PC Gamer or Games for Windows?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jorbo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jorbo76
Member since 2006 • 354 Posts
I don't know which magazine I should subscribe to...  Which pc gaming magazine is better and why?
DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts

personally i have a Games for Windows subscription and i like it. Have never gotten PC Gamer so i wouldnt know about it

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts

pc gamer is a good magazine.  i like it a lot.

ArabSolja99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ArabSolja99
Member since 2006 • 1630 Posts
pc gamer is SUPER
jorbo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jorbo76
Member since 2006 • 354 Posts
Well, what are some reasons you like those magazines???  Do you guys have reasons why you think one is better than the other?
ZuljinRaynor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 ZuljinRaynor
Member since 2005 • 1310 Posts
PC Gamer.  Games for Windows... I just hate the staff.  That's why I hate the mag.  I don't like their style, writing, affliations and well after listening to their podcast, them overall.
Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts
I've had a subscription to PCGamer for years now and love it. The reviews are thorough and seem fair. The editors have a sense of humor. And the magazine always seems up to date (they aren't reviewing a game two or three months after release and the previews are in line with what other sources are reporting and sometimes ahead). The demo discs also sometimes have nifty little goodies. It's like christmas 12 times a year for me! (ok, that last part may have been a slight exageration):P
DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DDX2

Well, what are some reasons you like those magazines???  Do you guys have reasons why you think one is better than the other?jorbo76

o...well personally i like their writing styles and the tech section is always good. plus im always looking forward to each months Tom vs Bruce column (two guys go head to head in RTS/TBS games)

Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts

Well, I'll repeat what I've said many times here..

PCGamer isn't just games (although they have plenty of that) but it's about an enjoyable time reading it. I find myself waiting for the magazine just to read it as soon as it gets here, and enjoy the humor, personality, and the new age nerds in action. And when it gets here, often enough it'll have a good exclusive demo, or exclusive review or preview which are almost always humorous while rating somewhat reasonably (considering each game is rated by a single member of the mag, and everyone has unique opinions). I suggest PCG, personally. They have everything any other PC Gaming magazine would have (except maybe as many tech reviews), plus plenty of humor and personality.

dj_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dj_001
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I've had both and they are both good. But they are always slow in news and reviews(Its normally a month or so behind)They get ok scopes every now and then. They also do a decent job with hardware and have answered several question ive had(PC gamer is a little better here) The down side to them is that they both tend to play kiss ass with the various developers. For less know games they tend to be more balnaced on reviews. Overall i like pc gamer better. But like ive always said you get the same stuff for free on the internet anyways. If really want to go with one go with PC gamer.
1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts
PC Gamer by far. I even get a nostalgic feel from it because I remember reading about all the classic games in it back in 1999. Games For Windows is crap because it's just a new Microsoft attempt at getting more people developers to switch over to Games For Windows. Shocking. Just shocking. Get with the PC Gamer. They'll be far better.
DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DDX2

PC Gamer by far. I even get a nostalgic feel from it because I remember reading about all the classic games in it back in 1999. Games For Windows is crap because it's just a new Microsoft attempt at getting more people developers to switch over to Games For Windows. Shocking. Just shocking. Get with the PC Gamer. They'll be far better. 1carus

Games for Windows is just Computer Gaming World with a new name. They arent even affiliated with Microsoft (at least one of their articles concerning the name change said so)

dj_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dj_001
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Ya. Games for windows isnt new. MS just bought computer gaming world and from reading the old and the new not much has changed in there writing and format. The only difference is that there is normally an add in the back of the mag for various games for windows stuff. Other than that its all the same as it was before MS bought them
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
PC Gamer
radiocreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 radiocreed
Member since 2005 • 1588 Posts

I grabbed a copy of PC Gamer, the Guild Wars 2 edition and I wasn't very happy with it. The main article was good but overall, it kinda lack compared to game web sites/blogs such as Gamespot and Joystiq. Some of their reviews are from a few paragraphs to one page long with very little about the game. Some of the fonts were too small too.

The paper quality is lame, the copy I got was only about 90+ pages long and cost around $12 CAD. Magazines from 10+ years were much better in quality than today. It's just not enough bang for your bucks. However, they do have an annual subscription of $19.95, that alone might be worth it. You might be reading stale news in the bathroom most of the time.

Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts

I grabbed a copy of PC Gamer, the Guild Wars 2 edition and I wasn't very happy with it. The main article was good but overall, it kinda lack compared to game web sites/blogs such as Gamespot and Joystiq. Some of their reviews are from a few paragraphs to one page long with very little about the game. Some of the fonts were too small too.

The paper quality is lame, the copy I got was only about 90+ pages long and cost around $12 CAD. Magazines from 10+ years were much better in quality than today. It's just not enough bang for your bucks. However, they do have an annual subscription of $19.95, that alone might be worth it. You might be reading stale news in the bathroom most of the time.

radiocreed

Who in their right mind would pay for individual magazines when the subscription prices for thirteen of them is usually about the price of two or three? Not only that, but you get one nobody else has put their grubby hands on, and it's always in the plastic, and PCG mails you earlier versions before they put them out on the shelfs sometimes.

Judging it by the stand price is not really reasonable, and the rest of your arguments are.. really nitpicky about stupid things. Paper quality.. font size.. I'm assuming the person asking is asking which mag he should subscribe to.

And that's another thing about PCG. I can easily get great, long reviews on even the smallest most inconspicuous games in the world, whereas magazines have a limit on how many games they can include, and I'm assuming most would make less popular games a bit smaller reviews and more popular or potentially popular games bigger reviews. But you can get huge reviews for free from gamespot or something. The reason PCGamer is a good magazine is because it has more than that, like I said earlier. It could have the best magical amazing reviews in the world, but I doubt I wouldn't be able to find just as good ones over this huge internet. It's an experience, man. An experience. 

Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

I had a subscription to PC Gamer for years and I didn't renew it last year and that was  mistake as it is a great magazine that I always read as soon as it arrived.  Reading this thread made me remember how great it was to read it every month.

I just resubscribed and I'm already looking forward to getting it again! :)

SaDiZTiKStyLeZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 SaDiZTiKStyLeZ
Member since 2006 • 1111 Posts
PC Gamer.
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
I dont know about Games for Windows, but I have a few PC Gamer editions, I prefer PC Powerplay for australia though.
Jalannom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jalannom
Member since 2003 • 315 Posts

I vote for PC gamer. I've subscribed for many years and although at times i don't agree with some of their reviews, I enjoy their articles alot. I have them stacked up in towers next to my toilet. (no, i don't use it to wipe my ....)

ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
So what happens when you miss while you are toileting, then your stack of mags will be....
AlexRadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlexRadu
Member since 2006 • 89 Posts
PC Gamer deffo!
Jalannom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jalannom
Member since 2003 • 315 Posts

I was about to explain but i'll leave it to your imagination

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
I have games for windows, and once in awhile they have excellent articles, and jeff green's column on the back page is always worth reading.  Review scores seem to flutuate pretty wildly and you're better off using GS, they were at the point once when the stopped giving out scores which I thought was pretty smart (just gave the average review score from everybody else), but recently they've gone bad to a scoring system.  Since I don't pay for any of my magazine subscriptions it's hard for me to say it's worth the cover price, but it is one of the few magazines I get that I actually read consistently.
skyjuicerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skyjuicerz
Member since 2005 • 175 Posts
My vote goes to PC gamer, been reading their mags for years now. What makes me like it is the sense of humor from the writers, makes me LOL all the time.
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
Games for Windows has the better magazine, and has for years and years (under a different name).  Yet PC Gamer has the best podcast ... so there you go :P  Get GFW.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
PC gamer. That's the only true PC gaming magazine, and their reviews are pretty much top notch. If they say a game is good it will most likely be good.
guylapierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 guylapierre
Member since 2005 • 697 Posts
PC Gamer. I don't mind the game for windows mag too much but I find their staff highly immature. Listen to their podcast just once and you will get the idea. And, they spend more time talking about console games than pc games - it is annoying.
dendool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dendool
Member since 2005 • 225 Posts
PC gamer
llakallaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 llakallaka
Member since 2006 • 1230 Posts
PC Gamer.... i have a shrine dedicated to that magazine...
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
I have both.  They both seem to have their strength's and weaknesses, but overall I am finding GFW more enjoyable lately.  I like how GFW's reviews deal alot with a game's technical aspects and really hammers games for having lots of bugs and performance issues.