Opinions on building a computer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

remlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 remlap
Member since 2003 • 458 Posts

Hey guys. I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not but I'm going to anyways haha. So I am losing my current laptop in about a month because I need to give it back to my school, so I decided to get a new one. I like the idea of portable gaming and such, so I decided to buy a Dell Studio XPS 16. BIG mistake, let me tell ya haha. Had some severe network connectivity issues with my home wireless network when none of my other computers did, so I called them and am getting my $1400 refunded.

With all that said, I've been thinking about it more, and have considered more and more that I might build myself a desktop for about a grand or so, and then get an ultra cheap laptop when my second course resumes in the fall again. Either that, or spend all $1400 on a desktop.

I have a friend who has built computers for himself before, so thats not a problem. I'm just curious as to what stuff I should put into it? I'm pretty much only going to buy Intel, as AMD has clearly dropped the ball just based on looking at benchmarkings of various processors. I've looked at the i7 pretty heavily, and it sure looks a hell of a lot faster than even the Quad Cores, but it is kind of costly right now. And I know that the place where your going to lose graphics in games is the GPU rather than the processor, but I think I'd rather have a better, more upgradable processor, and skimp on the GPU right now, because as is my understanding, its a lot easier to just plug a new GPU in instead of upgrading the CPU and Mobo and such.

Any opinions?

slayerpker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 slayerpker
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts

I know someone who has a sager np5793 and is extremely happy with it. http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=51114

Its a core 2 duo, but there is also the next generation that runs a core 2 quad.... http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=129131

These are both notebooks so you know...

footballa27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 footballa27
Member since 2006 • 1109 Posts

i would say get an EVGA card that says GT on it. those are one of the cheapest, fastest, reliable cards available:D

for my rig(which is posted on my sig), costed me about 1k at the most and its running crysis at full specs with my gfx card(good thing it's superclocked lol)

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Hey guys. I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not but I'm going to anyways haha. So I am losing my current laptop in about a month because I need to give it back to my school, so I decided to get a new one. I like the idea of portable gaming and such, so I decided to buy a Dell Studio XPS 16. BIG mistake, let me tell ya haha. Had some severe network connectivity issues with my home wireless network when none of my other computers did, so I called them and am getting my $1400 refunded.

With all that said, I've been thinking about it more, and have considered more and more that I might build myself a desktop for about a grand or so, and then get an ultra cheap laptop when my second course resumes in the fall again. Either that, or spend all $1400 on a desktop.

I have a friend who has built computers for himself before, so thats not a problem. I'm just curious as to what stuff I should put into it? I'm pretty much only going to buy Intel, as AMD has clearly dropped the ball just based on looking at benchmarkings of various processors. I've looked at the i7 pretty heavily, and it sure looks a hell of a lot faster than even the Quad Cores, but it is kind of costly right now. And I know that the place where your going to lose graphics in games is the GPU rather than the processor, but I think I'd rather have a better, more upgradable processor, and skimp on the GPU right now, because as is my understanding, its a lot easier to just plug a new GPU in instead of upgrading the CPU and Mobo and such.

Any opinions?

remlap
I think is better to build a 1000 desktop and get a cheap notebook for school (thats what i did) . Besides with 1000 you can build a very good pc based on the i7 platform( just get the i7 920 which cost a bit more than 250) and get a good vga like the 4850 for less than 150 add about 200 for motherboard 80 for 3gb of ram 50 for case and about 80 for psu and 50 for hd and you got yourself a great gaming system for about 900
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

You should look into the Phenom II X4 from AMD/ATI which are some very good preocessors and overclock very well. That's their newer line. If not I would look into the Q9550/Q9650. With that budget you can also go a minimum of GTX260 core 216 / HD48701gb upwards. $1000 budget is pretty good, and if you do go $1400 then that's even better.

remlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 remlap

You should look into the Phenom II X4 from AMD/ATI which are some very good preocessors and overclock very well. That's their newer line. If not I would look into the Q9550/Q9650. With that budget you can also go a minimum of GTX260 core 216 / HD48701gb upwards. $1000 budget is pretty good, and if you do go $1400 then that's even better.

lundy86_4

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will definately look into all of these options. I had another question though. Do you think it's better to spend more on a CPU now, rather than a GPU? Like say, shell out the extra money for the i7 + mobo, and then just throw a cheaper card in for now? My train of thought is that it will be a lot easier to upgrade 2-3 years from now when all I have to do is throw in a new GPU, rather than replace the whole mobo and such.

