PC boots for a second?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts

I've bought new components for my PC and connected all of them (I think) properly but the problem is whenever I switch on my PC it starts up for just a second and turns off immediately!

The parts are as follows:

1- CPU: i7-860 @ 2.80 GHz.

2- PSU: Cooler-Master 500W.

3- RAM: @1600 MHz, 6G.

4- GPU: GTS 8800.

5- MB: Asus P7P55D.

I checked the wire-connections multiple times but with no luck, if any of you had a similar problem or has a suggestion please post some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

b-u-r-p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 b-u-r-p
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts
Is your ram in the right slots?
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Chances are you just missed the 4/8-pin power connector.

Provides power to the CPU, so it has to be plugged in. The system won't boot unless it is; it will instead do exactly what you're describing.

flyingsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 flyingsnail
Member since 2009 • 793 Posts
Been there on my first build. Check that you don't have any unused standoffs causing a short. The only standoffs that should be installed are those that have a corresponding hole on the mother board.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 abuabed
@b-u-r-p Yes, they are installed in the blue sockets and the last one is installed in the first black one (A not B). @Velocitas8 Nope, they are connected. The system just starts for less than a second without showing anything on monitor. @flyingsnail Checked. ----------- This is confusing me a lot, does anyone have any other suggestion? :(
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 abuabed
Just to clear up things a bit: the system doesn't show anything on screen when I switch it on, as if takes a sip of the power and stops right after and thus I can't get into the BIOS. Also the HDD connected is new, meaning, no OS is installed.
Ravenscythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ravenscythe
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts

Might be a psu problem, what model is it? need more info then cooler master 500w

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Hmm...I assume you double checked and made sure the motherboard power connectors are secure?

Well, it sounds like you've done everything right..meaning you probably have a DOA component. It happens. Now you just need to figure out if it's your PSU or motherboard so that you can RMA it. Odds are it's a bad motherboard. Do you happen to have an old PSU lying around that you can test with?

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 abuabed
@Ravenscythe I'm not sure but it supports voltage version 2.00 or higher which is required to run the MB as stated in the MB manual. @Velocitas8 Unfortunately I don't have one. I guess I'll take it to the market nearby to let them check on the PC. I tried the PSU with a different system and it worked but the other system doesn't need much watts so I can't use its PSU in the new system.
Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
I doubt it's a RAM issue, it could be a faulty component.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts

Have you tried using only one stick of RAM? Time for my story with an issue while assembling my rig. My computer refused to post, rather it would keep booting and restarting constantly (I assumed this because the CPU and GPU fan speeds would cycle). After rearranging my RAM, I could boot the computer, and could only boot the computer if the RAM was not set into a triple channel setup. After some research, I thought perhaps one of the CPU pins on the motherboard was bent. When I took off my heatsink (Scythe Mugen-2 is a pain to get on...) and CPU, I managed to find one bent CPU pin in the towards the middle. I straightened it out, and then everything ran perfectly. So I recommend you remove the CPU, look for anything out of the ordinary, and just put it back on and see if that does anything.

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

Have you tried using only one stick of RAM? Time for my story with an issue while assembling my rig. My computer refused to post, rather it would keep booting and restarting constantly (I assumed this because the CPU and GPU fan speeds would cycle). After rearranging my RAM, I could boot the computer, and could only boot the computer if the RAM was not set into a triple channel setup. After some research, I thought perhaps one of the CPU pins on the motherboard was bent. When I took off my heatsink (Scythe Mugen-2 is a pain to get on...) and CPU, I managed to find one bent CPU pin in the towards the middle. I straightened it out, and then everything ran perfectly. So I recommend you remove the CPU, look for anything out of the ordinary, and just put it back on and see if that does anything.

Luminouslight
When my RAM wasn't seated properly it'd still turn on, but no display, just beeps for a long time, I don't know if you get different problems if the RAM is actually broke, as opposed to not seated correctly. I recommend the cpu solution too, my friend also had a similar problem but with one of the outer pins.
Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts

CPU fan secured properly? If it gets too hot itll shut down or blow up.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 abuabed
Sorry everyone, problem has been solved, it turned out that the motherboard was not properly connected and somehow it won't start up but now everything works like a charm, thanks again, I can't wait to use my new PC :D
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Sorry everyone, problem has been solved, it turned out that the motherboard was not properly connected and somehow it won't start up but now everything works like a charm, thanks again, I can't wait to use my new PC :Dabuabed
Glad you got it solved, but I knew from reading your original post it was short, and yes it was a short that made it shutdown, probably from an extra standoff or something touching the motherboard inaproprietely :o