• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mitch3112 (89 posts) -
I own an Xbox and enjoy playing horror games. What are some good horror games that can only be found on the PC?
#2 Posted by Planeforger (17347 posts) -
Clive Barker's Undying is supposed to be excellent, but I haven't played it.
#3 Posted by vfibsux (4497 posts) -
System Shock 2 and Doom 3 come to mind, other than Undying which is pretty freaky.
#4 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

The Sufferring : Ties that bind .

#5 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

Clive Barker's Undying is supposed to be excellent, but I haven't played it.Planeforger

U can play it .Awesome game .I think its available very cheap now too.

#6 Posted by pmqz (78 posts) -
Try F.E.A.R. Scary game......
#7 Posted by _in3rtia_ (102 posts) -
Wait a little bit for Left 4 Dead which is a co op zombie game
#8 Posted by Solace64 (25 posts) -
If there's one thing that the PC is truly lacking recently its some decent horror games. Not much recently comes to mind except maybe Condemned: Criminal Origins. Looking back I'd say System Shock 2 was awesome as well and Undying.
#9 Posted by garak0410 (25 posts) -
I own an Xbox and enjoy playing horror games. What are some good horror games that can only be found on the PC?mitch3112
I actually liked Scratches quite a bit...the first Blair Witch game isn't too bad...
#10 Posted by cladinthorns (26 posts) -

I own an Xbox and enjoy playing horror games. What are some good horror games that can only be found on the PC?mitch3112

Hmm..lessee off the top of my me head you can try :

System Shock

Nocturne - very good game..kinda old but still cool.

Painkiller - some of the levels are creepy as hell.. cool shootem up

Undying - great game

F.E.A.R. - everybody knows this

Land of the Dead - Ya know, I like this game no matter how bad people say it is. There are tons of mods for this game that really makes it alot better than the original out of the box version.

Resident Evil 4 - Ugh, I will warn you now.. its out in Asia and they totally screwed the PC gamers on this one. They ported it half-assly and there are minimal shaders & lighting effects.. in other words -no atmosphere- whatsover.

Nosferatu : The Wrath Of Malachi - decent prety good atmosphere

Vampire - The Masquerade : Bloodlines - A decent RPG.. buggy as hell tho.

Evil Dead - Regeneration - Come on, ya get to be Ash! Fun action game..

The Suffering and its sequel The Suffering:Ties that bind. Both are good, but I like the first one better.

Blair Witch - it's ok. Theres a trilogy and the first 1 is the better of the lot.

Alone in the Dark - It's old ...can't wait for the new one!

Condemned: Criminal Origins

Stubbs the Zombie - Gah.. was looking forward to it, got it and played for few hours and now its dust. Gimme LOTD!

Some upcoming horror/somewhat horror games to look forward to:

Alan Wake

George Romero's City of  the Dead - For F sakes,  this game needs to be finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAH@&*&#! Been sitting in limbo due to developers belly up issue...

BioShock

STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl -not really horror per se but...

Hellgate London

Penumbra: Overture

Dead Island - ooooo! Looks cool as hell!

and for all the UNDYING fans... Clive Barkers JERICHO.

This is the genre of gaming that I mostly enjoy.. so its starting to look good for the future..

#11 Posted by portujoel5 (745 posts) -
check this video
Avatar image for slipknot-maggot
#12 Posted by slipknot-maggot (472 posts) -
The Sims... when the Grim Reaper comes out holy s**t!
#13 Posted by pdavidx (69 posts) -
What is the best horror game on pc? 
#14 Posted by Arcanefelix (514 posts) -
i dunno why no one has really talked much about condemned, because i find that a really good horror game.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806
#15 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -

you might also want to try Alien Vs Predator 2...

