PC Games you didn't know had physical releases?

#1 Edited by Zuon (321 posts) -

What games did you originally have no idea had officially released, physical PC versions? Here's my top 5 in no particular order.

1. Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines

2. Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg

3. Sonic Mega Collection Plus

4. Braid

5. Mount & Blade

What about you guys?

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (12424 posts) -
@Zuon said:

What games did you originally have no idea had officially released, physical PC versions? Here's my top 5 in no particular order.

1. Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines

2. Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg

3. Sonic Mega Collection Plus

4. Braid

5. Mount & Blade

What about you guys?

Does anyone here buys CD copies for games? 2019? I didn't own CD drive for years now, everything is digitally downloaded and installed

#3 Edited by Zuon (321 posts) -

@PredatorRules: Well, none of the games listed are from 2019, but I'd still argue that there's no reason why modern PC games don't have physical releases. New computers today are still stuck with DVD-RW drives, if they have an optical drive at all. PC manufacturers should have upgraded to Blu-Ray by now, just like the consoles have.

#4 Posted by PredatorRules (12424 posts) -
@Zuon said:

@PredatorRules: Well, none of the games listed are from 2019, but I'd still argue that there's no reason why modern PC games don't have physical releases. New computers today are still stuck with DVD-RW drives, if they have an optical drive at all. PC manufacturers should have upgraded to Blu-Ray by now, just like the consoles have.

There's no reason at all for a gamer to use CDs unless he likes to collect dust on his shelf.

I bought Black Ops 3 CD box, do you know what was within it? a cd key on a paper, oh and 5 cds which I didn't bother to use because I downloaded it via Steam.

#5 Edited by Yams1980 (3467 posts) -

I try to find physical copies when i can of pc games.... its so hard these days. Main reason is I have slow internet still. But other than that reason, it's not even worth collecting games these days... the boxes look like trash and don't even give you a nice instruction manual with it like you did back in the 90s and early 2000s... and sometimes don't even put an actual disc inside and just a crap code as an extra insult.

I think in late spring or summer i may get fibre access this year finally, but till then gotta get games in physical form if possible... if thats not possible, then download them over the course of several weeks of careful planning to not go over my bandwidth limit.

My brother has a friend that has fast cable internet and at times i've had him download games if they are over 30gb or more.

I remember I was going to download rise of tombraider a while back but then i found out they actually had a UK version of the game that did have a physical release and that saved me a ton of bandwidth. But its getting more rare each year.

Some people have almost no internet access or very limited internet, and playing games these days is getting very hard to do.

Umm i drifted off into randomness from my rant about slow internet, i meant to say I didn't know Rise of Tombraider had a physical release. And like i said, i actually did find a physical release but only was available in the UK version but i wish every game had this option still, i'd even pay and extra 10 dollars for games over 30gbs to get bluray or dvds i could install.

#6 Edited by Zuon (321 posts) -

@PredatorRules: Okay, you want a valid reason for people today still going physical? Here's a few.

1. The ability to play offline without being online first.

2. For many people, installing from a disc is actually faster than downloading from the internet. Steam even has a bug for many people, where their internet connection frequently drops during downloads from all the bandwidth being pushed.

3. You can still play your copy of the game if Steam ceases to exist. Steam IS pretty stable, but no company is immortal.

4. Some games allow you to choose between multiple install sizes (Full, Typical, Minimal, etc.) This is good for people that do not wish to waste their hard drive space.

5. Physical copies of games are more reliable to mod, because Steam is not constantly updating them and breaking your mods.

6. Less intrusive DRM. When you have to be logged into Steam, Uplay, and have three different versions of always-online DRM enabled (Ubisoft), you know the game company just wants to collect your data.

7. The game you want to play does not have a digital release.

But this thread is not about this. So please, let's stop the argument here and actually discuss this topic's subject.

#8 Posted by pyro1245 (4990 posts) -

@Zuon:

I think #1 is off the table. Sign o' th' times.

#3 depends on if it's a Steam activated game or not.

And #5 is unlikely because most games are still installed through Steam even when buying a boxed copied.

#4 hasn't been a thing for a loooong time.

The best possible scenario for a physical game would be a GOG installer. GOG is by far the best digital package.

On topic (?): http://www.steamgamecovers.com/

I think making your own is just as good as 99% of real physical releases since they're typically nothing but a case with a single print out and the disc is outdated before it ships.

#9 Posted by judaspete (2949 posts) -

@Zuon: I had no idea Billy Hatcher was ever released on PC.