***Official Vista Thread*** Keep it here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sithdadco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 sithdadco
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
When you say "not to their full potential", what exactly does tha tmean? Will I miss out graphically? Will it operate slowly?

Bottom line, would it be worth the money to get it now or just wait?
mbrewster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 mbrewster
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
i have a vista but won't install it until either A) i am confident bugs have been worked out and the fixes are easily upgradable for free, B) dx10 compatible graphics cards come down in price.
mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 mikemil828
Member since 2003 • 7024 Posts

When you say "not to their full potential", what exactly does tha tmean? Will I miss out graphically? Will it operate slowly?

sithdadco

I mean that you will have lower framerates, it won't be a slideshow mind, it just that you won't be able to get the framerates you got in XP until this is fixed

mattm025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mattm025
Member since 2003 • 146 Posts
Does anyone know if the Vista Home Premium Academic Upgrade includes the 64 bit version?
kidkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 kidkit
Member since 2005 • 2783 Posts
Does anyone know if the Vista Home Premium Academic Upgrade includes the 64 bit version?mattm025
I'm not sure exactly but there is a 90% chance it does not. You'll need to request the disc, i think they just charge for shipping.
lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts
Im Confused about the Upgrade version which costs less and the non upgrade which costs more I want to know what the differance is because this is really confusing me.
mattm025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 mattm025
Member since 2003 • 146 Posts
The only difference is that for the Upgrade version, you must have 2000/ME/XP installed. If you buy the regular retail version, you don't need to have any of those previous Windows installed.
lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts

Excellent thanks for the help.

dragonmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 dragonmaster64
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
how will vista effect the way u play oblivion i have a intel core 2 duo E6300 1.86GHZ, 2 GIG DDR2 and geforce 7300LE do you think it will perform better on XP or VISTA and how much FPS should i be getting? thanks to those who reply.
dragonmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 dragonmaster64
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
PS i cant upgrade my video card.
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 frost_mourne13
Member since 2006 • 1615 Posts
hm, i just dont like the drm thing vista has, i mean, i dont watch hd movies very often, but i dont like how everything has to be premium ready or w/e or else it wont be HD at all. this is not a big problem, but i think the implications that windows can control the way we view/listen to media is sort of ....not cool.

ps, weirrddd, i was like the first guy to post on page 3 and 4 again. lol...
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
OEM version will be disabled and can never be used again if you change your motherboard. Go M$ go bloody go!
drdrillnfill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#63 drdrillnfill
Member since 2005 • 1756 Posts
need some help.  I finally got Vista Home Premium to install and now for some reason there is no output for sound.  any suggestions.
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Aznsilvrboy
Member since 2002 • 11495 Posts
need some help. I finally got Vista Home Premium to install and now for some reason there is no output for sound. any suggestions.drdrillnfill

You need to install your audio drivers...
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts

OEM version will be disabled and can never be used again if you change your motherboard. Go M$ go bloody go!BounceDK

When this happens you call Microsoft.  They ask how many PC you have it on.  You say one... DONE!

Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts

[QUOTE="BounceDK"]OEM version will be disabled and can never be used again if you change your motherboard. Go M$ go bloody go!Taijiquan

When this happens you call Microsoft. They ask how many PC you have it on. You say one... DONE!

Yup. There was a big stink about that 6 months ago because MS changed their policy on how OEM worked, but in the end they said if you change MBs it would be a matter of calling to re-activate again like you have to do with XP.
Avatar image for Suicide_Guy1337
Suicide_Guy1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Suicide_Guy1337
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Vista is way to overrated. What new things does it really offer? A DRM scheme to further tie our hands behind our backs? I'm excited.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
[QUOTE="Taijiquan"]

[QUOTE="BounceDK"]OEM version will be disabled and can never be used again if you change your motherboard. Go M$ go bloody go!Krall

When this happens you call Microsoft. They ask how many PC you have it on. You say one... DONE!

Yup. There was a big stink about that 6 months ago because MS changed their policy on how OEM worked, but in the end they said if you change MBs it would be a matter of calling to re-activate again like you have to do with XP.

