ok so my RAM works now....or does it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

goduffgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 goduffgo
Member since 2007 • 154 Posts
installed GB RAM in my laptop ran fine for 24 hours then there has been blue screens etc now its running fine again, what is the matter with it! the RAM works on my laptop and its the right RAM for it so why the random crashes every so often!
Avatar image for ragdollsrock012
ragdollsrock012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 ragdollsrock012
Member since 2007 • 396 Posts

Do you shut it off at night?

goduffgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 goduffgo

Do you shut it off at night?

ragdollsrock012

stand by normally why??

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
make sure you have the correct RAM (right MHZ) make sure you fitted it in well. another common problem with additional ram is the increased heat which can cause blue screens.
goduffgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 goduffgo
cool ta.....like i said its working fine with the RAM in it now its been fine all day so it might be the heat.....any way around it?
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
cool ta.....like i said its working fine with the RAM in it now its been fine all day so it might be the heat.....any way around it?goduffgo
a laptop fan is possible your best option (but i havnt really tried any), try and reduce the amount of programs you run too, e.g. applications which your not using.
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

installed GB RAM in my laptop ran fine for 24 hours then there has been blue screens etc now its running fine again, what is the matter with it! the RAM works on my laptop and its the right RAM for it so why the random crashes every so often!goduffgo

did that happened after installing another RAM? there could be some errors on the new RAM, so check for errors by testing it

that happened to me before. i installed a new RAM and suddenly it crashes often. found out that the new RAM had errors so i returned and got me working one!!!

goduffgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 goduffgo
is itt even humanly possible they have given me 3 faulty RAM in a row? (if u take out the one that wasnt compatable)
juggernaut8419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 juggernaut8419
Member since 2003 • 872 Posts
It is possible but not very likely. Make sure you swap the sticks in and out while you are testing so you get the right one that is faulty.
goduffgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 goduffgo

my laptop only has 1 removable RAM slot i have no idea where the other ram is! but no problems yet so far!

think i just needed to update drivers

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

Did you check to make 100% sure all the same is 100% the same? The laptops original ram is most likly a no-name brand.. I like to make sure I order the exact same product when I get more ram.

Go through my past order history a newegg and find the exact product.

Did you try removing the original stick and running on the new ram?

goduffgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 goduffgo

the original RAM slot is hidden somewere i cant find it any where! it says removable anyways so no idea!

i got 2 blue screans at start up, but laptops working 3rd time so i can live with that i guess, just need to find a webiste i can update my drivers on!? anyone know where??

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

the original RAM slot is hidden somewere i cant find it any where! it says removable anyways so no idea!

i got 2 blue screans at start up, but laptops working 3rd time so i can live with that i guess, just need to find a webiste i can update my drivers on!? anyone know where??

goduffgo

go to the website of your laptop's manufacturer. they have the updated drivers

speed_ballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 speed_ballz
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts
Random BSoDs usually indicate flaky RAM. BSoDs are the result of general protection faults, which are in turn caused by programs not being properly registered in the RAM allocation units. The experts recommend using quality, brand name modules while avoiding generic non-label RAM. Also, check which type of RAM your mainboard/system maker recommends. If you go with the recommended stuff, you will have peace of mind, anyway.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
Run Memtest86+ and leave it running for a couple of hours. http://www.memtest.org/ If you see errors remove the RAM you put in and test it again so that you can double check that it's the RAM you just brought at fault.

Run Cpuz's http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php that will tell you the make and model of your RAM. You don't have to use the same manufacturer but having the same speed and Timings is always a good thing.