Over-rated Games which are also unfairly hard.

• 61 results
NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By NewOrder1984
Member since 2017 • 80 Posts

Here are a few unnecessarily difficult games that I remember playing.

XCOM 2

This game got such high review scores. But it is so hard even on a rookie mode, that you will struggle to complete level 3 with enough soldiers to continue to level 4. Cover may or may not work, your shots may or may not hit the target (no matter how close you are to the target, you may miss), infiltration levels limit your move number to 10 and if you happen to be spotted, an army will come to fight you. I could also talk about the wall shooting that is in the game, the mind control, the panicking and reanimations. This game could have been so great if it didnt focus on being so unnecessarily difficult, even at the lowest difficulty level.

ARMA 3

I beat GRAW 1 & 2 and loved them. Hoping to find another great simulator, I bought ARMA 3.. and the result after 30 hours of gamelay?!? disappointment. Enemies would hit you easily from very far away. I was dumbfounded to discover that my team was fully annihilated in the first 5 mins of the first showcase from a terrorist located a mile a way with AK. And enemies inside vehicles are the worst. They would hunt you down no matter how far or difficult it is to get to you. I was a sniper once, sniping from a steep hill, and I remember a tank going after a pursuit at me. Shooting is also bad in this simulator since it takes multiple shots to kill an enemy (even if you have a sniper with you) and if you are behind cover, you better not have your toe sticking out, cause it will receive a bullet! no matter how far the shooting enemy is. Worse than its singleplayer, the multiplayer is unplayable. The spawn is so DISTANT from the objectives/enemies that you will be traveling most of the time by a chopper or other vehicle than shooting at someone.

Monkey Island 2

I tried to like the game and fell in love with its humor. However, it is so hard to look for the right things and deciding what to do with them that you will have to reference frequently to walk through guides. This game is hard and over-rated because of its nonsensical "puzzles". Just look at the first 10 mins of game play of that game :(

Dead Rising 3

This game is over-rated for the scores that it got. I managed to complete it. But nonetheless, the hardest part of the game are non of the missions or the submissions, but travelling between objectives, during which you encounter tens or hundreds of zombies. The game basically sucks as its plot.

StarCraft 2

The game is playable. The issue is the difference between the normal and hard difficulty of the game. If you play on normal difficulty the game isnt challenging, unless you play the last level of wings of liberty. But if you play the game on hard. Expect the game to be extremely hard towards the latter levels. I remember playing a level against the protons that involved protecting some drilling device on hard difficulty. It was so intense and so close to losing.. I felt so relieved after completing the level.The game itself isnt that much better than CoH, Total War: Warhammer and Rise of nations. BTW, Rainbow Six:Siege suffers from the same problem of the right difference between the normal and hard difficulty.

What do you think? what games did you find hard and over-rated?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@neworder1984 said:

Monkey Island 2

I tried to like the game and fell in love with its humor. However, it is so hard to look for the right things and deciding what to do with them that you will have to reference frequently to walk through guides. This game is hard and over-rated because of its nonsensical "puzzles". Just look at the first 10 mins of game play of that game :(

Oh gamers these days have it so easy with the internet.

I had to beat Monkey Island 1-2-3 without any guide since the internet didn't exist back then.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2448 Posts

frogger

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@neworder1984 said:

I beat GRAW 1 & 2 and loved them. Hoping to find another great simulator, I bought ARMA 3..

You consider GRAW 1 & 2 sim? WTF?

Avatar image for gilded_overlord
Gilded_Overlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gilded_Overlord
Member since 2017 • 24 Posts

@neworder1984: Evergrace for ps2 and also Orphen I couldn't get past the first boss which was the first dam scene of the game

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside

@BassMan said:
@neworder1984 said:

I beat GRAW 1 & 2 and loved them. Hoping to find another great simulator, I bought ARMA 3..

The initial ones were a lot more "simulator-like" than the sequels that came after. I think that's what he meant.

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NewOrder1984

@FelipeInside: I remember some game sites like this one categorized it under a sim. Military sim. It is a sim in a futuristic context.. still considered as a sim.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BassMan

@neworder1984 said:

@FelipeInside: I remember some game sites like this one categorized it under a sim. Military sim. It is a sim in a futuristic context.. still considered as a sim.

I gave up on Ghost Recon when I saw that it was becoming dumbed down for consoles. The earlier games in the series were much better.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@BassMan said:
@neworder1984 said:

I gave up on Ghost Recon when I saw that it was becoming dumbed down for consoles. The earlier games in the series were much better.

