You don't need a 580 to get good performance. The 560Ti, 570, 6950, and 6970 are all excellent high end video cards that cost a good bit less than a 580. The price of RAM has gone down in the last year or so and AMD is releasing a new cpu lineup this coming week that is rumored to be at good price points. You can build a good high end rig without spending an arm and leg to get it. It will cost more than a PS3 but it will also be more powerful and look better.Dr_Kleiner

Budget about 2500$

Lol, if you're wiling to spend that much on a gaming platform, you'd be out of your mind to get a PS3 over a PC. Don't think your thread in System Wars will be very helpful, you'll just get a lot of rubbish, from the less-informed consolers.
Dr_Kleiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dr_Kleiner
[QUOTE="Dr_Kleiner"][QUOTE="jtcraft"]Give us a budget your willing to spend on a PC and we can recommend you parts. You don't need a 580 to get good performance. The 560Ti, 570, 6950, and 6970 are all excellent high end video cards that cost a good bit less than a 580. The price of RAM has gone down in the last year or so and AMD is releasing a new cpu lineup this coming week that is rumored to be at good price points. You can build a good high end rig without spending an arm and leg to get it. It will cost more than a PS3 but it will also be more powerful and look better.jtcraft
Budget about 3000$

Is that just for the tower or does that include monitor, speakers, mouse & keyboard, etc.?

Here is what I am planning to get: AMD X6 1100T RAM 6GB (still didn't choose which brand) GTX 560Ti (just decided) HAF X Nvidia Edition Tower 1000 W power supply (might be going SLI in future) Mobo MSI 990FXA-GD80
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I know this is a PC hardware board, but instead of spending $2500 on just a PC, why cant you spend $1800-2000 on a PC and get a PS3 as well? Spending that much on a PC all at once is just wasteful, its gonna be outdated really quickly.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
[QUOTE="Dr_Kleiner"] AMD X6 1100T RAM 6GB (still didn't choose which brand) GTX 560Ti (just decided) HAF X Nvidia Edition Tower 1000 W power supply (might be going SLI in future) Mobo MSI 990FXA-GD80

Look at getting something more like an i5 2500k, 4Gb RAM, Maybe a 570 and up, normal HAF X unless you really really like the nvidia edition and appropriate mobo. Or you could wait for Bulldozer to come out and get one of those things.
Dr_Kleiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dr_Kleiner
[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="Dr_Kleiner"] AMD X6 1100T RAM 6GB (still didn't choose which brand) GTX 560Ti (just decided) HAF X Nvidia Edition Tower 1000 W power supply (might be going SLI in future) Mobo MSI 990FXA-GD80

Look at getting something more like an i5 2500k, 4Gb RAM, Maybe a 570 and up, normal HAF X unless you really really like the nvidia edition and appropriate mobo. Or you could wait for Bulldozer to come out and get one of those things.

I could get that but here is my point of view and experience: I've used AMD and NVIDIA for 10 years, and I didn't have any problems what so ever, so I don't want to spend money on an Intel rig, and then later have some problems, probably. I am attached to AMD because I had it for a very long time, it is cheaper than an i7 or i5, and I wanna be safe at this point and go with what I have experience. I don't know about the Bulldozer, it will be a good CPU, but I don't know for gaming if it will be good, most of the games don't even use 6 cores. Also, where I live, HAF X NVIDIA Edition costs less than HAF X 942.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 C_Rule
Lol, forget about AMD, their current desktop CPUs are irrelevant, for a 2011 gaming PC. That's good that you've had good experience with AMD, but that does not mean you should ignore the fact that their current desktop CPUs are five years behind Intel's current desktop CPUs. Ask anyone here (who has at least basic knowledge in PC hardware), and they will tell you, buying an AMD hex core, at this point, is foolish. What currency are we using? Assuming USD, I would be looking at something like: i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (or similar ASUS/ASRock/MSI board) 2x 6950 2GB Silverstone Raven RV02-E 8GB RAM 2x Spinpoint F3 ~800W PSU (Antec, Corsair or other good brand) Kuhler 920, Corsair H80 or good air cooler (eg. Noctua NH-D14
Dr_Kleiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dr_Kleiner
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Lol, forget about AMD, their current desktop CPUs are irrelevant, for a 2011 gaming PC. That's good that you've had good experience with AMD, but that does not mean you should ignore the fact that their current desktop CPUs are five years behind Intel's current desktop CPUs. Ask anyone here (who has at least basic knowledge in PC hardware), and they will tell you, buying an AMD hex core, at this point, is foolish. What currency are we using? Assuming USD, I would be looking at something like: i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (or similar ASUS/ASRock/MSI board) 2x 6950 2GB Silverstone Raven RV02-E 8GB RAM 2x Spinpoint F3 ~800W PSU (Antec, Corsair or other good brand) Kuhler 920, Corsair H80 or good air cooler (eg. Noctua NH-D14