Ahh then it's all good. I'll be getting the OEM then in a few years from now, but only if that new unified Linux OS won't work with games.
cthuludeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 cthuludeath
Is anyone else having problems running Battlefield 2142 on vista?
TalonX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 TalonX
Member since 2002 • 4428 Posts
need some help. I finally got Vista Home Premium to install and now for some reason there is no output for sound. any suggestions.drdrillnfill

What kind of sound card do you have? You probably have to install the sound drivers.
krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 krp008
Member since 2006 • 4341 Posts
Vista includes Windows Media Center, but do i need a WMC PC for this feature to work?
mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 mikemil828
Member since 2003 • 7024 Posts

Is anyone else having problems running Battlefield 2142 on vista?cthuludeath

Nope

Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Taijiquan

Vista is way to overrated. What new things does it really offer? A DRM scheme to further tie our hands behind our backs? I'm excited.Suicide_Guy1337

Its good you are excited!  I am sure your experience using this Vista on your machine has shown you that there is NO software you have, regardless of format, that you can not play!  This is something to be excited about.  If you go back a page or 2 and read some of the things Vista brings to the table it will allow most to take your post more seriously. 

adolfobaja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#74 adolfobaja
Member since 2003 • 677 Posts
hi i have a question im all ready upgrade my windows xp , i get the update version for vista home preimum everything is fine but why always when windows start , a option appears like MSDOS saying wich version i want the old one or vista,,,is normal?
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Taijiquan
wow, thats new to me.  Where are you located? 
adolfobaja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 adolfobaja

Also how you do for the wallpapers can be animated in the conference at International CES thwy show that options

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

Dreamscene was what you saw at CES with the animated waterfall, which is a Windows Ultimate extra....So you have to have the Ultimate edition to use it, however it has been delayed. They are talking about a preview build later this month but the final version won't be available until June or so.

octopus77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 octopus77
Member since 2005 • 53 Posts

is it true that vista always makes u have to give u permission to use almost everything? if so, is there anyway to turn it off? does it block a lot of software or just a few? also, is there anyway to turn off a bunch of the security features like the firewall, and rely on other methods does it not let u do that?

adolfobaja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 adolfobaja
hi i have a question im all ready upgrade my windows xp , i get the update version for vista home preimum everything is fine but why always when windows start , a option appears like MSDOS saying wich version i want the old one or vista,,,is normal?
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 SuperBeast

is it true that vista always makes u have to give u permission to use almost everything? if so, is there anyway to turn it off? does it block a lot of software or just a few? also, is there anyway to turn off a bunch of the security features like the firewall, and rely on other methods does it not let u do that?

octopus77
UAC (User Account Control) is on by default and can be VERY annoying. I believe it only supposed to ask permission for certain tasks your trying to do, but when you first get Vista you're going to get the message a ton while exploring. Luckily it's extremely easy to turn off and on. You can turn off all of the security features if you want to, turning off the firewall in Vista is just as easy as doing it in XP.
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 SuperBeast
hi i have a question im all ready upgrade my windows xp , i get the update version for vista home preimum everything is fine but why always when windows start , a option appears like MSDOS saying wich version i want the old one or vista,,,is normal? adolfobaja

Did you install Vista on a different partition or did you choose the same drive? Sounds like it's trying to dual boot from your last OS..... Are you having any problems with actually running Vista (programs freezing/crashing) or is everything else smooth for you? If you want a quick fix so it doesn't show that message anymore:

• Right click on "Computer" and go to *properties*.
  • Click*advanced system settings*
  • Click "settings" under *startup and recovery*. ...
  • Uncheck the box that says "time to display list of operating system".   (I haven't tested this myself so it may still give the list and just not have a timer...If that's the case try changing the time from 30seconds to 0 or 1 second so you won't even notice it).

Personally I'd recommend just doing a fresh install/format instead of using the upgrade feature... You should be able to throw the disk in while in Windows and start the process over again. This time when it asks which method you use for installation, click on "Custom (advanced)" on the bottom instead of the upgrade option on top. Of course you should backup any personal files/pics ect before you do this.

Hacker10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Hacker10000
Ok I have a couple of questions which I would like to ask about Direct X 10, I have Vista and I'm going to install it when I completely sure about some of these questions and yes I have looked at the FAQs.

1. Does Windows Vista come with Direct X 10 or is it even out yet because I looked at there website and there doesn't seem to be much about Direct X 10?

2. Can Direct X 10 run Direct X 9.0c games?

3. Does your graphics card need to be support Direct X 10 to run it?

These are my System Specifications:-

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 2200MHz Display Card NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT Memory 1024MB Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Free Disk Space 19.04GB Display Card Memory 256MB Display Driver Version 6.14.10.9371 DirectX Version 9.0c Optical Drive CD/DVD Sound Card DMX 6fire Wave
Thanking you in advance Hacker12.
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SuperBeast
[QUOTE="Hacker10000"]Ok I have a couple of questions which I would like to ask about Direct X 10, I have Vista and I'm going to install it when I completely sure about some of these questions and yes I have looked at the FAQs.

