PC Games with Gamepad Support ***List*** (user contributions are very welcome)

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

Coming from a more console-centric background (though I've always played PC games to some degree all my life), I tend to prefer using gamepads while playing games. However, I do enjoy the ability to customize my PC to make my gaming experiences better. I feel like PC gaming is the superior platform but a lot of people enjoy using gamepads still, and unfortunately there has never been a good compiled list for those who want to see what their options are. So here it is- I've spent a good amount of time on this list. If you have any other games to add to the list or can confirm/deny a game on the list supports gamepads, it would really help a lot.

Just two things I'd like to say before continuing.

1. If you love keyboard and mouse already, great. This list isn't aimed at you. It's not to convince you to start using gamepads. It's to show people what their options are. If you loved Crysis and now somebody else will buy the game because it has gamepad support, everybody wins as it increases sales and will encourage more PC development.

2. If you're happy to see a list but are still uncomfortable with using keyboard and mouse, I highly suggest you read the second post in this thread. I was once in the same boat as you- perhaps my experience and suggestions will help you become more accustomed to using keyboard/mouse to play games that don't natively support gamepads. Trust me, for some of those great games, it's worth learning.

I should mention in posting this list that the original list was compiled by Tycobb on the Afterdawn forums. After some time, he/she stopped updating and then the list was maintained by SpykeZ on the Nforce.nl forums. However, it appears that those forums will be permanently down. I am using Tycobb's original list and trying to restore (and go beyond) SpykeZ's list.

The list will be broken into two sections- games with full gamepad support out of the box (or via official patches) and those that require some unofficial mods/fiddling with .ini files/light usage of 3rd party programs to make it fully usable. While with third party programs it's possible to make *any* PC game support gamepads, I'm referring to using them for small things that round out the experience. Perhaps in the future there could be a separate list of "games that work well with programs that emulate keyboard/mouse" but not for now.

Key:
*- games personally tested by me/other members of this forum, either demo or full version
(X)- games that should work natively with the Xbox 360 gamepad (therefore menus and key presses will display the correct button instead of a generic 'button 1')
(nothing)- works according to readmes/other sources of information but not confirmed personally

Games with full gamepad support

Aquaria*
Assassin's Creed*(X)
Audiosurf*
Beowulf
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Bioshock*(X)
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of World War II/Secret Missions of WW2
Bloodrayne 2
Cars
The Club
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (via patch)
Clive Barker's Jericho
Colin McRae: DiRT*
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Conflict: Denied Ops
Crysis*(X)
Devil May Cry 3:SE/4
Dynasty Warriors 4
Eragon
Eternity's Child
EvoChron: Renegades*
Fantastic 4
FEAR
Fifa (probably all modern iterations)
Flatout: Ultimate Challenge
Flight Simulator X
Future Cop LAPD*
Gears of War
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
The Godfather
Grand Theft Auto 3*/Vice City/San Andreas
Gun
Half-Life 2: Episode 2*
Halo CE/2 (X)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Heroes of the Pacific
I-Ninja
Ice Age: The Meltdown
Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit*
Jade Empire
Jazz Jackrabbit 2*
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men*(X)
Kung Fu Panda*(X)
Lego Indiana Jones
Lego Racers 2*
Lego Star Wars 1/The Original Trilogy
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King*
Lost
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition*(X)
Madden NFL 0x (all modern incarnations support, 08 has native X360 support*)
Mark Ecko's Getting Up*
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance*(X)
MDK2*
Metal Gear Solid 1/2
NBA 0x (all years should support gamepad)
Onimusha 3
Outrun 2006
Over the Hedge
Overlord
Pac-man World 3
Pacific Fighters
Phantasy Star Online v2*/Blue Burst*
Phantasy Star Universe /Ambition of the Illuminus*
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End
Portal*
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time/Warrior Within/Two Thrones
Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven (5, 6, and 2008 all confirmed, probably all versions though)
Psychonauts*
Race Driver: GRID*(X)
Rainbow Six: Vegas 1*(X)/2 (reported not to work with wireless 360 controller)
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Resident Evil 4*
Sega Rally Revo
Silent Hill 2/3/4
The Simpsons: Hit and Run
Shadowgrounds /:Survivor
Shadowrun*(X)
Sonic Heroes
Spiderman 3/Friend or Foe
Splinter Cell: Double Agent/Chaos Theory*
Star Wars: Battlefront 1/2
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy* (the game officially supports it, but through the demo, I couldn't get it working in a satisfactory way)
State of Emergency
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Tomb Raider: Legend/Anniversary
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2/3/4
Trackmania (all versions)*
Transformers: The Game
Ultimate Spiderman
Virtua Tennis 3
Viva Pinata
X-men: The Official Game
X-men Legends: Rise of the Apocalypse*
X3- Reunion*