EDIT: Lundy.. I just looked at prices for the Q9550/9650 at my local Memory Express (easiest place to get computer parts from where I live), and they actually run for right around the same price as the i7. The 9550 saves me about 50 bucks, and the 9650 actually costs about 40 bucks more.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
I just looked at prices for the Q9550/9650 at my local Memory Express (easiest place to get computer parts from where I live), and they actually run for right around the same price as the i7. The 9550 saves me about 50 bucks, and the 9650 actually costs about 40 bucks more.remlap
It's not so much the cost of the processor as it is the cost of the motherboards and DDR3 RAM. Still, I do think that a powerful platform now may very well pay off in the future. If you want a Core i7 setup though, you can probably kiss that whole $1400 goodbye, especially if you need a monitor, speakers/headphones, and other external components as well as the rig itself.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

I would go with the i7 and a cheaper card now... say a 4830/4850. That way it's a lot cheaper and easier later to update.

i7 is not needed right now, but if you have the budget, then you may aswell go with it, it'll lengthen the life of your rig

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

It will lenghtend the Life of your Rig specialy if it support the 32nm Westmere 6 core + 2 Thread processor EAch Becomine Core i7 12 Core instead of 8 Core and Offering Better ghz From Base as Whell as Shrink + more core. that what i heard at last which mean higher L2 cache as well

I don't know how much will be Different From Core i7 Bloomfield 920 2.6GHZ VS like Core i7 Westmere (gulftown) 2.9GHZ in 2010 Q1 neither i don't know it price . i know it will just be better hopefully it cost around 300-400$ for Lowest Core i7 Westmere and Give better Performances then Core i7 975 once you overclock the Westmere : tough by then it possibe core i7 Bloomfield get is Core i7 995 Extreme lol

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/6 (Cryisis)
Here What give a Core i7 920 at 4.0GHZ + 280GTX Driver Of Nvidia 6th november 2008 + 3x2GB At 1600mhz (on core i7 920 at 4.0GHZ)
They used a ThermalRight 1336 RS as Cpu Cooler Or 120 Extreme + A LGA 1336 Mount for Put it on it

While here a Review of core I7 965 at 3.6GHZ + 295GTX
It as 7 Game Test so it a pretty huge Review
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=807&p=5 (Cryisis Warhead All Processor Comparison)
http://www.legionhardware.com/Bench/CPU_Scaling_With_The_GeForce_GTX_295/CWH.png
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=807&p=9 (Fallout 3 All Processor Comparison)

Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sentinel672002
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts

I would go with the i7 and a cheaper card now... say a 4830/4850. That way it's a lot cheaper and easier later to update.

i7 is not needed right now, but if you have the budget, then you may aswell go with it, it'll lengthen the life of your rig

lundy86_4

This^

stormfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 stormfuzz
Member since 2006 • 75 Posts

yea why not get the q9550 or q9650? even though the core i7 is good, you can save yourself some money by going with a phenom 2 or core 2 quad as they have just got price cuts on them. and ddr3 might not be worth it at the moment.

Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sentinel672002
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts

Penryn is great chip, but the 775 platform is in it's last days. The upgrade path is iffy.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts

Penryn is great chip, but the 775 platform is in it's last days. The upgrade path is iffy.

