This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lezdeppelin1249
lezdeppelin1249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 lezdeppelin1249
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

Anyone els curious on what happened to all the hype about the gaming service Onlive?

PSfanboy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 PSfanboy101
Member since 2008 • 1734 Posts
Onlive is just a Steam dressed up in a shell and its gonna turn to be the phantom 2
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

Onlive is just a Steam dressed up in a shell and its gonna turn to be the phantom 2PSfanboy101
Hardly. Steam just distributes games. Onlive is supposed to run them for you.
If it works out--that'll be great. But some reason that it just can't work, since the hardware toll on this service would be immense.
MMORPGs cover their server costs with monthly fees--I'm sure it takes a lot of the computing power to keep track of where everyone is and what's happening and all that, but all the rendering--the powerful video cards, gigs of RAM that are needed to run high textured/detailed games these days is all done on individual PCs. I would think the individual player load of rendering a game is many more times intensive than the bits moving to and from the server maintaining what the player is doing. So given the costs need to cover (or profit) MMO costs, what kind of costs would be involved in maintaining Onlive?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Anyone els curious on what happened to all the hype about the gaming service Onlive?

lezdeppelin1249
That was all it was, hype. I said it would fail....and it will....
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

The beta is out soon right? We will know how it runs for actual consumers soon enough (though I am almost certain it will fail)... even a fraction of a second delay from the server side to the consumer will make the games unplayable... that coupled with the fact that internet outages mean you can't play...

I don't get where those guys got investment capitol from... there are just so many little things that can make the entire thing fail...

I think once everything is said and done, there will be a lot of people suing (investors) and a lot of people filing bankruptcy (OnLive Devs/Corporate officials)... It won't be pretty...

Cobacel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Cobacel
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

It will fail because i don't see that technologie yet !

Think about it . NO LAG ? it's impossible due to many people having cheaps and slow internet! Those people would slow the network of ONLIVE imediatly !

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts

The beta is out soon right? We will know how it runs for actual consumers soon enough (though I am almost certain it will fail)... even a fraction of a second delay from the server side to the consumer will make the games unplayable... that coupled with the fact that internet outages mean you can't play...

I don't get where those guys got investment capitol from... there are just so many little things that can make the entire thing fail...

I think once everything is said and done, there will be a lot of people suing (investors) and a lot of people filing bankruptcy (OnLive Devs/Corporate officials)... It won't be pretty...

Squeets
lol I highly doubt there will be people suiing investors. Little over exaggerated. But I do think this will fail would be cool if it didn't though.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

lezdeppelin1249
It died, because everyone realised three things. 1) It is just an expensive rental service. 2) It'll probably never even come out. 3) If it DOES come out, and people buy games and what not from it, when it inevitably fails, those people will have lost a lot of money with nothing to show for it.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Squeets

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

blade55555

lol I highly doubt there will be people suiing investors. Little over exaggerated. But I do think this will fail would be cool if it didn't though.

I said the investors WOULD be suing... (the OnLive devs and/or Corporate officials)... and those OnLive guys would be filing bankruptcy?

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blade55555

[QUOTE="blade55555"][QUOTE="Squeets"]

Squeets

I said the investors WOULD be suing... (the OnLive devs and/or Corporate officials)... and those OnLive guys would be filing bankruptcy?

either way I doubt there will be any suing.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
OnLive will suck. It's not possible to do what they were promising..
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
This was what i heard before i stopped listening ........."from the creators of WebTV".....
IMaBIOHAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 IMaBIOHAZARD
Member since 2008 • 1464 Posts

Just read this article. It should tell you everything you need to know.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Squeets

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="blade55555"] lol I highly doubt there will be people suiing investors. Little over exaggerated. But I do think this will fail would be cool if it didn't though.blade55555

So if you invested millions of dollars into OnLive and it failed miserably and you saw no return... you would just ride off loosing millions of dollars and say "That's alright... you guys tried."... I doubt that would be the case...

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

IMaBIOHAZARD
Thanks for the article, that is exactly the stuff I was saying when it was announced and now I have an official source to prove it.
supermeat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 supermeat77
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
the tech problems are too much. don't hold your breath
Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

720p? I dont need to tell you where to shove it.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#19 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
it does not scale, sure they may be able to get acceptable performance and quality for one user, but . Let us see them try a few hundred simultaneously, not to mention a few thousand.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Squeets

IMaBIOHAZARD

That article sums it up nicely...

"The only way OnLive can work:

• 1. OnLive has mastered video compression that outstrips the best that current technologies can achieve by a vast margin. In short, it has outsmarted the smartest compressionists in the world, and not only that, it's doing it in real-time.
  • 2. OnLive's unparalleled grasp of psychophysics means that it has all but eliminated the concept of IP lag during its seven years of "stealth development", succeeding where the best minds in the business have only met with limited success.
  • 3. OnLive has developed a range of affordable PC-compatible super-computers and hardware video encoders that are generations beyond anything on the market at the moment.

"

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside
AND WHO WANTS TO PLAY GAMES at 1280x800 ANYWAY..... (caps)
-D3ATH-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -D3ATH-
Member since 2008 • 615 Posts
AND WHO WANTS TO PLAY GAMES at 1280x800 ANYWAY..... (caps)FelipeInside
That's my laptop max resolution, I wouldn't mind. :D
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]AND WHO WANTS TO PLAY GAMES at 1280x800 ANYWAY..... (caps)-D3ATH-
That's my laptop max resolution, I wouldn't mind. :D

ok ok.... WHO ELSE APART FROM -D3ATH-.....lol
blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blade55555

[QUOTE="blade55555"][QUOTE="Squeets"]

Squeets

So if you invested millions of dollars into OnLive and it failed miserably and you saw no return... you would just ride off loosing millions of dollars and say "That's alright... you guys tried."... I doubt that would be the case...

They wont' be able to sue its their fault for investing in a hopeless case then. They can't sue because it didn't work out the way they hoped. Doesn't work like that.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Squeets

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="blade55555"] either way I doubt there will be any suing. blade55555

They wont' be able to sue its their fault for investing in a hopeless case then. They can't sue because it didn't work out the way they hoped. Doesn't work like that.

Um... investing in a business isn't the same as investing in the stock market... they are two completely different things... How do you think people open restaurants? They get money from banks in the form of loans (the bank is investing money and the person promises to pay it back)... The bank gives them the money and the person signs a contract that says "once we are in business, I will repay the loan with 15% interest over the coarse of 15 years (or some amount of time)..." it is the same thing for small businesses not getting loans from banks... they find investors and sign some contracts... the business says "you give me $100,000 and once we become incorporated, I promise a 200% ROI (Return On Investment) meaning you get $200,000 back..." they shake hands and sign some contracts... failing to return the $200,000 means they breach the contract... and thus they go to court and sue over the money...

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

In reality though with the way fractional reserve banking works...the bank doesn't give you any money when you take out a loan,best con artists ever.