Advanced Warfighter and Wildlands in co-op is heaps of fun though.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BassMan
@FelipeInside said:
@BassMan said:
@neworder1984 said:

Yeah, I got Wildlands free with my GPU, but I have not played much of it. I did play some co-op in the beta and enjoyed it, but it did not feel very tactical like the old games. It is just a different beast now.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@BassMan said:
@FelipeInside said:
@BassMan said:
@neworder1984 said:

Yeah, I got Wildlands free with my GPU, but I have not played much of it. I did play some co-op in the beta and enjoyed it, but it did not feel very tactical like the old games. It is just a different beast now.

It just lets you go both tactical and full on action Rambo now.

I highly recommend playing Wildlands on HIGHEST difficulty because then it forces you to be tactical and stealthy.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BassMan

@FelipeInside said:
@BassMan said:
@FelipeInside said:
@BassMan said:

It just lets you go both tactical and full on action Rambo now.

I highly recommend playing Wildlands on HIGHEST difficulty because then it forces you to be tactical and stealthy.

The lack of a dedicated first person view hurts it. Also, the drones, enemy indicators, etc. take away from the immersion. There is so much situational awareness given to the player. You don't really fear for your life as there is not much uncertainty. I will try it on hard and see if I can turn off a lot of the indicators and HUD stuff.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FelipeInside

@BassMan said:

The lack of a dedicated first person view hurts it. Also, the drones, enemy indicators, etc. take away form the immersion. There is so much situational awareness given to the player. You don't really fear for your life as there is not much uncertainty.

You can shoot in first person view but Ghost Recon is a third person game now mainly, and playing on hardest difficulty trust me you need it.

I think you can turn off all the enemy indicators and all that if you really want to suffer. And trust me, playing on highest difficulty makes you fear for your life constantly.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

XCOM2, really? It was easier than the first one, never even came close to losing any of my guys and those two are the only turn based games I've ever played.

Maybe you are just bad at gaming?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

@rmpumper said:

XCOM2, really? It was easier than the first one, never even came close to losing any of my guys and those two are the only turn based games I've ever played.

Maybe you are just bad at gaming?

Just because he found XCOM2 hard and you didn't doesn't make him bad at gaming.

Some people are good at particular games and some at others.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

Ghost Recon is pretty ok, it's not the #1 selling game of 2017 for no reason, co-op is a blast.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@BassMan said:
@neworder1984 said:

I was gonna say.........haha.

Original Ghost rRecon.......now we're talkin.

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NewOrder1984

@rmpumper: Are you joking? Have you tried the 3rd infiltration mission on rookie difficulty?

Are you telling me, that the average player would find it easy or normal to pass?

I beat commandos 2 and played full spectrum warrior. Although they arent turned based games but real time, still, through all my frustration, I have never encountered such difficulty.

And a comment about Ghost Recon. They turned the series into a GTA garbage, how pathetic! I want GRAW 3!!

Why cant I have it?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

@neworder1984: I finished both of the games without losing a single soldier and as I said before, those are the only turn based games I've ever played, plus, I have not played any RTS since Warcraft 3 (which I never finished).

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NewOrder1984

@rmpumper: Even without the game difficulty the game is unfair.

An alien can break your good position by possessing one of your soldiers through mind control and killing him or your team mates.

An enemy can also shoot at you from far away and hit you in a sever way even if you are behind cover..

And you can miss easily from close distance, which would result in a loss of your soldier in the next time...

Thats basically terrible..

I dont know how you didnt lose a soldier in the game without cheats or restarting a level hundreds of times.

BTW, I can restart a level many times to beat it, but that BS that makes the game unnecessarily difficult isnt worth my time.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Howmakewood

@neworder1984 said:

@rmpumper: Even without the game difficulty the game is unfair.

An alien can break your good position by possessing one of your soldiers through mind control and killing him or your team mates.

An enemy can also shoot at you from far away and hit you in a sever way even if you are behind cover..

And you can miss easily from close distance, which would result in a loss of your soldier in the next time...

Thats basically terrible..

I dont know how you didnt lose a soldier in the game without cheats or restarting a level hundreds of times.

BTW, I can restart a level many times to beat it, but that BS that makes the game unnecessarily difficult isnt worth my time.

I've beaten Xcom 1 on impossible ironman w/o losing a single soldier, that is on ironman so there's no restarting, this obviously doesn't happen every run but it's more than possible. I've only beaten xcom 2 on commander and legend difficulty so I can't really comment the lower ones, but I can see how the game might be intimidating for new players to the genre

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts
Loading Video...

:<

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@neworder1984 said:

Monkey Island 2

Monkey Island 2 isn't overrated.(maybe only that Monkey Wrench puzzle was stupid) it even had an Easier mode which would made the game much easier.

