omfg I'm too dumb to understand gwent in W3....

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2449 Posts

....I play one card, and it's automatically my opponent's turn. Then he throws down nine cards and wins the round. How the #$%#% do I play more than one card at a time?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@attirex: Learn the rules.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 attirex

I'm mentally retarded.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

you play one card per turn, some cards have "muster" ability that summons other cards from their deck, if the opponent commits heavy on a round with those decks it's better to just pass on the round rather than fight for it and win the following ones, oh and spy cards are insane in gwent

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 attirex

Ah, got it, thanks. I need to stop playing that guy, then. He keeps using muster cards.

Mariah_mary: you need to stop playing W3.

Me: Maybe?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

I hear ya, man, I swear to god every time I tried to play Gwent in TW3, the game's AI turns off and a professional human someone takes over. I can't win.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 attirex

But somehow gwent now is a standalone game. More proof I'm too dumb to play it.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

@attirex: Are you serious? I've only lost a handful of games in several years and those were all early before I had many cards or knew the rules.

It's a pretty simple game. You can look up the rules in game under the tutorial. There are probably youtube videos that explain it too. It's pretty basic. There are 4 different sides that play slightly differently, but the basic rules are the same.

There are 3 slots for either sword, archer, or siege weapons and you put your basic unit into the respective slot listed on the card. So if you have a soldier with a strength of 6 you put him in the sword category. Then there are special effects like weather that set the strength to all units it a row to 1. So if you put nothing but soldiers down and someone plays a weather card that affects strength you're in trouble. There are also clear weather cards that get rid of the weather card. You could also put units into the archer or siege slot and they won't be affected.

The Monster and one of the other sides has some cards with a muster ability where they play one card and it brings in multiple cards. A lot of times they're weaker so you can still beat them with a couple of yours. There are also special cards that stop them.

Some special cards off the top of my head are one that doubles the strength of all the cards in a row, spy cards that let you draw additional cards from your deck (but count against you) and medic cards that let you bring back cards that you lost before.

As I'm typing this it sounds more complicated than it is. Just practice or watch some online videos and you'll get it pretty soon. You shouldn't run from anyone and should also get all the gwent cards you can find.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

The standalone Gwent is actually pretty good, big improvements over the very simple W3 version

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

@howmakewood: I didn't realize they had a stand alone game. I just downloaded it and got the Witcher 1 for free with it. Looking forward to trying both of them out.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 attirex

@Maxpowers_32:

Thanks for the overview! I've watched a couple of YT vids as well, and think I understand the basics. But right now seems tough finding another n00b NPC who won't crush me.