PC gamers, Best FPS this gen?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
It has been awhile, but the dooms, and half-life 2's are outdated, before the next generation of consoles starts, I ask you what are the Best FPS game or games this generation to grace your monitor? I will say there have been many greats, and I find it hard to choose.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

tribes ascend

i mean

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

There have been a lot I've really enjoyed but I can't think of any that truely stood out like Half-Life 2 or FEAR did back in the day. 

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

What FPS plays anything remotely like DOOM?  It's the only one of it's kind.

Of the decade I acknowledge

-Half Life 2 (non-FPS but whatever)

-Painkiller

-TimeSplitters 2/FP

-FEAR

-Crysis

-RO Ostfront

-Serious Sam 3

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#5 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
technically HL2 came out last gen, since the 360 released in late 2005 and HL2 was late 2004. Probably Crysis 1
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

do PCs really have "gens"?  I tend to simply think of "best of" lists for PC in terms of decades.

Anyway, I am sure my vote might change, and you guys might think I am crazy, but I am going to toss Red Faction: Armageddon out there.  Incredibly fun game.  Way underappreciated.  Brilliant, beautiful, and honestly the most fun I've had with an action game in a long, long, long time.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

BioShock

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

do PCs really have "gens"?  I tend to simply think of "best of" lists for PC in terms of decades.

Anyway, I am sure my vote might change, and you guys might think I am crazy, but I am going to toss Red Faction: Armageddon out there.  Incredibly fun game.  Way underappreciated.  Brilliant, beautiful, and honestly the most fun I've had with an action game in a long, long, long time.

mrbojangles25
I loved that game as well. My only problem with the game was a huge story plothole that could have prevented them from living underground in the first place.
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
If it counts. FEAR. Actually, FEAR is the best FPS ever made.
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#10 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

I would cite Tribes: Ascend if it wasn't a "free-to-play" title.

Other than that, I personally am not enamoured with first-person shooters anymore. They have gone stale for me.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2superclocked
this game is hawt topic but i miss give the award to bioshock 2. i have wayyy too much fun playing that game

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I'll give Bioshock 2 a nod as well.

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts
  • Far Cry 1
  • No One Lives Forever 2
  • Clive Barker's Undying
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Half-Life 2
  • RTCW
  • Crysis 1

mrbojangles25

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

Can't really think of anything in the last like, 10-15 years except the Quake games, HL2 or FEAR. I guess I'll go with Far Cry 2 as a more recent title.

Harvey Smith (lead designer on DX) does a good article which has a lot of points I agree with: http://www.witchboy.net/2013/02/07/the-genius-of-far-cry-2/ Purely in terms of single-player it offers some fantastic opportunities for emergent gameplay, in which the player is given a set of gameplay tools to bring about a situation relatively unique to his/her playthrough. The game has a nice combination of sandbox-style open-world level design and campaign progression with a simple but not too boring shooter engine.

On the whole though I'm quite unimpressed with the genre right now, not to mention the games industry....

Purely in terms of gameplay, shooters haven't really progressed at all since the original Quake. Item control, positioning, appropriate weapon use and exploitation of engine physics are concepts almost completely lost on the slower style of shooter seen in Counter-Strike and Call of Duty. There's been a bellicose focus on aesthetic and so-called 'realism' which people have come to see as the standard. I'm referring to both single-player and multi-player here. The idea that role-playing elements such as skill-points and weapon upgrades add a new dimension to a genre which has stayed the same for 20 years is a complete fallacy. Such gameplay elements are in no way pertinent to shooters themselves; that's not what shooters are about. They bring about as much value to a shooter than hats did to TF2 (this game is just one example of my above statement). Shooters are about those concepts which I mentioned above. Quake is special because of the prominence of such elements. The game's engine physics make for interesting gameplay in terms of player movement and weapon use - to be good at the game, an understanding of the physics is need to be able to traverse the map quickly and with agility, while one must understand the physical effects of the weapons - a rocket can push the receiving player into the air, or they can be pushed backwards by the shaft of a lightning gun. Item pickups such as weapons and armour require strategic timing and positioning in order for a player to control them and use the advantage they give.

