pc monitor out of frequency?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hlcsbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hlcsbaby
Member since 2003 • 195 Posts

Hi,

My monitor is has never had a problem, but today, i tried to change the resolution in half life 2 ep. 2, and now my monitor says "out of frequency". When i go back to the desktop or run any other program, everything is fine. So its good for everything else except the half life 2 problem. The problem is, i cant see the menu in the game to change the resolution because of the "out of frequency" problem. I just wanted to know if there is someway to change it back or something without having to see the menu. One other thing, I purchased half life 2 ep.2 through steam and have already tried re-installing it and it still does the same thing. Any suggestions?

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Easiest way:

-Create a desktop shortcut for Episode 2 if you don't already have one (this can be done via the Steam interface; right click the game entry under "My Games")

-Right click the game's desktop icon and select "Properties."

-Find the "Target" field.

-At the end of the "Target field," append "-width xxxx" and "-height xxxx" without quotes.

-Where "xxxx" is, fill in the horizontal and vertical pixel values you want the game to use. Make sure it's a resolution your monitor supports. For example: to run the game at a resolution of 1600x1200, one would need to append the argument(s) "-width 1600 -height 1200" to the end of the target box. Make sure you leave the rest of the target box as-is.

-Press "Apply; Ok" and run the game using your modified shortcut. It should launch with the resolution you set. If you change your preferred resolution to something else in-game, make sure you remove the arguments on the game shortcut if you're going to continue to use it.

hlcsbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hlcsbaby
Member since 2003 • 195 Posts
Thanks a bunch, it worked like a charm. Just curious, does this work for any game?