Games that support gamepads with some slight modding

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind/Oblivion (require 3rd party program for right thumbstick)*
Mass Effect (requires a modified .ini file- search the Bioware forums)*
Two Worlds (requires Two Worlds control panel)*(X)
World of Warcraft (requires Switchblade, a 3rd party program but the compatibility is maintained by Switchblade, so it requires no configuration on your part)

Programs that emulate keyboard/mouse

Xpadder- Xpadder is free, so I personally recommend it. Again, with this list, it will do everything you need.

Switchblade- intended to be used with a 360 gamepad. Haven't tried it personally (but will soon)

Pinnacle GameProfiler- It's a bit more advanced, and if you're serious about using controllers in games that don't support them, it's probably a bit of a better option. You can also download premade profiles for many games. But it is $20...

There you have it- I'll do my best to keep this updated based off what I learn and contributions from other members of the PC Games forum here at Gamespot. Hope at least some people found it useful.

A special thanks to those who contributed:

Ein-7919
thusaha
AuthenticKaizen
rb2610
Dipset604
miladesn2
floridaskater05

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vampyronight
So you're interested in PC gaming, but not comfortable with the keyboard and mouse? Don't sweat it- I was in the same situation as you. If you only will play games with gamepads, you'll be missing a ton of great games.

The first thing I've noticed with myself and other forum-goers is that, if they feel uncomfortable with kb/m, it's never the mouse. We're all pretty ok with using that due to our daily activities on computers. It seems like a lot of people hate using the keyboard, specifically WASD. My hands get cramped just thinking about it.

The solution? I feel the best solution is to consider picking up a ****** Nostromo n52. It's got 15 keys, a wheel (don't use it- it's crap and will just simulate what your mousewheel does), a d-pad, and a "shift" button. Now, there's a few reasons I suggest this particular product. The first is that I love it and it's made me able to play standard kb/m games quite well. But besides that, it's really comfortable. For example, when using WASD on a regular keyboard, I feel like my hand has to be somewhat arched so as to rest on the zxc keys and maybe push them in. This can get really uncomfortable after long periods. The n52 has a nice and adjustable palmrest, so you can relax your hand while playing games.

The other reason, and this one is especially good if you're used to playing on gamepads, is the D-pad. Your left thumb will be basically resting their- if you still can't get the hang of WASD, you can reconfigure the controls so you move with the the d-pad. While the d-pad is a bit too big for its own good, you'll very quickly become comfortable moving around in games, as your left thumb would normally control the analog stick on a gamepad. This also frees up your other fingers to more quickly access other actions like reloading or applying healthpacks in-game.

One final suggestion in regards to learning kb/m- pick a game without a lot of commands. Your goal should be to focus on playing the game either using WASD or the n52's d-pad, not learning 50 button commands. So STALKER is out. I suggest Half-Life 2- it's a brilliant game to begin with, but it doesn't use a ton of keypresses. Play it on easy if you must- just get comfortable playing without the gamepad!

Listen, it's going to take some time to get comfortable- PC gamers trying to play a console for the first time are pretty uncomfortable too. The point is this: stick with it because there's too many great games on PC to miss out due to not learning a new control method. I assure you that it's worth the effort, and if you took my advice, you'll probably be comfortable with your Nostromo before you even finish HL2.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
how about, pretty much every single game made for the pc with the help a simple program called xpadder is compatible with a controller
augustlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 augustlight
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts
I'm looking forward to Street Fighter IV. I might get a pad just for that game!
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vampyronight

how about, pretty much every single game made for the pc with the help a simple program called xpadder is compatible with a controllerkidcool189

I mention that part already (and link to Xpadder!). The reason is some games simply won't "work" with using Xpadder. Go ahead and try to play a point and click RPG with a gamepad- it's basically broken. Plus, I don't want to require people to fiddle with another program to get their gamepad working. I personally would like to know if I can just pop the game in and know my gamepad is going to work.