#16 Posted by Darkstar1919 (25 posts) -
Call of Cthulhu
#17 Posted by mazare (687 posts) -
Teletubbies
#18 Posted by BounceDK (7381 posts) -
Nocturnecladinthorns
THANK YOU! I tried playing that when it was released but my poor comp couldn't run it, so when I got a more powerfull one I wanted to try it again but I couldn't remember what the hell it was called. So I'm gonna try it now :)
#19 Posted by AlphaHumana (618 posts) -
Sanitarium has some pretty freaky, disturbing moments!  And oh god, System Shock 2 is just nuts, the disembodied voice of the ship can REALLY get to you, tough to explain, I have one friend in particular that simply would not play that game because it got to him so much.
Avatar image for Vlad_an_impaler
#20 Posted by Vlad_an_impaler (244 posts) -

Call of CthulhuDarkstar1919

Exactly... I was looking for someone to mention this one.

Avatar image for horadriclucifer
#21 Posted by horadriclucifer (40 posts) -
Teletubbiesmazare
plz dont let them come mommy, plz dont let them hurt me mommy...
#22 Posted by prowler666 (860 posts) -
if u really wan't horror and getting your heart beating like hell, it's gonna be Silent Hill series. any one of them will do the trick.
#23 Posted by AdrianWerner (28438 posts) -
Vampire - The Masquerade : Bloodlines - A decent RPG.. buggy as hell thocladinthorns
not anymore. numerous patches, both official and fan-made ones has brough this game to almost flawless state andcurrently it's easily one of best RPGs in recent years
#24 Posted by freak_c (367 posts) -
Try F.E.A.R. Scary game......pmqz
I agree very freaky and messes with your mind! Unlike Doom 3 that is just jump-out-at-you-scary.
#25 Posted by nic0008 (250 posts) -
doom 3 and f.e.a.r come to mind
#26 Posted by Deus_Ex_Fan (625 posts) -
If there's one thing that the PC is truly lacking recently its some decent horror games. Not much recently comes to mind except maybe Condemned: Criminal Origins. Looking back I'd say System Shock 2 was awesome as well and Undying.Solace64
Condemned is much like F.E.A.R., including the prefabs and textures too. One of the weakness of Monolith games is their insistent need to reuse the same stuff in their games. Still have The Thing in it's box and never installed it yet. But that's suppose to be another horror related game. BTW, horror is also to the beholder. Some think blood and gore equals it; some think psychological terror more horrifying. So choose a sub-genre based on what scares the crap out of *you* not Joe Schmoo (and remember to play it at night and in a dark room for added creepiness!).
#27 Posted by mdcw9 (158 posts) -
Left for Dead is going to be sweet. Zombie kill fest rocks...
#28 Posted by cladinthorns (26 posts) -

[QUOTE="cladinthorns"]Vampire - The Masquerade : Bloodlines - A decent RPG.. buggy as hell thoAdrianWerner
not anymore. numerous patches, both official and fan-made ones has brough this game to almost flawless state andcurrently it's easily one of best RPGs in recent years

Yeah, thats what I hear. Too bad I've deleted the game so long ago.  Maybe one day I'll get around to giving it another try.

#29 Posted by FrozeN__54 (3434 posts) -
COLD FEAR... and other games mentioned already.
#30 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
SystemShock 2.
#31 Posted by laineter (815 posts) -
I think doom 3 and fear would be a good game for your xbox. I hope there's resident evil in pc so I can suggest it too. That game was really good and scary to death. 
#32 Posted by Krangle (26 posts) -
Criminal Origins was kind of freaky
#33 Posted by ric_3000x (25 posts) -

Doom 3

#34 Posted by Lanto (1132 posts) -

Playing Aliens Vs. Predetors 1 and 2 as a marine will have you jumping out of your seat and screaming for mommy.

The first was much scarier since you couldn't save..

Avatar image for horadriclucifer
#35 Posted by horadriclucifer (40 posts) -
Painkiller; Battle out of Hell...
the first one wasnt all that scary but the expansion...
LOL, first level got me stuck... O__O
give it a try
#36 Posted by georgetkat (124 posts) -

Definitely Undying. Great game, almost feels like you're in a Clive Barker movie.

