PC online shooters are a bit much for me.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Xshinobi
Member since 2003 • 3011 Posts

I play a lot of MMOs and SP shooters on my PC andI just got COD4 via steam ( one big pain in the a$$ ) and man you all are just too good for me. Kinda wish I got this on the xbox now :( I know it looks way better on myPC but damn I get owned so fast :( Kinda makes me not want to play Crysis online.

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

Noob.

Sorry needed to throw it out there. If your just joining the onslaught of online gaming now tho your in a bit of trouble. My advice is dont give up. Watch what other players do, and try following there example. Eventually you'll pick up dont worry.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

I like FPS because it gives even a noob player a chance to kill some pros. Not like RTS where its very degrading to lose consistantly until you get halfway decent.

You probably won't miss much with Crysis multiplayer.

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Just follow timma's advice and you should get better with time. Just go into the games expecting that you will get killed multiple times and just have fun with it. I've been playing online shooters since Quake 2 Deathmatch and I still get kill by the newbie gamers occassionally.
Robertoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Robertoey
Member since 2005 • 1996 Posts
There are a few games that have such steep learning curves and skill levels that you just won't touch the best players ever. But if you play the game, understanding that you'll get your ass kicked for awhile, eventually you'll start to get the hang of things. PC games tend to have very stiff levels of competition.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58509 Posts

It just takes practice. once you get the "feeling" of a shooter it gets better.

Every time I go back to counterstrike (I usually play it in spurts, maybe three times a year for a few weeks at a time) I get frustrated but then the tactics and gun handling come back to me.

The trick is that its different for each shooter a lot of the time. A shooter like Quake 3 is high-intensity run n gun but a shooter like BF 2142 is objective based with vehicles and certain advantages and disadvantages to each class.

I suggest Team Fortress 2 if you dont have it. Its one of the more casual online shooters out there, and loads of fun.

Olidsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Olidsc
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts

I like FPS because it gives even a noob player a chance to kill some pros. Not like RTS where its very degrading to lose consistantly until you get halfway decent.

You probably won't miss much with Crysis multiplayer.

Swiftstrike5

Really that only applies to some of the newer more "casual friendly" team based FPS games. Back in ye olden days of Quake and UT, a single good player could absolutely destroy a n00b, denying him of every weapon on the map and just constantly instakilling him as soon as he spawns.

kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 kweeky
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts

Really that only applies to some of the newer more "casual friendly" team based FPS games. Back in ye olden days of Quake and UT, a single good player could absolutely destroy a n00b, denying him of every weapon on the map and just constantly instakilling him as soon as he spawns.Olidsc

It's not so much "casual friendly" as it is more thought-out and balanced. When they first arrived on the scene they opened up the genre, considering they are several years old, their weaknesses have been highlighted remarkably - other games have learnt from these weaknesses.

If you look at the Battlefield model, I believe it to be one of the strongest in multiplayer gaming because it is very hard for one person to dominate heavily. Teamplay is paramount, and usually the team that wins is the team that employs the most teamwork.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

Noob.

Sorry needed to throw it out there. If your just joining the onslaught of online gaming now tho your in a bit of trouble

timma25

That's exactly the sort of mentality that put's people off playing first person shooters on-line.

jcwordlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 jcwordlife
Member since 2004 • 2686 Posts

Some games can be hard for you...

For example, I always got owned in CS because it was so fast paced, so I quit and played TF2, it's a mix of both slow and fast and it suits me, although I really owned those spies as pyro :lol:

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

I play a lot of MMOs and SP shooters on my PC andI just got COD4 via steam ( one big pain in the a$$ ) and man you all are just too good for me. Kinda wish I got this on the xbox now :( I know it looks way better on myPC but damn I get owned so fast :( Kinda makes me not want to play Crysis online.

anime-2k3

although cod4 has teams in certain game modes, its kind of a harsh start if you're just 'OK' at online FPS. I suggest a much more team based game, where people help each other and you can easily get tips on how to do certain things (provided you join mature servers), and anyway, games that have different classes let you chill by the side as a medic or engineer for example. Thus a game like tf2, although frantic at times, will provide a good starting ground since you can ask around and you're always with your team trying to establish a common goal of owning the crap out of the other team.

