PC games with a Gothic/Dark setting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e33eac3b8d33
deactivated-5e33eac3b8d33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e33eac3b8d33
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts

I'd kindly ask anyone to recommend me a good gothic/dark themed game... Any genre, but Adventure/RPG is preferred. So here is the criteria:

1. Vampires and werevolves - No, I'm not a Twilight fan, I'm a guy. But if the game has vampires and werewolves in it, it's my kind of game.

2. Gothic setting - You know... Dark forests, creepy huge Dracula-styled castles, cathedrals, gothic towns, bathed in moonlight, graveyards, creepy cults... That kinda thing.

3. Gothic music - Something like Adrian von Ziegler, if you've ever heard of him. So - Gothic music, metal or ambiental, neoclassical music, anything like that.

4. No kids' games - Vampyre story looks really cute, but it also looks like it's made for kids. So, Mature 17+ or Adults only 18+ is what I want.

5. Good story - A great plus, I like games with good stories.

6. Victorian Era - Medieval fantasy is really cool. I liked the Witcher series very much, but I would prefer something at least close to the Victorian-era ambience, architecture and fashion. Modern-era is also ok.

By gothic/dark games I mean games like:

- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (Got the best gothic feeling from this game)

- Castlevania

- Devil May Cry series

- Amnesia

- Dream of the Blood Moon

Those are some gothic-themed games I've played so far. I've also played a few games of the Gothic series. Now, I'm not saying the Gothic games are bad, quite the opposite, they're awesome RPGs, but I don't understand why they're called Gothic... Yes, I know the term 'Gothic' is closely tied to the Medieval Age, but that's not the actual 'kind' of gothic I was looking for.

Also, I'm considering playing the Legacy of Kain series, and I'm really looking forward to World of Darkness Online.

Of course, not ALL of the above conditions need to be strictly met. Just give me something as close to it as it can get.

Fire away. Let me hear your opinion and pleeease recommend me a good game that matches the criteria above. Thanks in advance.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#3 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

The only game that comes to mind right now is Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi - but I don't know how good it is as I only ever played the demo, and it was released in 2003 or 2004.

The Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim focuses on vampires (complete with castles), and the main game also has some werewolves - but it's probably not the setting you're looking for.

There's also Darkwatch, a vampire/western mix, but that was console only.

mAArdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mAArdman
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts

You've already mentioned vampire the masquerade : bloodlines which i think is the game that best fits your criteria.

These are some games that have a dark setting, and while they're not necessarily gothic, you might want to take a look at them.

Limbo.

Sanitarium.

Still Life.

System Shock 2.

Silent Hill series.

Painkiller.

Scratches.

Batman Arkham City/Asylum.

Not a lot of games that fit your criteria now that I think about it. Hopefully you find something worth looking into.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

vampire: the masquerade

DMC (yes this is on pc too)

two worlds II (well some parts of it)

wh40k: dawn of war II and wh40k: space marine (if u can choke down sci-fi gothic)

gemini rue (sort of like a 2d bladerunner)

the eye: divine cybermancy (audio is only in polish but there is english text/subtitles)

hard reset

heroes of might & magic VI (gothic lite)

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
- Dark Souls has a very strong Gothic feel to it. it's also a great action / RPG. The story is very obscure, but the setting and the world is very well presented. While the PC versions have a number of issues, they can largely be ignored as long as you're ok playing with a controller and use the fan made resolution fix
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I'm not sure it's gothic or victorian, but Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is definitely dark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Messiah_of_Might_and_Magic

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Not so much gothic, but dark at times. The Witcher 1.
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

Isn't Thief gothic-y? It doesn't have werewolves but it might be kinda in your criteria

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

A lot of people don't know that Gothic is a style of architecture. It consists of high arches and gargoyle statues.

But I understand what you are saying.

I was looking at a game the other day where you could have skeletons/vampires in your party. It's an older game and I hope this is correct:

Might and Magic (not heroes) 9? is it 9 or 8? one of those.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

The D&D Ravenloft setting is primarily gothic horror. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenloft

You have Strahd's Possession and Stone Phophet.  They are very atmospheric dungeon crawlers (great music), but pretty simplistic, especially for D&D games.   Worth a playthrough though.  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenloft:_Strahd%27s_Possession and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenloft:_Stone_Prophet 

There's Personal Nightmare and the Elvira RPG series from Horrorsoft.  (Mistress of the Dark, #2 The Jaws of Cerberus and #3 Waxworks)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvira:_Mistress_of_the_Dark

There's also the Veil of Darkness adventure game, which was really good too.     en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil_of_Darkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e33eac3b8d33

Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolvesbonafidetk

Looks cool, will follow it...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e33eac3b8d33

Thanks for the replies... I've looked up your suggestions, and these are the games that I would like to play:

- Dracula: Origins

- Legacy of Kain series

Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves ... will definitely look it up once it is released

- Gemini Rue looks kinda cool...

- Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi also looks cool

Will check them out, thanks... Keep suggesting, maybe something even better will come up :)

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
in before Diablo 3.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

A lot of people don't know that Gothic is a style of architecture. It consists of high arches and gargoyle statues.

But I understand what you are saying.

I was looking at a game the other day where you could have skeletons/vampires in your party. It's an older game and I hope this is correct:

Might and Magic (not heroes) 9? is it 9 or 8? one of those.

TheHighWind

The word Goth actually originated from a clan named the "Ostrogoths" and then later on the word Gothic was used as a means to offend people, basically calling them savages. It was quite a few centuries later that the word "Gothic" was used for a type of architecture.

Also people mistake Grotesques for Gargoyles. Gargoyles are used for filtering out water, where as Grotesques are Eire statues.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Diablo 1 and 2

Dark Souls

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#19 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
Not to be sarcastic, but try the Gothic series. Also, The Witcher is good and has that same kind of vibe.