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

3 things:

1. Shadowrun needs an (X) next to it. Even in the Windows version of the game the menu "Back," "Apply," etc... all are tagged to Xbox controller buttons (red-B, green-A, etc...). If you don't have a gamepad, the only way to use those 'buttons' would be to mouse over them and click.
  2. World of Warcraft also has gamepad support using a third-party program called...
  3. ...Switchblade (another emulator program designed for 360 gamepads)
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I'd like to add Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
Avatar image for AuthenticKaizen
AuthenticKaizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AuthenticKaizen
Member since 2008 • 284 Posts

thats a useful thread and a useful list. thanks :)

moreover have you tested joytokey beside xpadder?

wanna contribute some titles that are not one the list.

if you want you can check my blog entry called "local multiplayer fun on pc (with gamepad support)

gamepad supported games: (demos available)

shadowgrounds, shadowgrounds: survivor, x-men legends 2:rise of apocalypse, flatout 2, the lord of the rings: return of the king, jazz jackrabbit 2

gamepad supported games: (no demos available, as far as i know)

lego racers 2, future cop lapd, fantastic 4, pac-man world 3

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vampyronight

Thanks guys for adding those games/clarifying support.

About joy2key- I've used it and was less than impressed by it. It's not so much that I couldn't get it to do what I wanted exactly, I just felt it was less intuitive than the programs I listed.

Avatar image for floridaskater05
floridaskater05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 floridaskater05
Member since 2005 • 1876 Posts
vegas 2 dont work with the wirless 360 controller for windows
Avatar image for AuthenticKaizen
AuthenticKaizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AuthenticKaizen
Member since 2008 • 284 Posts

i have forgotten to mention these games

bloodrayne 2 (demo available)

billy hatcher and the giant egg (no demo available)

outrun2006 (no demo available)

ultimate spiderman (no demo available)

miladesn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 miladesn2
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XInput_games

I didn't check all of them, but most of them are already on your list.

Add Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, it doesn't detect triggers for 360 controller but my logitech gamepad works fine.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance (X) -> full support for all kind of gamepads with vibration.

Kung Fu Panda(X)

Dipset604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dipset604
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
Marc Ecko's Getting Up works with my logitech gamepad
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
I like to use my mind! LOL
TanKLoveR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TanKLoveR
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

How do u play Audiosurf with the gamepad?, i gave that a try but didnt see any support for the gamepad so i used xpadder simulate the mouse but i had a hard time staying in the middle T_T. The mouse sensitivity its hard to set.

Thx for the list i was looking into a couple of games, dmc4 has been a nightmare cuz it wont register the 2nd stick so i cant move the camera -_-.

rb2610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 rb2610
Member since 2007 • 3325 Posts
All the Trackmania games support gamepads, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King does as well, that game is great :D
Avatar image for ravenns25011981
ravenns25011981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ravenns25011981
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if Kung Fu Panda for PC, works with any other game controller other than Xbox 360 PC controller? I would like to buy GIGATECH SA-110X gamepad, so has anybody had any expiriience with GIGATECH + KFP? One more thing, I am a seasonal player, so I don't want to spend alrge amounts of money for a gamepad. I just want to play Kung fu panda with the gamepad. TNX in advance...

Delius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Delius
Member since 2005 • 571 Posts
Team Fortress 2 has gamepad support :D
sholticee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sholticee
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
im playing Lego Batman with 360 controller... works fine ;)
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

here is a cool controler you need to use your mind to play games

http://technorati.com/posts/0T6AiNxzWr67AXjl1sGGUNXKVspB4v6UD%2BbJTKomv1M%3D

http://www.tv.com/users/Pro_wrestler/profile.php

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5274390/OCZ-NIA-Neural-Impulse-Actuator/Product.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B-E4IKcOmQ

Nano_Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nano_Assassin
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
how can you write so much!!!
Freegor50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Freegor50
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Is it possible to alias the keyboard and mouse to Sonic Heros for PC? I don't understand how they sell a game for PC and you can not set up or use the mouse and Keyboard. We don't have a gamepad for PC here. So what good is a PC game that can not even be configured with standard PC Inputs? I checked, there is no obvious config file to edit. No .ini either. as a matter of fact all of the games file extensions are SEGA Prop. Any fix for this? I checked all over the gaming sites. No mention at all on how to assign keyboard keys to play.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts
List is missing Gish and Gumboy Crazy Adventures (and probably Gumboy Tournament, though I haven't played it so I'm not sure).
jts608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jts608
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Other games that support gamepads:

Bully Scholarship Edition*

Left 4 Dead*

Saints Row 2*

Madagascar 1&2*

Blacksite: Area 51*

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
RSV2 is actually better with the 360 controller. Plus you can do the inventory glitch in cover :D so many bodies!
bleigh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: -1

#26 bleigh316
Member since 2002 • 348 Posts

To add two more: Fallout 3 and The Last Remnant, that I'm currently playing now.

