PAL vs. NTSC on a PC...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tclvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 tclvis
Member since 2004 • 692 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but I searched GS and the net for two hours and came up empty, so I'm hoping someone has a definitive answer for me.

I found an older game I want on Ebay, but it was made in Europe. I know that multimedia, VHS, DVD, and the console games on CDs come in PAL format in Europe, which won't work without an NTSC emulator or some other converter in the US. But do PC games that run on Windows also have a different format? I don't want to shell out for this game and have it shipped across the Atlantic (from UK to US) only to find out I have no way to install or run it.

If there is a different format, does anyone know of any emulator/conversion software that will help me run European/PAL game software in the US? Thanks.

dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts
As far as i know PC games are all the same "region"
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
PC games arn't region specific, as far as I know.
Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Ranger_x8b
Member since 2002 • 5840 Posts
There's no broadcast standard to comply to in the PC world. That's why you have many different resolutions and refresh rates to choose from in PC games.
whgresiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#5 whgresiak
Member since 2005 • 1889 Posts
There are PAL versions of PC Games! I have one. However, it will work on any PC. The basic difference is the rating system and how they show the System Requirements. But as long as it says PC-CD or PC-DVD and you have the appropriate drive it will work on your PC, it won't matter.
johnnyb47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 johnnyb47
Member since 2004 • 408 Posts
PAL and NTSC refer strictly to the framerate of TV sets, NTSC using 30 frames per second, while PAL 25 or 24. There's no reason whatsoever to have PAL and NTSC versions of a PC game. Consoles have such differentiations, as they are built to work with a TV set, not with a computer monitor which lets you choose your own preferred refresh rate.
tclvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 tclvis
Member since 2004 • 692 Posts
Thanks, everybody. I hadn't thought there was, but the advert said "PAL" under "format," which I thought rather odd, but I felt it best to check before paying for transatlantic shipping! I just wonder why it wasn't released here. Oh well. Thanks for the help--you guys are the best!
whgresiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#8 whgresiak
Member since 2005 • 1889 Posts
I just wonder why it wasn't released here. Oh well. Thanks for the help--you guys are the best!tclvis
just curious what game was it?
Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Ranger_x8b
Member since 2002 • 5840 Posts

PAL and NTSC refer strictly to the framerate of TV setsjohnnyb47

Wrong. While they do refer to framerate, they also refer to resolution. NTSC has 480 lines, while PAL has 576 lines

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but I searched GS and the net for two hours and came up empty, so I'm hoping someone has a definitive answer for me.

I found an older game I want on Ebay, but it was made in Europe. I know that multimedia, VHS, DVD, and the console games on CDs come in PAL format in Europe, which won't work without an NTSC emulator or some other converter in the US. But do PC games that run on Windows also have a different format? I don't want to shell out for this game and have it shipped across the Atlantic (from UK to US) only to find out I have no way to install or run it.

If there is a different format, does anyone know of any emulator/conversion software that will help me run European/PAL game software in the US? Thanks.

tclvis

There's no such thing as PAL, NTSC or SECAM on PCs, and no region locks for that matter.

halogaro13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 halogaro13
Member since 2007 • 155 Posts
okey im going to but stalker from the uk will it work in usa yes or no?
halogaro13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 halogaro13
Member since 2007 • 155 Posts
okey im going to but stalker from the uk will it work in usa yes or no?