The first Shivers game, just for the atmosphere of it.

The Thing

American McGee's Alice, which can sometimes be found in a compilation that includes Undying as well as 2-3 other games.

Both of the Phantasmagoria games

Both Dark Fall games

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

Ripper

Zork Nemesis

Ghost Master, not a scary game, but very entertaining. Sort of like The sims, but with ghosts.

Sanitarium

#37 Posted by Bohica28 (163 posts) -
Cryostasis: sleep of reason

Its a new game thats comming out and looks really creepy.

Heres a 5 min video.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/cryostasissleepofreason/video_player.html?id=dnBlkmHw5bkJszfe

Be sure to be on the look out of this one.

By the way, the graphics are amazing, it kinda looks like the Crytek engine.

#38 Posted by 060390 (383 posts) -
Yeah, that game sure looks creepy
#39 Posted by 060390 (383 posts) -
Upcoming horror games: They Hunger:Lost Souls, Necrovision, METRO 2033, Deadly Gates, Inquisitor: The Samael Book,
#40 Posted by PredatorRules (11993 posts) -

F.E.A.R. - creepy mostly (few times scary - but only few)

Call of Cthulhu - heard about this game but never played it yet

Clive Barker's Undying (can't wait for Jericho)

AVP 2 - human campaign

Doom 3

HL2 - the zombie town level

#41 Posted by Subcritical (2286 posts) -

There have been many good games mentioned.  I'll like to mention:

Thief: The Dark Project.

Some of the levels are very creepy and spooky.  It may not technically be a horror game, but it has some pretty creepy moments.

#42 Posted by Velric (3841 posts) -
Call of CthulhuDarkstar1919
I was beginning to wonder if anyone would remember to put this game up there. I would highly recommend Call of Cthulu and Condemned. Both are a year or two old and hold up very well.
#43 Posted by charayel (25 posts) -
I agree with Thief series. Especially the "cradle" level in thief:deadly shadows was the most "horrorful" level I've ever played.
#44 Posted by FearsomeFarce (25 posts) -
This is a very weird thing, I know. I enjoy horror games and one of the freakiest is a mod for Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. There was a User Created Horror mod that was just so freaky and messed with your mind. It added plenty of puzzles, freaky monsters, unnatural darkness, NPCs and atmosphere to it's best. I don't say go out and find a Morrowind game (Still a VERY good game IMO), but if you have it laying around, search for the Horror mod.
#45 Posted by MJPK (3361 posts) -

This is a very weird thing, I know. I enjoy horror games and one of the freakiest is a mod for Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. There was a User Created Horror mod that was just so freaky and messed with your mind. It added plenty of puzzles, freaky monsters, unnatural darkness, NPCs and atmosphere to it's best. I don't say go out and find a Morrowind game (Still a VERY good game IMO), but if you have it laying around, search for the Horror mod.FearsomeFarce

Why did u bump a two year old thread??

#46 Posted by FearsomeFarce (25 posts) -
Because it is very helpful, I JUST found it, and it could help others looking for Horror games... Like me. ... And I fail to look at dates.
#47 Posted by MJPK (3361 posts) -

Why not make another thread instead of bumping a dead one.

#48 Posted by FearsomeFarce (25 posts) -
"Because I fail to look at dates". Anyways, Be easy if the thread was deleted, why keep around a two year old thing anyways? Unless you intend people that are interested to in it again?
#49 Posted by MJPK (3361 posts) -

"Because I fail to look at dates". Anyways, Be easy if the thread was deleted, why keep around a two year old thing anyways? Unless you intend people that are interested to in it again?FearsomeFarce

Failing to look at dates doesn't make sence.This thread must have been on page 40 or something.You should have just started a new thread instead of looking though all the old ones and bumping them up.

Oh and welcome to gamespot :P

#50 Posted by FearsomeFarce (25 posts) -
Thanks. I was searching for Horror PC Games on a Google browser and this specific topic came up on page 2 of that search. So it makes sense for me.