By now, TF2 is rock solid on steam, if you don't have it already, try it out.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Keep practice.
BlackBart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 BlackBart2
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
My online experience started with SOF2 and I found it surprisingly harder than single player. It took me a good 4 months to get better but I'm pretty decent now. Once you get better your skills will carry over to other online shooters as well. I'm also pretty good at CS:Source now and it only took about a week to get my bearings. Learning the maps alone will help a ton.
Mankyblobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mankyblobs
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

anime-2k3

Have you tried battlefield 2? if not you shouldnt bother! iver been playing it for years (im sad) got my house mates addicted to it to, but their happy with a death to kill ratio of 4:1! ( no thats not a typo LOL).

Just stick with it man, it takes patience and wont come to you over night. If battlefield was anything to go by i needed about 2-3 months to get any good really. Still loved every minute of it though.

crazytank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crazytank
Member since 2005 • 251 Posts
perhaps u are missing gaming gears (good mouse etc ) ?
of coz skills are important too
Zulgaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zulgaines
Member since 2003 • 9750 Posts
It's a lot easier than say... the Jedi Knight games. Especially if it's just a saber duel, the skill gaps on that game are huge, to the point of a single pro taking on 10 or so noobs at once.
Pereza0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pereza0
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts

Here there are some tips for fps in general

Stay mobile, move aroung dont just get one spot and camp enemy will know where u are and u will most likely get sniped

Aim to the head

take cover, dont just shoot while runing in front of your enemy

Use grenades if you are fleeing and somebody is pusuing you or if there are any enemies

Familiarize yourself with all weapons, so u are not forced to use shotgun on open spaces or sniper on enclosed ones

Practice

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
Don't let it get you down everyone is a noob at some point. Just keep playing and you will get better. It doesn't even have to be COD 4 really all FPS games require the same kind of skill so just practice and practice some more. I think I got better at aiming when I played through STALKER, that game requires some aiming skills. Then again I have COD 4 on the 360 and me being used to mouse and keyboard I'm not the best on that game myself. Not a noob by any means but I certainly could be better.
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
I found COD4 MP to be frusterating. But it has a lot to do with what you're used to. It's definitely got a different feel than, say, Counter Strike Source or Quake Wars. Thought they are all FPS, each of them has a feel you eventually learn (or give up on like the TC )
jaygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jaygamer
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
BF2's all right though. I'm a casual gamer myself, my kill/death ratio is horrendous, but i once ended a game 2nd highest by being a medic and going imhotep (raising an insane amount of "dead" comrades). Not suave, but it works. Well, i also did a fair amount of sniping too.
RedSaynt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RedSaynt
Member since 2003 • 228 Posts

Im older and reflexes are slower, I can compete on FPS shooters as well as I use too. But Im great at being a sneaky backstabber. Take that Steam account and grab TF2, you can be a spy and you wont have to worry about your shooting skills. Flame thrower is pretty easy too for a non FPS pro.

RS

Mankyblobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mankyblobs
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

BF2's all right though. I'm a casual gamer myself, my kill/death ratio is horrendous, but i once ended a game 2nd highest by being a medic and going imhotep (raising an insane amount of "dead" comrades). Not suave, but it works. Well, i also did a fair amount of sniping too.jaygamer

I quite like games like that, once i was on an awful team with one flag on mashtur large size, and i was the only medic actually healing and reviving, I couldnt revive or heal quick enough to do everyone, my noob team were getting slaughtered that much. Absolutely cleaned up on points, something like 16 revives and 15 heals, plus a load of kills. Anything but suave that match, running, jumping and diving left right and center. Real swash buckling stuff. Awesome.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
There is only one way to get better. Practice.

There was something that I was going to add this morning but didn't have the time to...

When I first started playing online FPS games back in early 2005, I was getting my ass handed to me every time I spawned. It took me several months of playing several hours a day to get good at the game (vanilla Call of Duty) and even then, when you move onto a new game (such as when I moved onto Day of Defeat 1.3), you have to refocus your skills every time you switch.

