OCZ PSUs? Would you buy one?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Roggirek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Roggirek
Member since 2007 • 1103 Posts

Hey everyone,

I was messing around on newegg, spending my summer job money before I even get a job, and I was planning my new rig. I was thinking of going mATX, and I really wanted to go with a modular PSU. The only ones that don't cost a ton extra are the OCZ ones, like THIS. I know its bad to cheap out on a PSU, but how are they really that bad?

stoutlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 stoutlad
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts

I'm running a 750W OCS Xstream or w/e. First one failed after 7-8 months of normal conditions. Not sure if it was a faulty unit or just like every other to come out of the factory. When it died it took my motherboard with it.

HOWEVER, I got lucky since both parts were still under warranty and just had to wait 3 weeks for replacements for both. The new PSU seems to be running fine so far, but beware, if you *ever* start to smell a funky plasticy smell coming from your computer your power supply is likely dying. In this event, don't wait until it dies. Get a new one or a replacement, because it only took me once to learn that having it kill other parts with it is a major pain.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

If the specific model had the features I needed, and the reviews were generally good.. yeah, I'd try an OCZ. I went out on a limb and bought a Rosewill Green Series PSU, and so far it's worked great. I probably wouldn't have done it if I didn't know that this particular series are actually rebranded ABS products, as opposed to the usual Rosewill low-quality fare. I try to go by each individual product, rather than judging a brand as a whole.

Roggirek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Roggirek
Alright, thanks for the quick replies. discipl, thats probably a good policy to avoid "brandism" hah.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I've got one and it's not great, voltages are off quite a lot.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

I had a 500W one which should have been plenty for my system, but it died after about 13 months.

Also bought some bad OCZ memory shortly before that, and their customer support did nothing for me other than suggest more timings and voltages that just didn't work, and then they just ignored my emails.

I replaced all my OCZ stuff with Corsair after that. I will absolutely never buy from OCZ again. Terrible.

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

I've got one and it's not great, voltages are off quite a lot.markop2003

Did you use a multi to check? Software monitors don't give very accurate readings on the voltages.

Roggirek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Roggirek
Hmm. thanks for the added input.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

I bought one. My old computer had a 500w OCZ psu. No problems.