Oddest control setup for FPS with mouse and keyboard?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Loggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Loggins
Member since 2003 • 33 Posts

I beleive that i have one of the strangest control setups for mouse and keyboard i ever heard of....

Now first let me say, that when WASD first became traditional - i had been controlling FPS games with my arrow keys (Doom, Wolfenstein) or mouse (Ultima Underworld) and was used to that. So when i first encountered WASD - Quake i beleive, I thought this was a very bad idea. Not least because i would most likely hit a lot of wrong buttons since WASD is in the middle of a pile of other buttons (have big fingers). Not at all like the neatly secluded arrow keys. So something had to be changed, I thought, and thankfully Quake let me do so. Edit keys! (I wasnt aware Doom had that option at the time)

So ill give you my strange keyboard layout and ill be curious to see yours. But first let me say that even if mine is quite unconventional, i was at the one time at the (guessing) top 1% Team Fortress players and 5% Counter Strike players with clan play and so on. And my brother which i learned to play with the same keyboard layout as me, went on to be at the very edge of the Counter Strike elite with competition gaming and winning prices and staying at the top for many years.

I can very easily see the weakness in my setup but one advantage i found was usually the ability to strafe and jump at high precision and speed. Im now 44 years old and still use the same layout and here it comes - lets hear yours:

Forward - Mouse Button 1

Back - ALT

Left sidestep - Z

Right sidestep -X

Attack - Mouse Button 2

Crouch - C

Jump - SPACE

Reload - D

Use - E

And ill stop there. Theres more but all is adapted to the keyboard layout i use ofcourse.

So how about you guys?

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

That's one odd setup for sure. I'm usually fine with default, I just need the middle mouse button to be melee and I need V to do nothing. I use V in Blacklight Retribution for HRV (the see-through-walls feature) and it became like a reflex for me, no matter what game I play I always press V all the time :shock:.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

That is certainly weird

Loggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Loggins
I agree with both of you but i promise i tried every possible combination - since i was a game nerd - and finally i gave up and landed on this. Nothing is perfect i found but this is best..
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PfizersaurusRex

BTW if LMB is move forward and RMB is shoot then what do you use for ADS?

Loggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Loggins

What is ADS?

If it means alternative attack / zoom weapon it is Mouse 3 and CTRL in some variation.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PfizersaurusRex

What is ADS?Loggins

Aiming down the sight, or iron sights or whatever else it's called, as opposed to firing from the hip. Come to think of it CS doesn't have that but most today's shooters do.

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

Nevermind

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points