1. Does Windows Vista come with Direct X 10 or is it even out yet because I looked at there website and there doesn't seem to be much about Direct X 10?

2. Can Direct X 10 run Direct X 9.0c games?

3. Does your graphics card need to be support Direct X 10 to run it?

These are my System Specifications:-

Vista runs on DX10.... You can still play any supported DX9 games out there (very few are unsupported which could be fixed with patches). You don't need a DX10 card to run Vista....Check the minimum requirements for GPU support... Your system shouldn't have any problem running it
Geggo91811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Geggo91811

sithdadco
Some expert didn't recommend getting Vista, unless you are purchasing a new computer. Then it might be worth having installed.
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Taijiquan

Disabling UAC.

Start, Control Panel, User Accounts and Family Settings, User Accounts, Turn User Account Control On or Off.

Un check *Use User Account to help protect your computer*, then hit OK.  It is quite displeasing that a feature so useful but so annoying will be disabled by most.  Hopefully Microsoft can fix this some how in the future.

Ace_V0rn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Ace_V0rn
Member since 2006 • 433 Posts
So do you that have vi$ta like it? If so as an upgrade or a revoltion? Or are you pissed that you bought it and want your XP back?
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Taijiquan

So do you that have vi$ta like it? If so as an upgrade or a revoltion? Or are you pissed that you bought it and want your XP back?Ace_V0rn

I very much like it.  BTW, it is Vista, not vi$ta.  Its more like an evolution not revolution.  There is so much under the hood we haven't even seen yet.  No way I could go back to XP.     

Ace_V0rn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Ace_V0rn
Member since 2006 • 433 Posts

Hahah, its vista not vi$ta, are you a m$ whore? Jokes of corse but, heh.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#89 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
[QUOTE="Taijiquan"]

[QUOTE="BounceDK"]OEM version will be disabled and can never be used again if you change your motherboard. Go M$ go bloody go!Krall

Has this been verified Krall? I heard on the extremetech podcast, as well as twit.tv that we were no longer able to call for re-activation.
Mickster08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Mickster08
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I have a free upgrade copy of Vista Premium coming from Dell, but before I upgrade, I wanted to know if it is true that my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Card won't be supoorted for my Games or DVD playback, due to the Vista making applications run there audio through software?  I saw where Creative has a Beta version of the driver I need for Vista out, but I didn't know if even with the final one out, there would be a way for them to bypass this and allow my Sound Card to work for these programs. 
guylapierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 guylapierre
Member since 2005 • 697 Posts
If the game is using DirectSound - you are out of luck. DirectSound has been removed from VISTA. Creative has developed Alchemy, a piece of software that intercepts DirectSound calls and converts them to OpenAL. However, this is only supported by the x-fi line of cards.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
How about on-board mobo sound like SoundMax for instance?
adolfobaja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 adolfobaja

i wonder if you can make it woriks the Windows DreamScene option in home premium version

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 SuperBeast

i wonder if you can make it woriks the Windows DreamScene option in home premium version

adolfobaja
It's possible they may sell it to other Vista users for an additional fee (probably $20 or so)..... Although they may just want to keep it exclusive for those of us who bought the Ultimate edition.
adolfobaja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 adolfobaja
[QUOTE="adolfobaja"]

SuperBeast

It's possible they may sell it to other Vista users for an additional fee (probably $20 or so)..... Although they may just want to keep it exclusive for those of us who bought the Ultimate edition.

that sucks

IceAxe18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 IceAxe18
Member since 2003 • 622 Posts

Here is a link (Microsoft's online Help & Support)  to some common questions in activating Windows Vista.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 SuperBeast
i found the option of download DreamScene i think home premium there is a way to download that option

adolfobaja

First of all....That's illegal, it would be considered piracy and talk/links about such things are not allowed on these forums. Second of all, that's not a full build of Dreamscene, it's a leaked alpha.....It doesn't even use the GPU to render the video (takes it out on the cpu, which defeats the purpose).

1337_ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 1337_ownage
Member since 2006 • 1668 Posts
i have a question....

whats the differnce between upgradin and buying the it retail?

how do i upgrade?

is it cheaper?
Avatar image for deactivated-57cd7ac088d47
deactivated-57cd7ac088d47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-57cd7ac088d47
Member since 2006 • 493 Posts
i will get vista when i want my new computer, and why the hell am i 100% at level 20 wtf.