Open box graphics card ? (is it worth it).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 560ti
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts
Are open box graphics cards worth it ? (I don't know much about them). My local microcenter has the 7950 twin frozr open box right now for $188 ($203 after tax). I was thinking about buying it since thats a good price but I don't know much about open box items (does it mean it was broken and they fixed or does it mean someone just returned it and they can't sell it new ?). I hear that this card can get 1000-1050mhz core just on stock volts which I would like (especially for the price). If open box isn't bad then I can buy the card and then sell it when 20nm comes out and get majority of my money back on the 7950
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
I'd go for it,just make sure you still have warranty on it
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I'd buy it if they have a warranty. It's probably just someone bought it and it was returned opened or the box was damaged in shipment.
mrmarrero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 mrmarrero
Member since 2007 • 343 Posts

I'd go for it,just make sure you still have warranty on itMonsieurX

Yes. If it still has a warranty you'll be ok. You have to remember; it was returned for some reason. It doesn't have to mean it's defective, but you'll want the option to be able to return it if it is.

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

They wouldn't sell it open box if it is refurbished. With a warranty, I see no problem buying the card.

roulettethedog

Doesn't necessarily need to be refurbished.  Lots of shops take back products when a client wasn't satisfied.  Some return the product to the factory, others sell 'em open boxed with half or even full warranty.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

I shop at microcenter all the time so I know exactly what your referring to. Theres a section of the store dedicated to open box parts and the prices are great (last time I was there they had a MSI Z77-G45 for $60, 7870ghz for $145, 7970boost for $265.....ect).

On the boxes it will have two stickers. One sticker will say "30 day microcenter warrenty" (its usually a red sticker) and the other sticker (usually yellow) will say "full manufactuers warranty"

I've never seen an open box item from microcenter that didn't have those two sticker (and I shop there 2x a month).