PC Games suffer from huge stuttering or screen tearing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

Hey, I recently update my NVIDIA Drivers for my laptop, and now there seems to be a major issue. When I play certain games with V-Sync off, like Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2, I get a lot of screen tearing. If I turn on V-Sync, now there is major stuttering whenever I move my aiming reticle around. Its very noticeable and distracting, almost makes you a bit dizzy. Everything gets blurred and I was wondering if anyone has a fix for this. For Metro 2033 I get huge stuttering and there is no V-Sync option at all as far as I know.

I have a Lenovo Y-500 laptop with an Intel i5 3230m processor@2.60 GHZ, Dual NVIDIA Geforce GT 650m running in SLI, 6GB of ram with a 1920x1080 screen. It runs everything pretty smoothly, like Crysis 2 runs @1080p and I can get close to 60FPS with extreme settings and Direct X11 turned on. Also I can max everything out on Starcraft 2 @1080p and it runs perfect. The games mentioned above run at high framerates, but like I said I get a lot of screen tearing if I don't use V-Sync, but V-Sync causes huge stuttering, which is even worse. I don't know why it stutters for certain games when V-Sync is on doing. I tried using frame rate limiters with third party programs like EVGA precision but it still stutters unless I limit it to frame limits about 60, and that just causes it to stutter. I want to limit the framerate to prevent screen tearing, but I also want to stop screen tearing as well, because that's very annoying. If anyone knows something that can help I would greatly appreciate it. I believe it's probably a bug in NVIDIA's latest drivers, but maybe there's an easy fix for it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Screen-tearing is due to the refresh rate to your monitor. So if you have a 60hz monitor and you're getting more than 60 frames per second, you need to use vsync to eliminate the screen-tearing. Or you could buy a 120/144hz monitor. That's what v-sync is for. There are very few games that can handle high frame rates with very little screen-tearing. One of those games is Battlefield 3... it barely tears.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FPS1337
Screen-tearing is due to the refresh rate to your monitor. So if you have a 60hz monitor and you're getting more than 60 frames per second, you need to use vsync to eliminate the screen-tearing. Or you could buy a 120/144hz monitor. That's what v-sync is for. There are very few games that can handle high frame rates with very little screen-tearing. One of those games is Battlefield 3... it barely tears.Elann2008
Problem is when I use V-Sync I get major stuttering in game, and I would rather have screen tearing then the stuttering. The stuttering makes games nearly unplayable.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Screen-tearing is due to the refresh rate to your monitor. So if you have a 60hz monitor and you're getting more than 60 frames per second, you need to use vsync to eliminate the screen-tearing. Or you could buy a 120/144hz monitor. That's what v-sync is for. There are very few games that can handle high frame rates with very little screen-tearing. One of those games is Battlefield 3... it barely tears.FPS1337
Problem is when I use V-Sync I get major stuttering in game, and I would rather have screen tearing then the stuttering. The stuttering makes games nearly unplayable.

Are you talking about input lag? I'd use D3D Overrider. It's so much better than Nvidia Panel's vsync. :D Unfortunately, D3D Overrider is no longer supported but the latest version does support most games (98% of them).
ballaress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ballaress
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I would rather have screen tearing then the stuttering. The stuttering makes games nearly unplayable.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FPS1337
[QUOTE="FPS1337"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]Screen-tearing is due to the refresh rate to your monitor. So if you have a 60hz monitor and you're getting more than 60 frames per second, you need to use vsync to eliminate the screen-tearing. Or you could buy a 120/144hz monitor. That's what v-sync is for. There are very few games that can handle high frame rates with very little screen-tearing. One of those games is Battlefield 3... it barely tears.Elann2008

Are you talking about input lag? I'd use D3D Overrider. It's so much better than Nvidia Panel's vsync. :D Unfortunately, D3D Overrider is no longer supported but the latest version does support most games (98% of them).

For some reason I downloaded Rivatuner and D3D Overrider still doesn't work. I turned on triple buffering and V-Sync on in the NVIDIA control panel and that seems to be much better than V-Sync in game. There is a little stuttering, but its not nearly as noticeable and the screen tearing is turned down to a minimum. Thanks for your suggestions though. Also I don't think this stuttering is input lag. Things are delayed when I shoot or anything, but when I turn back and fourth my screen blurs and seems to almost vibrate it seems. The best word for it is stuttering like my player doesn't scroll sideways smoothly, he like has a stuttering issue.
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts
Could be a bad driver install ( happens ) Use driver cleaner and reinstall. Easiest way to fix it is to roll back drivers to where it was working fine. I never update drivers as soon as they pop up....too many bad experiences. I'm using 4 month old drivers and all my games are fine.