Older PC games with a somewhat active online community?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts

READ MY POST BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE!

I don't have my PC at the moment...so I am using my parents PC.

Specs are

1.5 ghz Pent 4

9600 Pro

768 MB Ram

I am not a fan of RTS games and not looking for Pay to Play online games.

I am going to reinstall Diablo 2, and currently have Guild Wars on the computer.

I am interested in Strategy games but it seems like the only Strategy games that are popular are RTS.

Thank you.

ChristysXmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ChristysXmas
Member since 2004 • 42 Posts

Battlefield 2 may run fine on your gig at the lowest resolution and graphic settings.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bigmit37

Thank ^^.

Bump

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
Counter Strike 1.6 and Source is still the most popular online game. Link
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
CS 1.6 and CSS will keep you entertained for a LONG time
DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 DarkRecruit
Member since 2005 • 3391 Posts

Battlefield 2 may run fine on your gig at the lowest resolution and graphic settings.

ChristysXmas

Actually I think RAM would be a problem for him.

whgresiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#7 whgresiak
Member since 2005 • 1889 Posts
[QUOTE="ChristysXmas"]

DarkRecruit

No. The game only requires 512MB and he has 768 which is > than 512 so his RAM okay, the rest look okay for lowest settings too. Anyways Diablo 2 still has pretty large fan base, Starcraft and Warcraft 3 would both run on that and theres still plenty of people playing those if you're into RTS. For FPS, CS 1.6 was already mentioned and I think that should cover all your genres. I'll reply again if I think of something else for you.
DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkRecruit
[QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="ChristysXmas"]

whgresiak

No. The game only requires 512MB and he has 768 which is > than 512 so his RAM okay, the rest look okay for lowest settings too. Anyways Diablo 2 still has pretty large fan base, Starcraft and Warcraft 3 would both run on that and theres still plenty of people playing those if you're into RTS. For FPS, CS 1.6 was already mentioned and I think that should cover all your genres. I'll reply again if I think of something else for you.

Ahh no....it sluttered for me 5mins into the game and then at other random points when I had 1 gig of ram. Now when I got 2gigs it never slutters, not even 1 sec into the game.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

:o that PC is almost exactly the same as mine besides that I have a P4 2.7ghz CPU, and you can try Rakion BF V will also run well on your PC

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
[QUOTE="whgresiak"][QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="ChristysXmas"]

DarkRecruit

Ahh no....it sluttered for me 5mins into the game and then at other random points when I had 1 gig of ram. Now when I got 2gigs it never slutters, not even 1 sec into the game.

It's better to have 2 gigs of memory if you play PC games.Even though Battlefield recommends 1GB it really requires 2GB.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I still find it amazing that Soldier of Fortune 2 still has enough of an online community to this day that I can find a game with little effort.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

I would say CSS or Civilization IV.

As for BF2, you need at least 1gb to enjoy that game with little to no stuttering(I have 1.25gb of RAM)

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

I still find it amazing that Soldier of Fortune 2 still has enough of an online community to this day that I can find a game with little effort.

Johnny_Rock
I am never surprised when I see how active the game is because it is so dang fun.:D Soldier of Fortune 2 was going to be my choice too.
DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkRecruit

Here's a screenshot I took right now of BF2 taking up 915MB of RAM 1min into the game, 32vs32 on gulf of omen with minimun proccesses open: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8691/bf2ram1cg0.png

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Counter Strike. Starcraft. Warcraft 3.

Don't get bf2... its been horridly beaten to death by EA patches. You could get PR or PoE, which would be the only reason for me to reinstall bf2. The hitboxes are probably the worst in any FPS to date. The # of glitchers and hackers will just make your scream. It was a great game, but I can't say that anymore. I would also doubt that your computer could run it at all. I had a PCI-E 6600 while I played bf2 and it ran low settings at about 70fps. I doubt anything that weak could run it without overheating.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigmit37

I guess I will look into Soldier of Fortune.

Thanks guys.

Hondo189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hondo189
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts
Will since you don't like RTS's, I would recommend Civilization IV, it should run just fine on your comp and it's turn based. Also if you get Hl2/CSS you will get a good game and tons of great mods adding many extra hours of gameplay.
whgresiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 whgresiak
[QUOTE="whgresiak"][QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="ChristysXmas"]

DarkRecruit

I ran it fine at work with 512mb, 768mb, and 1gb so maybe the rest of your pc just sucks
Darkserpent08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkserpent08
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Ragnarok Online has a friendly environment, and since you dont want to pay to play there is a very good free server that i use that you might enjoy..

its called EUPHRO and the site is http://www.euphrogame.com/

you might want to download KRO first and just use the patch, cause my computer is a bit old too and it wont run the version they have up there

so search KRO download and download the ROsetup and the Sakraysetup and install both, it will be about 2.5 GB total.

fun game, great people, and free... have fun, PM me if you have any questions..

DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkRecruit
[QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="whgresiak"][QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="ChristysXmas"]

whgresiak

I ran it fine at work with 512mb, 768mb, and 1gb so maybe the rest of your pc just sucks

Look at the screenshot I posted 1min into the game. http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8691/bf2ram1cg0.png

What does the rest of my PC have to do with how much RAM BF2 uses?

MrNib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 MrNib
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts

Any Unreal Tournament, Halo PC(also get custom edition for user created maps), Any battlefield game, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and of course Quake 3

Edit: Also even tho you dont meat the requierments, you will still be able to run FEAR Combat(Free multiplayer componet of Fear) just fine as my P3 can run it at 1024x768 on low-medium

BlackStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlackStalker
Member since 2004 • 719 Posts
Starcraft!!!
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="whgresiak"][QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="ChristysXmas"]

Deihmos

It's better to have 2 gigs of memory if you play PC games.Even though Battlefield recommends 1GB it really requires 2GB.

Played BF2 fine on 768RAM

-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts

CS 1.6 and CSS will keep you entertained for a LONG timeToriko42

yep.

whgresiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whgresiak
[QUOTE="whgresiak"][QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="whgresiak"][QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="ChristysXmas"]

DarkRecruit

Look at the screenshot I posted 1min into the game. http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8691/bf2ram1cg0.png

You never said how much Ram it was using until just now, you had originally said it just stuttered, meaning it could have been your CPU, GPU, anything. Like i said I've run it fine at 512mb so i don't know whats wrong with yours, maybe you just had the settings too high for too little RAM.
DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkRecruit
[QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="whgresiak"][QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="whgresiak"][QUOTE="DarkRecruit"][QUOTE="ChristysXmas"]

whgresiak

You never said how much Ram it was using until just now, you had originally said it just stuttered, meaning it could have been your CPU, GPU, anything. Like i said I've run it fine at 512mb so i don't know whats wrong with yours, maybe you just had the settings too high for too little RAM.

I said it stopped sluttering when I upgraded just my ram. I didn't upgrade anything else and it stopped sluttering.

Gamartto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Gamartto
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

Well, I played Bf2 with 512MB of Ram and it sttuters a lot, specially on 32+/64 players maps, but you should be able to play just fine 16/32 players maps. As a side note darkrecruit is right, the game plays fine with 2GB of RAM (zero in-game pauses), but with one gig you can play it just fine (a little bit of sttuter when you load new areas of the map but is playable).

Well, I do recommend you Quake 3 Arena, UT2k3/4, Wolfenstein: Enemy territory or CoD (UO).