PC Keeps restarting after Shutdown

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

Hi, since yesterday my PC has been restarting automatically a few seconds after I shut it down. I googled my problem and every solution I found through that hasn't worked.

I also got a blue screen of death about half an hour ago which doesn't bode well. Can anyone offer some advice as to what the problem could be or to narrow it down at least? Hardware? Corrupt drivers? I'm not tech savvy enough to fix this myself :(

mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

Did you notice what error pops up on the screen? It should indicate it somewhere on the blue screen.

mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mr_zombie60

Could be due to overheating or memory issues

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Artekus

For the blue screen it said something about a USB...so it's probably a corrupt driver for my network adaptor or something? I probably sound woefully ignorant.

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Artekus

I ran sfc/scannow and no errors were found. I also did a check on my HDD and nothing came up there either.

mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mr_zombie60

I ran sfc/scannow and no errors were found. I also did a check on my HDD and nothing came up there either.

Artekus

Software errors in drivers are actually a notable cause of blue screens. Can you get your computer to stay on at all? Or will it just not turn on at all without restarting?

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Artekus

[QUOTE="Artekus"]

mr_zombie60

Software errors in drivers are actually a notable cause of blue screens. Can you get your computer to stay on at all? Or will it just not turn on at all without restarting?

It's turning it off that's the problem. I'm actually typing from the computer at the moment.

About 3 secs after being turned off it turns itself back on.

mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mr_zombie60

[QUOTE="mr_zombie60"]

[QUOTE="Artekus"]

Artekus

It's turning it off that's the problem. I'm actually typing from the computer at the moment.

About 3 secs after being turned off it turns itself back on.

I have no experience with troubleshooting driver errors. You need to get rid of the driver though... Attempt to find it using some sort of driver sweeper? Then try reinstalling the drivers. If you cannot do that, my other guess is doing a clean install of windows. Might want a second opinion on the latter.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

What usb device do you have plug-in? Try unplugging all of them to see if you are still getting errors. Also try plugging in different USB devices to see if you get the same error.

As for your BSOD did you write down the error you have. If it restarts before you can write down the error do this. Go to

Control Panel\System and Security\System\Advance System Settings\Click settings in Startup and recovery. Uncheck the auto restart check box.

This will allow you to write down the problem and search google to see if you can find a solution. If your search turns up nothing try looking at the dump file.

You will also notice that there is a setting for creating a dump file and location in the same window.

When you crash Windows creates a dump file which has the extension .dmp. The file will have information about what may have caused your computer to crash. It should be in your windows folder.

You will need to install a program to read the file.

I use

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

It puts the info nicely into a table for you to see.

If after you get the blue screen and have trouble reading the dump file just take a screen shot and post the pic here.

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Artekus

What usb device do you have plug-in? Try unplugging all of them to see if you are still getting errors. Also try plugging in different USB devices to see if you get the same error.

As for your BSOD did you write down the error you have. If it restarts before you can write down the error do this. Go to

Control Panel\System and Security\System\Advance System Settings\Click settings in Startup and recovery. Uncheck the auto restart check box.

This will allow you to write down the problem and search google to see if you can find a solution. If your search turns up nothing try looking at the dump file.

You will also notice that there is a setting for creating a dump file and location in the same window.

When you crash Windows creates a dump file which has the extension .dmp. The file will have information about what may have caused your computer to crash. It should be in your windows folder.

You will need to install a program to read the file.

I use

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

It puts the info nicely into a table for you to see.

If after you get the blue screen and have trouble reading the dump file just take a screen shot and post the pic here.

sleepingzzz

OK, so I used the software you suggested and this is what I got for the two times it's crashed on me:

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sleepingzzz

Some bad news. The second crash by the usb device shows a bug check code that ends in FE. That usually means hardware problem and not driver unless you are using a usb device that is not compatible with your version of Windows. You never said what USB device you were using. Try plugging a different usb device into your machine to see if you have the same problem. That way you will know whether it's the USB port on your laptop that is bad or a bad/uncompatible usb device. It would also help to know more about your computer. The dmp file shows it's has a 64 bit processor. Please list the specs. What version of windows and is it the 64 bit version?

You should also run a memory test just to rule out bad memory.

Go tohttp://www.memtest.org

You can download the ISO version which you will need CD burning software and a blank CD. After you burn the software to a CD, have the laptop boot up using the CD. The program should automactically start running a series of tests on your machine.