I beated that game without using any guide and i can say that the second chapter was the hardest chapter.

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NewOrder1984

@howmakewood: How can you not die when an enemy can shoot freely surprisingly into your cover and then into you! from far away and sometimes behind think walls and kill you?!?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Agreed on Arma 3. I tried and tried liking this but due to performance and lake of tutorials and like you say getting killed by enemy's 5000 miles away is kind of stupid. I noticed a lot of Germans like this for some reason.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Howmakewood

@neworder1984 said:

@howmakewood: How can you not die when an enemy can shoot freely surprisingly into your cover and then into you! from far away and sometimes behind think walls and kill you?!?

Well that's the thing, on impossible/legend you aim to play so that the enemy never gets to shoot your, because especially early game they will most like hit and oneshot you, this requires a bit deeper knowledge of the game mechanics and clever use of positioning and explosives or you have to stack the odds heavily in your favor if a shot at you is bound to happen. There's plenty of impossible/legend playthroughs on youtube if you want to see how it's mostly done

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NewOrder1984

@howmakewood: I realized what I did wrong. I enabled a 'Long War 2' mod.. This is why I was facing an army of soldiers at each level.

Now I installed it again, and I play like an expert :)

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Howmakewood

@neworder1984 said:

@howmakewood: I realized what I did wrong. I enabled a 'Long War 2' mod.. This is why I was facing an army of soldiers at each level.

Now I installed it again, and I play like an expert :)

Yeh Long War is a totally different beast and it's mainly aimed at more seasoned players rather than new to the series

The mods approach if different to the vanilla game, you are expected to lose soldiers and not beat every mission

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NewOrder1984

@howmakewood: The game plays well at commander level.

May be I after I beat the game, I will play on legend with ironman enabled.

Luckily I opened this thread and discovered what the problem with the game's difficulty was.

It is a good game overall.

Would have been great, if it had no issues with weird misses and strange breakable cover (such as the one on the roofs).

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

None of those games you listed are hard. I was about to say a bunch of NES games, but if you have trouble with those 4 games (Dead Rising 3??? REALLY???) then you have no chance at the ones I was going to name.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@RossRichard said:

None of those games you listed are hard. I was about to say a bunch of NES games, but if you have trouble with those 4 games (Dead Rising 3??? REALLY???) then you have no chance at the ones I was going to name.

Was going to say the same thing, new games, actually after 2004 or so are just hand-holding simulator.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@neworder1984: XCOM 2 difficult?

Maybe kinda tedious if you're save scumming on ironman, but not difficult.

WadeDMcGinnis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WadeDMcGinnis
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

I think the thing that is missing from the title is games YOU found over-rated or overly difficult. If the @neworder1984 found those to be rather tedious or hard (not challenging like some have mention) then to each their own.

I would say mine is Ecco (never played as a kid, currently playing the series now) and Battletoads. I still hate that level where you have to rappel down the cavern. Ugh......Something more recent. Hmm. Gonna have to say Dead by Daylight. The reason is it's a broken buggy game that gives advantage to those that play more often with un-godly abilities to smite first timers. I am all for skill but not game changing abilities in a multiplayer.

:)

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NewOrder1984

@appariti0n said:

I am playing Ironman on Rookie. It gets hard towards the latter levels. For example, the level of blowing up the facility. You must sneak in to the facility and place the C4. It is very hard to fight all enemies. You also need to know the strategic part of the game. What facilities to build and how to save supplies. I used a cheat to give me a million of supplies :).. hate being restricted!

@wadedmcginnis said:

I think the thing that is missing from the title is games YOU found over-rated or overly difficult. If the @neworder1984 found those to be rather tedious or hard (not challenging like some have mention) then to each their own.

I would say mine is Ecco (never played as a kid, currently playing the series now) and Battletoads. I still hate that level where you have to rappel down the cavern. Ugh......Something more recent. Hmm. Gonna have to say Dead by Daylight. The reason is it's a broken buggy game that gives advantage to those that play more often with un-godly abilities to smite first timers. I am all for skill but not game changing abilities in a multiplayer.

Add Prince of Persia (original on pc) and Double Dragon (NES) to your list.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@neworder1984 said:

Monkey Island 2

Oh gamers these days have it so easy with the internet.

I had to beat Monkey Island 1-2-3 without any guide since the internet didn't exist back then.

I read the list and immediately thought "Man, this kid just doesn't understand..."