Mike1234234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mike1234234
Member since 2004 • 2004 Posts

Anybody know how to get joysticks working in the original Splinter Cell? I got the buttons working but not the joysticks, and having to adjust Sams speed with a mouse wheel is pretty lame.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

- Crysis Warhead

- Crysis

- Crysis Wars

- Farcry2

- Left4Dead

- Saints Row 2

- Mirrors Edge

- Prince Of persia

- Fifa 09

- Fallout3

- NBA2k9

- Unreal3

- Team Fortress2

- The Last Remnant

- The Older Need For Speed games i remember playing on a controller with

- MLB 2k9

Me or my friends have tried controllers on all those games. Sure alot of them have been listed, but thought i would just post the ones ive tried first hand.

basangicu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 12

#29 basangicu
Member since 2007 • 275 Posts

Grand Theft Auto IV*(X) (I only tried it with the Xbox 360 gamepad.)

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City* (I tested it.)

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time* (I tested it.)

imdprogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 imdprogamer
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Hi thanks for this

But I believe u can't play PoP-SoT with any common controllers like the 360 or the RumblePad.

If there is a way.....Plz advice

Thanx again

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

Also:

• Dirt 2*(X)
  • NFS: Shift* (based on the demo, didn't appear to have native controller support for the 360 gamepad, so could someone else with the game verify?)
Megazell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Megazell
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I saw Xpadder mentioned and I read your response.

I personally use Joy2key. I've been playing PC games since the early days and I am 99% gamepad.

Even RTS and Point and Click games can be configured to work 100% with Joy2key.

Also - here is a thread from 2006 with a great list of games that work with gamepad without a 3rd party program.

Megazell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Megazell
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/360823

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I use My gamepads only with hack and slash games like DMC4 and Ninja Blade. But i really appreciate your effort here :)
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

Left 4 Dead 2 *

Assassin's creed 2 *

Street Fighter IV *

Prince if Persia (new one) *

Batman AA (X)

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#36 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

Batman: Arkham Asylum * (X)

Assassin's Creed *

Devil May Cry 4 * (X)

Gears of War * (X)

Bioshock * (X)

Team Fotress 2 * (X)

Left 4 Dead *

Left 4 Dead 2 *

Portal

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box * (X)

GRID * (X)

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Just Cause 2

I was just playing the demo with an xbox 360 controller.

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lox_Cropek

Oh yeah, Just Cause 2 * (X)

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#39 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Dirt 2

Braid

Trine

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lox_Cropek

Left 4 Dead*

Left 4 Dead 2*

itachi100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#41 itachi100
Member since 2007 • 1067 Posts

I can't get my gamepad to work with Return of the King =( Anyone know how to make it work?

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Add Prototype to your list: it supports the Xbox 360 controller.:)

xDevilWeedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xDevilWeedx
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE=""]

First thing first, while I agree that using a keyboard and mouse is a must for PC games, there are many games out there that really feel better using a controller. all of these games worked for me. Although I used software to make my PS3 controller emulate a 360, that shouldn't matter. I didn't need to configure anything in game, it was just plug and play. Also, not sure if the author is still doing this but anyway you can start adding them like I have it below? I know it might be a pain, but it would be a much better guide if there was a little info on the games rather then just names. I am using your list as more of a buying guide. Dead Space (X) Electronic Arts EA Redwood Shores Sci-Fi Shooter Release: Oct 20, 2008 ESRB: Mature http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/deadspace/review.html?tag=stitialclk;gamespace The Last Remnant (X) Square Enix Role-Playing Release: Mar 24, 2009 » ESRB: Mature http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thelastremnant/index.html?tag=result;title;0 Farcry 2 Ubisoft Ubisoft Montreal Modern First-Person... Release: Oct 21, 2008 » ESRB: Mature http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/farcry2/index.html?tag=result;title;0/p>

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Batman AA and Red Faction Guerrilla is all i can think about atm.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#45 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
Holy thread resurrection
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Borderlands can be added for native Xbox 360 controller support
Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
Nice list!
xDevilWeedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xDevilWeedx
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Fallout 3 is another tested and confirmed
gamepad-games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gamepad-games
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hello :) have a look at this nice page: http://www.gamepad-games.com It is a list of all pc-games with native controller support incl. metacritics-score. cu
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-360-controller-support-for-pc/92-2465/games/?page=4