Optical or laser mouse better for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lotuselisefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lotuselisefan
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

I am on the hunt for a new gaming mouseand not sure wether a optical mouse (such as the Logitech mx518) or a laser mouse (such as the a4tech x-750f and the logitech g5) btter for gaming?

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

I believe infrared is the best - but to be honest, the difference between all three is pretty much negligible. Pick a mouse that's comfortable in your hand, that's one of the most important features in a mouse. The best tracking in the world isn't going to fix a hand cramp.
lotuselisefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lotuselisefan
Well i got small hands and the a4tech is the samllest and supposed to be the best for comfort (from what i have heard).Its probably going to be the Logitech mx518 or a4tech x-750.
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
There's no hard rule for comfort. Some people can't stand the feel of ergonomic mice like the G5 or MX518 (usually those with smaller hands or mouse grips that don't involve resting the palm on the mouse), while others just can't come to grips with smaller ones. It's all about how you feel when you hold the mouse. Head over to your local computer/tech store and play around with a few models they have on display. That way you can at least get an idea of what sort of shape, button placement, weight, etc. you prefer.
lotuselisefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lotuselisefan
Ok Thanks:D !
1Lonehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 1Lonehawk
Member since 2005 • 873 Posts

I believe infrared is the best - but to be honest, the difference between all three is pretty much negligible. Pick a mouse that's comfortable in your hand, that's one of the most important features in a mouse. The best tracking in the world isn't going to fix a hand cramp.RayvinAzn

The part about comfort is absolutely correct imho. But the part about no difference between laser and optical is way off. Laser mice, speaking purely on performance capability here, have dpi and scan freq. that are off the scale compared to optical mice. I'm not sure about scan freq. but you just can't get the dpi rez from an optical mouse that you can from a laser mouse.

Now for gaming, this may not matter much. I have a laser mouse because it just rocks for micro/precision based movement in my graphics programs, but it sure has the added benefit of being a fantastic gaming mouse.

Just my 2 cents worth.

crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts

For the most part, lasers are ok, if using low sens they will skip, and are known for negative accel. That said, for higher sens or games such as RTS, RPG, and other games of that sort its a perfect mouse.

Comfortness plays a important role too, but it depends on your style, if you play fast paced FPS with low sens stick to an optical, they do the job well and have had no complaints compared to laser with low sens.

Also some laser mice have a problem with tracking on certain surfaces so this can be a major problem.

Pick your mouse wisely and for comfort and style.

arruu2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 arruu2000
Member since 2005 • 128 Posts

I say Optical mice are the best. Its precission and smoothness are just as good as the laser ones, you won´t notice the difference. Although, there is ONE thing you will notice with a laser one: Even if you lift your mouse off the table, it still moves the pointer!! That is, to me, an extremely bad thing because I use to raise the mouse sometimes in FPS and other games, just to center the cursor on the screen again... You just cannot do that with a laser mouse.

So, if you like to raise your mouse from time to time to get a better position or to center the cursor or whatever... DON´T GET A LASER MOUSE.

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

I say Optical mice are the best. Its precission and smoothness are just as good as the laser ones, you won´t notice the difference. Although, there is ONE thing you will notice with a laser one: Even if you lift your mouse off the table, it still moves the pointer!! That is, to me, an extremely bad thing because I use to raise the mouse sometimes in FPS and other games, just to center the cursor on the screen again... You just cannot do that with a laser mouse.

So, if you like to raise your mouse from time to time to get a better position or to center the cursor or whatever... DON´T GET A LASER MOUSE.

arruu2000

I do that with mine all the time. You must have a bad mouse.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="arruu2000"]

middle-earth88

I do that with mine all the time. You must have a bad mouse.

This I have a razer lachesis which is an awesome mouse and i lift off my mouse all the time when using it and no issues what so ever the left off height. At which the lachesis tracks movement is very low you have to left it just barely for it to track although guess some people lift there mouse like that but to me i have to try pretty damn hard to actually get it do that its a precision task getting the mouse to just hover over my mouse pad in a way that it tracks.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I don't mean to turn this into a recommendation thread, but can anyone give any feedback for Logitech G9/G9X mouse? I'm planning to buy the Logitech G9X because it's $40 cheaper than the original G9, although they're basically the same. Sorry TC! Didn't mean to hijack! My Razer Copperhead is going bonkers again!