And yeah, same. Without the internet. In the snow. Uphill...both ways!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

A ton of 6th and 7th gen games are tough. I think it was the second Price of Persia game on PS2, Warrior Within. It was not Linear at all, and I played on hardest difficulty, the very first boss like not even 10 minutes in took me like 3-4 tries, almost considered restarting, but felt it was a great challenge. Only to get to the "Center", and there is like 4 passages that you go down, and you have to split beteween present and past, and it was so difficult to even know what to do. I'm one to take a hard challenge, but good lord, there was about I followed a guide step by step for like 2-3 hours of gameplay not cause I wanted to, but I had to....well I could have tried, but I knew a time killer when I see one. But yes, this is type of game I have no clue how people find their way around.

Also Fire Emblem Awakening was tough as shit, especially if you would restart everytime someone dies, or if you don't restart if someone dies. I should have finished in like 80 hours, and I'm about double that, and haven't finished the main game.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GTR12

@wadedmcginnis: DONT EVER SAY Ecco again, that game gave me nightmares as a kid.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Lower difficulty - simple as that, I wish I could lower the difficulty on The Surge :P

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NewOrder1984

Omg, I just got the gist of playing XCOM 2. I started the campaign all over..

I am addicted to it!

WadeDMcGinnis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WadeDMcGinnis
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

@neworder1984 said:
@appariti0n said:

I am playing Ironman on Rookie. It gets hard towards the latter levels. For example, the level of blowing up the facility. You must sneak in to the facility and place the C4. It is very hard to fight all enemies. You also need to know the strategic part of the game. What facilities to build and how to save supplies. I used a cheat to give me a million of supplies :).. hate being restricted!

@wadedmcginnis said:

Add Prince of Persia (original on pc) and Double Dragon (NES) to your list.

Never played the original Prince of Persia and only really watch that really cheesy movie of Double Dragon hah.

@GTR12 said:

@wadedmcginnis: DONT EVER SAY Ecco again, that game gave me nightmares as a kid.

The first game had me screaming, yelling, and otherwise throwing an adult fit. Don't get why people love it but screw the first game. The second, ugh. Whoever thought that jumping through hoops to get to another level was a great idea should have been punished.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By appariti0n

@mrbojangles25: I want to see some of the younger generation try to tackle Solstice/Equinox, or maybe Out of this World.

"Hey, where's my quest objective marker??"

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mrbojangles25

@appariti0n said:

@mrbojangles25: I want to see some of the younger generation try to tackle Solstice/Equinox, or maybe Out of this World.

"Hey, where's my quest objective marker??"

"You mean I have to get out my map and navigate?"

followed by...

"what's a map?" and soon followed by...

"how do I use one without Google Maps?"

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mrbojangles25

@neworder1984 said:

Omg, I just got the gist of playing XCOM 2. I started the campaign all over..

I am addicted to it!

Right!?! It's pretty awesome once you "get it"

at first you're like huh? Then you're like wait a minute. Then you're like OH I GET IT!!!

But still...sometimes XCOM can be a bit silly, you're not entirely wrong

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NewOrder1984

@mrbojangles25: It plays best at 'Veteran' difficulty with Ironman disabled.

By playing on that mode, you avoid many of the weird misses and the super-powerful enemies that surprise you at random levels.

I

It is a good and addictive game overall. It deserves the scores, it got!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GTR12

@neworder1984 said:

@mrbojangles25: It plays best at 'Veteran' difficulty with Ironman disabled.

By playing on that mode, you avoid many of the weird misses and the super-powerful enemies that surprise you at random levels.

I

It is a good and addictive game overall. It deserves the scores, it got!

So what's to say that the other games that you mentioned also aren't easy, but you just suck at them or turned on a ridiculously hard mod?

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NewOrder1984

@GTR12: Are you familiar with the difficulty issues that I mentioned. Have you played ARMA 3, for example?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 appariti0n

@mrbojangles25: LOL love the Naked Gun.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GTR12

@neworder1984 said:

@GTR12: Are you familiar with the difficulty issues that I mentioned. Have you played ARMA 3, for example?

They aren't issues, you just turned on something meant for veterans and complained.

ARMA 3 is a simulator, its not CoD, where you spawn 20 metres from an enemy and shoot them, it requires real tactics.

The other games you mentioned are a joke compared to other games mentioned here.

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NewOrder1984

@GTR12: I beat GRAW 1 & 2. What games have you beat?

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

X-Com...I mean thats just X-Com, man!

Seriously...yeah, thats just how it is. I dunno how XCom2 is played, in fact I've never really played XCom coz i'm so damn busy all the time.

However I played the originals to hell and back and they were BRUTAL. I mean imagine losing your entire squad, people you painstakingly levelled up, all in a single turn LOL there was one time, one of my trooper stepped out of the dropship and then BOOM. That flying alien rocket that exploded the entire screen (or almost).

You can certainly argue thats bad game design, honest...

..but thats just XCom man!