Sentinel672002
Yeah, if I had better video cards, I would've gone with LGA 1366. It would've only been $200 more for an i7 920 setup and 1800MHz DDR3 RAM. But I opted for a Wolfdale CPU, 750i FTW motherboard, and 1066MHz DDR2 RAM. I'm not upgrading my video cards until DX11 and Vienna....
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RayvinAzn

yea why not get the q9550 or q9650? even though the core i7 is good, you can save yourself some money by going with a phenom 2 or core 2 quad as they have just got price cuts on them. and ddr3 might not be worth it at the moment.

stormfuzz
I remember this tune, it's been sung a thousand times by people who look at a few benchmarks now and don't extrapolate anything that might be an upcoming trend. The new standard WILL be DDR3. Intel is DONE with LGA775. Those are facts - the Q9550 is a decent chip, but I'd only get it if you've already got an LGA775 setup. Otherwise, you're buying the last legs of a long-standing platform.
marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

that True and according benchmark half of the game a Q9650 at 4.0GHZ VS A E8600 4.0GHZ guess what ? they on pair !!
unless you get a Q9650 4.0GHZ on non Quad Optimized game + TWo 295GTx / Two 4870x2 in a Fight Of FPS TO see which win a Q9650 at 4.0GHZ Or E8600 4.0GHZ ? would it get on pair ? if it does what happen ? oh snap you just get ur E8600 to 4.5GHZ TADAH! OVERKILL!

Auraknight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Auraknight1
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts
[QUOTE="stormfuzz"]

RayvinAzn
I remember this tune, it's been sung a thousand times by people who look at a few benchmarks now and don't extrapolate anything that might be an upcoming trend. The new standard WILL be DDR3. Intel is DONE with LGA775. Those are facts - the Q9550 is a decent chip, but I'd only get it if you've already got an LGA775 setup. Otherwise, you're buying the last legs of a long-standing platform.

So you would definitely say if your building a new rig from the ground up get an i7 setup or go phenom2 so you'll have room to upgrade in the future( I'll be building in about 3 week or so and I'm not sure if I should go Q9550 or phenom2 940(maybe even 720, is it a bad Idea?) or just get an i7 and a worse graphics card. What are your thoughts? alot of people seem to respect your opinion here
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -GeordiLaForge-
[QUOTE="RayvinAzn"][QUOTE="stormfuzz"]

Auraknight1

So you would definitely say if your building a new rig from the ground up get an i7 setup or go phenom2 so you'll have room to upgrade in the future( I'll be building in about 3 week or so and I'm not sure if I should go Q9550 or phenom2 940(maybe even 720, is it a bad Idea?) or just get an i7 and a worse graphics card. What are your thoughts? alot of people seem to respect your opinion here

The i7 920 and DDR3 will run about $200 more than an e8400 and DDR2. Go with the i7 and a cheaper video card. You'll probably be wanting a shiny new DX11 video card next year anyway...
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RayvinAzn
[QUOTE="Auraknight1"] So you would definitely say if your building a new rig from the ground up get an i7 setup or go phenom2 so you'll have room to upgrade in the future( I'll be building in about 3 week or so and I'm not sure if I should go Q9550 or phenom2 940(maybe even 720, is it a bad Idea?) or just get an i7 and a worse graphics card. What are your thoughts? alot of people seem to respect your opinion here

If you're going the Phenom II route, I'd definitely stick with the X3 710, or possibly the X3 720, and possibly consider a processor upgrade in about a year. Really though, I'd shoot for Core i7. You could fit it into your budget, and while you'd be sacrificing a bit on the graphics card, you'd still have something more than capable at resolutions of 1680x1080 and below (even up to 1920x1200 in most games). Graphics cards are updated more than any other component in a gaming system, and they have the shortest effective lifespan. Going all-out on a graphics card should only be done if you have a high-end platform to work off of, since it's not generally going to last for more than 2 years (effectively).
remlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 remlap

Wow I really wasn't expecting all the helpful opinions on here. Thanks a bunch guys.

As far as montiors and speakers and such goes, I have older monitors that I can steal from old computers of mine. And we've got spare sets of decent speakers, so the peripherals aren't really an issue. I may want to get a new monitor down the road, but for now these will do me.

And if I'm going to be dropping all this money into a computer, I would prefer to not be "stuck" as far as upgrading goes. If I can keep the same basic computer structure (CPU, Mobo, etc) for say, 3 years and still be able to run the newest games, I will be very pleased.

I can't remember who said it, but if I run the i7 920 with 4-6GB of RAM, and a slightly older card (maybe a 9800 GT or a 3870 or something), I'll still be able to get good performance for current games, without having to get a more advanced card?