If the CD does not boot up when you start your comp you will need to set it in the Bios to boot from CD first. When you first boot up you will usually need to hold down the Del key to access the bios. Some laptops will require you to press F1. If it's some other key besides the Delete key it should show a message on what key to press while you're booting up.

Edit: Did you uncheck the auto restart option in my earlier post? Does your PC still auto reboots after shutting down? Your PC can get a bluescreen while shutting down causing it to auto restart. So having it uncheck may allow it stop auto restarting.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
You can download the ISO version which you will need CD burning software and a blank CD.sleepingzzz
In Windows 7 you can right-click on the ISO and you get the option to burn it with the windows image burner. It burns it correctly, and you can just reboot straight from the CD. (Can't see any pictures in the thread, work blocks them all...)
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Artekus

Edit: Did you uncheck the auto restart option in my earlier post? Does your PC still auto reboots after shutting down? Your PC can get a bluescreen while shutting down causing it to auto restart. So having it uncheck may allow it stop auto restarting.

sleepingzzz

Yeah, I'd already done that before I made this thread. PC still reboots. The two bluescreens I got were completely random as I was browsing the internet, the only other program I had open was windows media player. I've not has any more BSOD's since yesterday though...which is hopeful?

Specs:

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sleepingzzz

Did you try the memory test? Your machine looks fairly new. Did you buy it pre-built? Is it still under warranty? If it's under warranty I would call them up. A tech will walk you through the same steps. From the looks of it you have a hardware problem.

If the computer is not pre-built or is no longer under warranty you can try flashing the bios to the latest version if the memory test shows no errors. You will need to go to Gigabytes website and download the latest bios version.

This seems like a bit of a long shot but, I did see this posted on the web. Wouldn't hurt to try:

FIX FOR COMPUTER NOT POWERING DOWN AFTER SHUTDOWN WINDOWS 7!

NOT MB RELATED!

If your motherboard has a firewire port, you will need to check in device manager if it is set to allow the computer to switch off the device. You can do this by going to properties of the devices under IEEE1394 Bus host controller and going to power management. After that, make sure the "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" is ticked.

Step by step for noobs:

"Windows Start Button" >> Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Device Manager >> IEEE1394 Bus host controller (expand) >> double click "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" (this could be different on your machine, not sure) >> Click on "Power Management" tab >> Check the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" >> click "OK".

Now your computer will shut down normally

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Artekus

This seems like a bit of a long shot but, I did see this posted on the web. Wouldn't hurt to try:

NOT MB RELATED!

If your motherboard has a firewire port, you will need to check in device manager if it is set to allow the computer to switch off the device. You can do this by going to properties of the devices under IEEE1394 Bus host controller and going to power management. After that, make sure the "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" is ticked.

Step by step for noobs:

"Windows Start Button" >> Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Device Manager >> IEEE1394 Bus host controller (expand) >> double click "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" (this could be different on your machine, not sure) >> Click on "Power Management" tab >> Check the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" >> click "OK".

sleepingzzz

There's no "power management" tab...

EDIT: I tried using the memory test but it said the file is invalid for use as a "security catalogue"... :?

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sleepingzzz

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

NOT MB RELATED!

Step by step for noobs:

Artekus

There's no "power management" tab...

EDIT: I tried using the memory test but it said the file is invalid for use as a "security catalogue"... :?

The memory test can not run while in windows. You need to startup your computer with the memory test cd in your machine. The machine will then boot up using the cd. Also, make sure you are not just copying the iso file to a blank cd. An iso file is an image of of cd/dvd. You can follow Chillidragon's instructions to burn an iso file with windows 7 native. If you use a third party software then make sure you use the option in the program you're using to correctly burn it to the cd. Look for an iso option or open the iso file through the cd burning software to get it to burn correctly.

If your machine does not boot from the cd and instead continues to boot up windows when you power up your computer, you will need to make sure the device boot up list in your bios has your dvd drive set first in the list. Instructions on getting to the bios is listed in an earlier post.

As for no power management tab does your account have administrator rights? Go to Control PanelUser Accounts and Family SafetyUser Accounts. Under your account name on the right it should say administrator. You will need to use an account with administrator access rights to troubleshoot the problem. Now if your account does have administrator rights and you still can't see the tab it is possible that the setting is turned off in your bios. Not sure if you already went in and turned it off earlier. If the memory test doesn't show any errors you will need to turn on the power management options in your bios so that you can try the fix above.