Yeah, but is Intel and Radeon HD a good combination??? And I have also heard that they have some driver issues with the Catalyst software.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 C_Rule
[QUOTE="Dr_Kleiner"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]Lol, forget about AMD, their current desktop CPUs are irrelevant, for a 2011 gaming PC. That's good that you've had good experience with AMD, but that does not mean you should ignore the fact that their current desktop CPUs are five years behind Intel's current desktop CPUs. Ask anyone here (who has at least basic knowledge in PC hardware), and they will tell you, buying an AMD hex core, at this point, is foolish. What currency are we using? Assuming USD, I would be looking at something like: i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (or similar ASUS/ASRock/MSI board) 2x 6950 2GB Silverstone Raven RV02-E 8GB RAM 2x Spinpoint F3 ~800W PSU (Antec, Corsair or other good brand) Kuhler 920, Corsair H80 or good air cooler (eg. Noctua NH-D14

Yeah, but is Intel and Radeon HD a good combination??? And I have also heard that they have some driver issues with the Catalyst software.

Intel CPU will work no better with an Nvidia card, than it will with an AMD card, the CPU and GPU are independent. AMD drivers seem to be much better than they use to be, I wouldn't say they're quite as good as Nvidia's, but it's unlikely you will have major problems with them.
Dr_Kleiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dr_Kleiner

How about this rig, just found all the parts.

Intel Core i7 2600K

MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)

2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB

2x Kingston DDR3 HyperX BLU 4GB 1600MHz

BitFenix Colossus Venom

Seasonic SS-850KM

2x Spinpoint F3

Is it good???

It costs 1868 dollars here in Serbia, so I will even be able to get an 22'' monitor.

Zevante101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Zevante101
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

Intel Core i7 2600K

MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)

BitFenix Colossus Venom

Seasonic SS-850KM

2x Spinpoint F3

Is it good???

It costs 1868 dollars here in Serbia, so I will even be able to get an 22'' monitor.

Dr_Kleiner

It probably world be better in the long run to ditch the 6950s and get a single 6970 and throw in another when it starts to lose it's charm. Or just wait for southern islands and forget about 6xxx series for now. Oh, and make sure you get a good cooler for that CPU. It will be much more fun to OC it if you don't have stock cooling :D

EDIT: You could probably cut down to a Corsair 850TX and you'll have more room in other areas.

Dr_Kleiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dr_Kleiner

[QUOTE="Dr_Kleiner"]

Intel Core i7 2600K

MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)

BitFenix Colossus Venom

Seasonic SS-850KM

2x Spinpoint F3

Is it good???

Zevante101

It probably world be better in the long run to ditch the 6950s and get a single 6970 and throw in another when it starts to lose it's charm. Or just wait for southern islands and forget about 6xxx series for now. Oh, and make sure you get a good cooler for that CPU. It will be much more fun to OC it if you don't have stock cooling :D

EDIT: You could probably cut down to a Corsair 850TX and you'll have more room in other areas.

Southern Islands??? I'm confussed. Anyway, I have just seen the review for the 6950 vs 6970, so I think you have a point there, since the motherboard I think of getting only supports 2 way CF (I think)

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

Southern Islands??? I'm confussed. Anyway, I have just seen the review for the 6950 vs 6970, so I think you have a point there, since the motherboard I think of getting only supports 2 way CF (I think)

Dr_Kleiner

Southern Islands is the codename for AMD's 7000 series chipset, which we should see released over the next 3-4 months.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts
Well I had a PS3, but recently bought a new PC rig... I have since sold my PS3. Enough said.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Intel Core i7 2600K

MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)

BitFenix Colossus Venom

Seasonic SS-850KM

2x Spinpoint F3

Is it good???

Dr_Kleiner

Thats a great rig, you could even cut down the CPU to a i5 2500k, and it would still be awesome. Now with the budget left, you can still get a nice monitor and possibly a PS3 as well, depending upon prices in Serbia.