EDIT: I guess another question I have is, what brand of RAM should I look into? Would I get better performance from say, 4GB Corsair or Kingston (the only brands I really know if lol) over 6GB of Patriot (brand I've never heard of, but there's a good deal on right now). Basically, quality over quantity? And what brands are good?

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -GeordiLaForge-

Wow I really wasn't expecting all the helpful opinions on here. Thanks a bunch guys.

As far as montiors and speakers and such goes, I have older monitors that I can steal from old computers of mine. And we've got spare sets of decent speakers, so the peripherals aren't really an issue. I may want to get a new monitor down the road, but for now these will do me.

And if I'm going to be dropping all this money into a computer, I would prefer to not be "stuck" as far as upgrading goes. If I can keep the same basic computer structure (CPU, Mobo, etc) for say, 3 years and still be able to run the newest games, I will be very pleased.

I can't remember who said it, but if I run the i7 920 with 4-6GB of RAM, and a slightly older card (maybe a 9800 GT or a 3870 or something), I'll still be able to get good performance for current games, without having to get a more advanced card?

EDIT: I guess another question I have is, what brand of RAM should I look into? Would I get better performance from say, 4GB Corsair or Kingston (the only brands I really know if lol) over 6GB of Patriot (brand I've never heard of, but there's a good deal on right now). Basically, quality over quantity? And what brands are good?

remlap
I use Geil's new Black Dragon 1066 DDR2 RAM. It'll hit super low timings with no heatsinks. And the Dragon heads on each stick have red LED's for eyes... really cool
remlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 remlap

Hmm.. Well I think I'm going to go with the i7. I dont see much point in buying parts that are at the end of their life cycle.

stormfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stormfuzz
Member since 2006 • 75 Posts

If i were you, I would not spend too much on a laptop. The fastest graphics cards for the laptops are the gtx 200 series that were just released. And they are only as powerfull as the 9800gtx+. So they are a full generation behind anything the desktop has to offer. They might be close in ram but the processor on the desktop (corei7) just blows anything the laptops have to offer at this moment.

So basically, you can have an extreme desktop pc or mediocre laptop for the same price. and I would wait for the gtx 275 about to come out next month as it will be about $240 and is about the same performance as the gtx 280.

remlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 remlap

If i were you, I would not spend too much on a laptop. The fastest graphics cards for the laptops are the gtx 200 series that were just released. And they are only as powerfull as the 9800gtx+. So they are a full generation behind anything the desktop has to offer. They might be close in ram but the processor on the desktop (corei7) just blows anything the laptops have to offer at this moment.

So basically, you can have an extreme desktop pc or mediocre laptop for the same price. and I would wait for the gtx 275 about to come out next month as it will be about $240 and is about the same performance as the gtx 280.

stormfuzz

Ya I think that will get me the most bang for my buck for sure.

Auraknight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Auraknight1
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

[QUOTE="Auraknight1"] So you would definitely say if your building a new rig from the ground up get an i7 setup or go phenom2 so you'll have room to upgrade in the future( I'll be building in about 3 week or so and I'm not sure if I should go Q9550 or phenom2 940(maybe even 720, is it a bad Idea?) or just get an i7 and a worse graphics card. What are your thoughts? alot of people seem to respect your opinion hereRayvinAzn
If you're going the Phenom II route, I'd definitely stick with the X3 710, or possibly the X3 720, and possibly consider a processor upgrade in about a year. Really though, I'd shoot for Core i7. You could fit it into your budget, and while you'd be sacrificing a bit on the graphics card, you'd still have something more than capable at resolutions of 1680x1080 and below (even up to 1920x1200 in most games). Graphics cards are updated more than any other component in a gaming system, and they have the shortest effective lifespan. Going all-out on a graphics card should only be done if you have a high-end platform to work off of, since it's not generally going to last for more than 2 years (effectively).

Ok, thanks a lot for the help. So if I go the phenom II route with the X3 710( why do you suggest this over the 720?)( still contemplating whether or not to go with an i7) would it be a better investment to go with an am3 board and ddr3 or am2/am2+ board with ddr2 since it is backwards compatible with the am3 proccesors? Thanks again