Contemporary shooters severely lack such concepts. Of course, skill is involved, but only for relatively simplistic tasks such as aim reflexes and basic teamwork skills.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2superclocked
The cover system and multiplayer was so exciting when it came out.. pity that mp soon got full of hacking russians :/
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#17 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Funny, dude was asking for recent fps's, people still throwing out Half life lol. 

FPS has been a very disappointing genre for me in recent years. I can't believe no one mentioned Farcry 3 (unless I missed it), maybe because it is outside the box of the terribly bland and generic typical fps on rails released these days.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

FPS has been a very disappointing genre for me in recent years. I can't believe no one mentioned Farcry 3 (maybe I missed it, not in analyze mode just yet this morning), maybe because it is outside the box of the terribly bland and generic typical fps on rails released these days.

vfibsux
I mentioned FC2 in my post; in all honesty I haven't even played 3 yet.
gogoplexiorayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19 gogoplexiorayo
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

the fps genre is not what it used to be. I really miss fps games like Half life 2, Doom 3, Battlefield 2 and Delta Force Black Hawk Down. But there are a few good ones this gen like F.E.A.R, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Crysis, Crysis 2 and Far Cry 2. This gen was really the gen where i started to look at other genres for my gaming fix, The fps genre is so poor that i have to add a litte bit of rpg games to the mix.

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
Crysis 1, Iv beat it about 4 times and play it quite often Only beat the second once and haven't even played the third lolol it's incredible just how much better the first one is compared to the sequels
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts
[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"]Crysis 1, Iv beat it about 4 times and play it quite often Only beat the second once and haven't even played the third lolol it's incredible just how much better the first one is compared to the sequels

Shooting the flying aliens when they first appeared is one of the most fond memories i have of a fps.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

HL2

Crysis

Counterstrike (Source or Go) *inb4 1.6 old men*

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Half-Life 2 naturally if Half-Life 2 is still this gen, because generations don't mean much on PC. :P

Also possibly Crysis original, or maybe even something like RAGE. I know a lot else wasn't good with RAGE but the shooting was faultless.

ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ClassicRockFTW
Member since 2012 • 1106 Posts

tribes ascend

i mean

Lots of different types of players play. CTF players and arena players. Here's some of the arena ladder competition 

http://www.twitch.tv/jigglywigglyx/b/415438309?t=12m

zubin and me top of the ladder, only lost a single round once, never lost a map lol.

or just playing fastpaced instead of slow paced http://www.twitch.tv/jigglywigglyx/c/2430917

and ofc the maingametype ctf, which i am ofc bad though 

you don't see games like this very often that appeal to everyone's gamestyle and the comp scene is still alive and doing fairly well

JigglyWiggly_

>Arena shooter

>Best this gen

>mfw 

333742112_prod_228_5882_answer_1_xlarge.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
If you want an old school FPS but with modern graphics I recommend Serious Sam 3. Also, Interceptor and old Apogee employees are doing a remake of Rise of the Triad. So far it looks great.
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Well, based purely on the games I played the most I'd say:

Left 4 Dead (1&2)

Killing Floor

Portal (1&2)

Crysis (1)

STALKER: SoC (I never played Clear Sky or Call of Pripyat so I can't comment)

With honourable mentions for Planetside 2, Far Cry 3, and Bioshock Infinite because they're fairly recent additions but I'm not totally sure about their longtime quality yet.

Cordliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cordliss
Member since 2011 • 118 Posts

For me, a tie between:

Crysis and Stalker - Shadow of Chernobyl.

Crysis pretty much dominated my game time for a while due to making mods and multiplayer maps. It is easily the most memorable FPS for me even above Half Life 2 because of the huge modding scene. Stalker was just an awesome game period, the atmosphere and the rpg elements completely sold me on the idea that open-world/rpg shooters were the wave of the future.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#28 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

FEAR if it counts, otherwise Stalker: SoC. 

Crysis is another good choice 

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

mrbojangles25
I was gonna ask this same question. As I haven't played any FPS in a few years until I recently installed RO2 and picked up Rising Storm, I have to go with this as I haven't played Ghost Recon in quite some time.
anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

CS:source - pre2010 patch (which made the game a significantly worse.)