Of course, after playing enough CoD and DoD online to equal that of a full time job for about 8 months I was finally able to pick up Day of Defeat Source in September (of 2005) and just grooved. Even though the gameplay layout was very similar to DoD, the handling of all the weapons and cIasses were quite different. However, thanks to my endless amounts of practice, I started dominating early once I learned all the quirks about the game and I would bet, even now, if I were to start playing CoD, DoD or DoDS again, I would continue to dominate because I spent so much time honing my skills and creating muscle memory.

At my peak in DoDS, I was capable of scoring a good 6:1 or 5:1 kill:death ratio (usually about 100:20 or 120:20) on most maps and would usually be the first ranked player (during that specific match) on any server I joined (aside from pro clan servers of course).

It takes a long time to get good at games that require skill and practice. Unlike most console shooters, you cannot just pick them up and "be good" you have to "become good." A good amount of knowledge about the game and pure cunning never hurts either.
Delius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Delius
Member since 2005 • 571 Posts

As stated before, it takes a lot of practice. I used to get my backside handed to me in BF2 for the first few maps, but I stuck with it and started handing other people theirs.

Some basic tips though:

Keep moving! A moving target it much harder to hit.

Get to know your maps, and the hotspots on them.

Know your weapons! Don't get caught with a sniper rifle in your hand if you might run into an enemy.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

our Have you tried Team Fortress 2?

I'll list a few reasons why I think it would be ideal for you:

• Very few of the classes are about twitch skills, or hitting small targets
  • There are many classes, each with different playstyles - try playing a medic, who pretty much just follows other guys around healing them, or an engineer who builds sentries and other useful devices without being much in the thick of combat. Or the scout, who mostly runs around really really fast.
  • There is a very strong focus on the team - it is unlikely that you will be doing badly if your team is doing well. It's just a very team oriented game. Sometimes you just fire up and your entire team gets reamed, sometimes you just slaughter everyone. It's one of those great games with highs and lows.

I don't tend to play games online except with friends, and since I'm a bastard and so can count all my friends on one finger, I don't get much use out of FPS games online. But with TF2, everything changed for me. I picked the Heavy class, which is a class which requires almost 0 accuracy. They have a ton of health and a devastatingly powerful weapon at close/medium range that takes a few seconds to charge up. Then it's like that chaingunscene with Mac from Predator, only trees are your enemies.

Really, I think if you're willing to give online FPS one last chance, grab a copy of The Orange Box (you should buy it anyway, portal is awesome) and find a server that works for you. I've found some servers where I'm in the bottom half of the table every round, and servers where I'm guaranteed to finish 1st or 2nd every round. There are definitely newbie servers out there. Try and find them.

Anyway, - yeah, TF2 is just a game that generally isn't about twitch skills, the maps are often symmetrical so they're easy to learn and the game is such a pleasure to watch and listen to that even when you're dying over and over, it's just great anyway. Plus, the number and diversity of the classes means it's easy to find something that works for you. It's not a twitch game, and it's perfect for anyone in the low-intermediate skill range, or anyone who likes having a ton of fun.

redeemer_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 redeemer_spawn
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
I like shooter games., it gives me a lot of fun., CS is a good training ground to increase your accuracy in aiming.,
teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 teirdome
Member since 2003 • 483 Posts
I'd say that another thing that can really help out is mixing multiplayer with singleplayer for aiming training. Pick up CoD4 and alternate between an hour of multiplayer and a mission or two. Learn the pace of the multiplayer and then apply it to the much safer single player arena and go back and forth.
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts

Buy a Copy of UT2k4 and practise practise practise. Its best possible game to improve your skills, aim accuracy, tactic etc...

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts
I know how you feel but like everyone else said practice practice and practice. I reccomend Swat 4 if you want a good fps that you can get into easily. It doesn't rely on twich based skills as much as other fps's since it has a much slower pace to it. In fact shooting gets you lesser points than arresting someone.