I am also looking at, Razer Deathadder and Steelseries.

simplyderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 simplyderp
Member since 2009 • 266 Posts

Go with the mouse that is most comfortable in your hand and has the funcionality you want (convenient buttons, DPI adjustment, etc). It doesn't matter if the mouse is optical or laser. Some mice perform better than others regardless of this. When judging mice, ignore the insane DPI of laser mice. You will not need 6000 DPI on a 1920x1200 res screen - that means you move your mouse 1/3 of an inch to traverse horizontallly through the whole screen.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Elann2008

Go with the mouse that is most comfortable in your hand and has the funcionality you want (convenient buttons, DPI adjustment, etc). It doesn't matter if the mouse is optical or laser. Some mice perform better than others regardless of this. When judging mice, ignore the insane DPI of laser mice. You will not need 6000 DPI on a 1920x1200 res screen - that means you move your mouse 1/3 of an inch to traverse horizontallly through the whole screen.

simplyderp
True, 2000 dpi should suffice, and like you said, as long as it's comfortable. Too bad, it's impossible to try out all of the mouse(s) that we're interested in buying. Reading customer reviews is better than nothing, but we all have different shaped hands and hand-size. I prefer not to use the flat, no curve to palm mouses... and that's probably why I'm shopping for a new mouse.
Timbury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Timbury
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts

Just purchased the Steelseries XAI HD Gaming Mouse myself should be arriving in a couple of days. Cant wait to use it as it will be my first gaming mouse usedplain OEM till now.

adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 adam0926
Member since 2006 • 5064 Posts

Laser. . . I'm still using my Logitech Revolution i'm on my second one, best mouse I ever brought its so comfy and thats the first thing i look for get getting a mouse.

bluemustang16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bluemustang16
Member since 2005 • 283 Posts

The one thing I noticed switching from optical to laser is that laser is so much more precise then my old optical I had to have the DPI a lot higher in order to perform a quick 180, but I got used to that in time.

I don't mean to turn this into a recommendation thread, but can anyone give any feedback for Logitech G9/G9X mouse? I'm planning to buy the Logitech G9X because it's $40 cheaper than the original G9, although they're basically the same. Sorry TC! Didn't mean to hijack! My Razer Copperhead is going bonkers again!

Elann2008

I use the G9X and the only issue I have is the pressure point the cord creates when moving the mouse far left/right, but that's the case with any corded mouse and not too big of an issue. All in all I love it.

arruu2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 arruu2000
Member since 2005 • 128 Posts

Are you sure about that? Maybe i should be more precise in my description. With my laser mouse, if i lift it 1 cm. off the table i still CAN move the pointer.

While gaming, i dont even lift my mouse 1 cm. maybe it will be like 0.5 or less, you know.

With and optical (infrared) mouse, if you lift it 0.5cm you DON´T move the pointer. That is good!

So... were we talking about the same issue?

´Cos maybe my laser mouse IS broken or smth after all and i was getting a wrong impression.

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

Are you sure about that? Maybe i should be more precise in my description. With my laser mouse, if i lift it 1 cm. off the table i still CAN move the pointer.

While gaming, i dont even lift my mouse 1 cm. maybe it will be like 0.5 or less, you know.

With and optical (infrared) mouse, if you lift it 0.5cm you DON´T move the pointer. That is good!

So... were we talking about the same issue?

´Cos maybe my laser mouse IS broken or smth after all and i was getting a wrong impression.

arruu2000

I lift mine like 0.2 and no tracking.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

In my experience, laser mice are the best. However, it's important that you use a mouse that feels good!

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elann2008

The one thing I noticed switching from optical to laser is that laser is so much more precise then my old optical I had to have the DPI a lot higher in order to perform a quick 180, but I got used to that in time.

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

bluemustang16

I use the G9X and the only issue I have is the pressure point the cord creates when moving the mouse far left/right, but that's the case with any corded mouse and not too big of an issue. All in all I love it.

Very true. I've read over 100+ user reviews (yes, I really did! I'm OCD), and several mentioned that the corded mouse sends feedback when it's "gliding" on the edge of the desk or keyboard tray. I hate to be a negative nancy but that was one of the main reasons why I didn't buy it. Stuff like that drive me crazy. :(

Dont get me wrong, I love the features that the G9X provides but I'm a palm-rest gamer and I don't claw the mouse. I have long fingers so I think a Razer is more for me. It all really depends on the user. I've used the Diamondback first edition for years playing WOW and other games.. and then the Copperhead for several months but it's not a very reliable model, at least not for me.. I ended buying the Deathadder and it's on the way.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Opticals don't work on a lot of surfaces that lasers do, usually very dark, surfaces do not work with optical mice.

I use laser, I have used optical, they both are fine, I can play with either one. Just don't go getting a rubber ball mouse lol.