Left for dead 1 & 2

Team fortress 2

Borderlands 2

crysis

Far cry 3

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Battlefield 3.  I still need to play Far Cry 3, but I doubt that will change my answer.  I am looking forward to Timesplitters Rewind and BF4.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Half-life 2 and episodes.  Still the best, and still looks decent.  Source engine was used heavily during this "gen."

Crysis/Warhead

Far Cry 2 and 3

Battlefield- Bad Company 2

Call of Duty 2

FEAR

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

for sp crysis 1 undoubtedly.

the moment i realised how special the game was was right near the start, there's an outpost right at the top of a huge hill overlooking a korean base. your goal is to rescue the hostage in the base but when you scan with the binoculars you notice a number of possible entry points and a fuel depot. so you have the option to attack from any number of pathways by land, by sea, by jeep, by boat, using any of the suit powers and your customised arsenal including sniper rifle, missile launcher, grenades etc allowing you to blow up the depot to create a distraction, stealthing in to the base, going all out rambo style or any combo of these.

because nearly everything was destructable the game allowed you to be seriously creative in how you approached a goal which made it so immersive. to me anyway

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

Red Orchestra 2

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
Maximum Armor................. I mean the Crysis series. The story is a little ho hum, but the gameplay is awesome.
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
Are we talking about mp FPS or singleplayer ? MP I would say bf3 (sadly) is the best we got. I say sadly because despite being the best mp out there, it's still a piece of crap most of the time.. As for singleplayer FPS, I think Bioshock, RAGE were the best.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Half-Life series, FEAR 1 were FPS games actually worth running to the store to buy and hurry to play. Crysis 1 and Warhead gave me the familiar feeling. Bad Company 2 was another good one that I loved playing. BF3 could have been; it had potential. I think BF4 will accomplish that.
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Counter strike source

Half life 2

TF2

Day of defeat source

Doom 1,2,3

Black mesa source

FEAR (only the first)

BF3 (multiplayer only)

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
[QUOTE="superclocked"]Rainbow Six: Vegas 2alan_carter
The cover system and multiplayer was so exciting when it came out.. pity that mp soon got full of hacking russians :/

I never cheated, but everyone else did. It still wasn't fair playing against me though. I would get 50:1 kill ratios when I was sober...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="alan_carter"][QUOTE="superclocked"]Rainbow Six: Vegas 2superclocked

I never cheated, but everyone else did. It still wasn't fair playing against me though. I would get 50:1 kill ratios when I was sober...

I was the complete opposite. RS:V2 was fun as hell. I play better with a few beers in me.
Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

HL2. It has that "something".

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
Call of Duty 4. Just because the series is now trash doesn't mean we shouldn't recognize a fantastic game.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Too many to single out but STALKER SoC and CoP are up there. Absolutely outstanding and unique games.
NightmareP3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 NightmareP3
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

Team Fortress 2

also to the guys saying HL2, remember HL2 was technicly last gen not curent gen.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

There is only one recent FPS that I enjoyed from start to finish. Wait for it......Bulletstorm. Short, sweet, and full of hilarious set pieces (dinosaurs, giant ferris wheels, etc.).

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

There is only one recent FPS that I enjoyed from start to finish. Wait for it......Bulletstorm. Short, sweet, and full of hilarious set pieces (dinosaurs, giant ferris wheels, etc.).

Ricardo41
Bulletstorm was a great game, super underrated.
zethes66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zethes66
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
The older fps games are just so much better. My internet recently went down, and when I didn't have the ability to watch movies or play games with my friends, I had a doom 3 marathon. Beat the game 4 times. I also love to play Far cry3, and the entire crysis series(the first one is the best, though.)
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#49 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Don't FEAR and Half-Life 2 Episode 2 count for this gen?  Because they totally kick ass!

But if we don't count those, my favorites this gen are BioShock Infinite and Crysis.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#50 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="Ricardo41"]

skrat_01

Bulletstorm was a great game, super underrated.

I uninstalled that game after an hour.  It just gave me a headache.