Oblivion is strange!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 f22rf
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts

How come the foes in Oblivion are so though?! I mean you can hardly beat one foe, not speaking of two! which you hardly have a chance! did you ppl have the same exp'? Thanks!

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts
I don't understand what you are talking about. I thought Oblivion was easy. The enemies level up with you so you are always on par with them. However, this also means they are never impossibly tough either. Although my character in that was a mage, which could have had a lot to do with it, but on my second play through I was a pure hand to hand fighter and I didn't really notice a difference in terms of the games difficulty.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58463 Posts

Just remember to use the block button, helps a lot.  Also use power attacks, and you can take a step or two back to avoid a fight or heal yourself.

If youre really having a tough time, go the stealth character route and just sneak around and shoot people with arrows.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
I'm guessing the TC leveled up bunch on non combat skills, resulting in enemies that were out of proportion with what he can actually face.  The trick is to make sure you build your combat skills faster than your non combat skills.  Or even more effective is to build up your non major/minor skills instead, so your enemies won't level up at all.
Sytzepunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#5 Sytzepunk
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts

Just like in Dark Messiah, block is and will be you're only friend in the game.

(that and slaying people for no reason, ofcourse)

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Lower the difficulty.
f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 f22rf
Thanks for the answers. BTW Dark Messiah is one heck of a game!
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
yup lower the difficualty on the menu screen in options i think. 100%fix
xTRIGGER092x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xTRIGGER092x
Member since 2007 • 217 Posts
Um...here's an idea...go to options and tone down the difficulty...
karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts
I find on default difficulty that opponents take a some beating to die so you never really get to the point where you can just kill them with ease (there are some exceptions there though).  If you want an easier time lower the difficulty then you won't be running away that much and can take on multiple guys
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

Thanks for the answers. BTW Dark Messiah is one heck of a game!f22rf

Yeah, I really like this game. It seems most gamers didn't like it. I haven't finished it yet. This game was too hard for me on the first couple of levels so I had to replay it on the easiest difficulty. Now that I'm farther in the game and have increased some combat skills, it seems a bit too easy. Cool game though.

And to the Thread Kreator, there are mods to change the scaled leveling in Oblivion. You may want to check those out or lower the difficulty like the other mangs suggested. Or just stick with it. Some people beat the game without changing the leveling system and they enjoyed it that way. Good luck, mang.

jongaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jongaska
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

Also keep your weapon at 100 points with a repair hammer.The fewer points your weapon has the less damage you will do.Another thing...get some enchanted armor with reflect.I have reflect on three items with 74 points and with most enemies all I have to do is block and they eventually die.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Herrick

Also keep your weapon at 100 points with a repair hammer.The fewer points your weapon has the less damage you will do.Another thing...get some enchanted armor with reflect.I have reflect on three items with 74 points and with most enemies all I have to do is block and they eventually die.
jongaska

That's pretty cool. I didn't know about that enchantment. That would have came in handy. Do you have to go to Mage Guild to get the enchantment or can you lean a spell for it?

Judza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Judza
Member since 2004 • 4637 Posts
Yep, enchantments are granted at the arcane university my good man.
jongaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jongaska
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

[QUOTE="jongaska"]

Herrick

That's pretty cool. I didn't know about that enchantment. That would have came in handy. Do you have to go to Mage Guild to get the enchantment or can you lean a spell for it?

If you want to enchant items yourself you would have to be in the mages guild and have access to the arcane university.What I had was The Ring Of War,The Amulet Of Axes,and The Chorrol Escutecion.I dont remember where I got that equipment but it helped out a lot.Check out gamefaqs.com.Theres all kinds of nerdy people that have written about that game.I also remember about the game when I was on a low level like 3-15 I had a lot of trouble fighting.I was always dying.What I did was I walked all over the map and explored and fought every enemy I could to level up.I used a range of skills also.Sometimes I snuck up on an enemy,sometimes I attacked with a mace then with a sword then a bow and arrow then destruction magic.The more skills you use the faster you will level up.Good Luck.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

Well, you CAN make Oblivion hard.  My thief leveled mainly by his sneak, security, and bow skills leveling.  At level 20 I was completely gimped.  I had the blade skills and armor skills of a level 10 with the bow skill of a level 16.  Cougars and minotaurs beat the snot out of me and I eventually had to give up.

That is an example of how this dynamic leveling system is broken. 

Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts

Well, you CAN make Oblivion hard. My thief leveled mainly by his sneak, security, and bow skills leveling. At level 20 I was completely gimped. I had the blade skills and armor skills of a level 10 with the bow skill of a level 16. Cougars and minotaurs beat the snot out of me and I eventually had to give up.

cametall

That's an example of almost-hardcore RPG style where not everything is candy and gumdrops and no matter what rediculous style of character you pick, 'everyone was made equally, and everything has to be FAIR and lovable and pretty and snuggly' no matter what kind of character you pick

In almost-hardcore style, different characters will provide different characters, and the player has to 'right' to pick any stupid style of character he feels like and still somehow do just as well.

In hardcore style.. There's no saving your game, and if your character dies, he's dead. That's all done, now, though, unless you play D&D :p 

People need to stop complaining about that.. If you don't like the way they made it, and you picked a bad combination, then mod the game into one of those flower+candy games where any character somehow works just as well as any other. 

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Herrick
I see both of your points. It makes sense to me that a Blade skill (or any other skill) should stay low if you hardly use it. I like that aspect of the leveling system. But I think it's silly that animals and lowly bandits level up too. Bandits are supposed to be the lowest human opponents in any game. Bandits and animals aren't out doing quests and learning from trainers to increase their skills, so why should they level up along with the main character?
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts

Thanks for the answers. BTW Dark Messiah is one heck of a game!f22rf

I like DM too. I think Gothic 3 will also be great, but I'm having a few snags with that at the moment.

f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 f22rf
I agree, it does sound stupid
Selrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Selrath
Member since 2005 • 3333 Posts

Im a lvl 20 mage and i find the game quite hard too..

I mean... If i want to kill a ogre or a minotaur, well, almost any monsters. I have to spend whole my mana to kill it. Actually, more than my mana even, i usually have to block and run around and regenerate some of my mana.

Im using the fireball spell that does 25 dmg or something, the game isnt fun when you have to spam it thousands of times just to kill one mob.. 

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

How come the foes in Oblivion are so though?! I mean you can hardly beat one foe, not speaking of two! which you hardly have a chance! did you ppl have the same exp'? Thanks!

f22rf

Oblivion was one of the most easy RPG's I have ever played. 

drazhar2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 drazhar2000
Member since 2005 • 199 Posts
i found that if you have the difficulty between lowest and medium, its purfect!
mottadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mottadude
Member since 2006 • 119 Posts

Oblivion: MY KIND of game! fully responsive hack n slash action, crazy magics, multiple innovative solutions...

all that, plus genre-bustin visuals and eerie sound bits ...

Dark Messiah was also (but not nearly as) good, i played it, till i got stuck in them darn spider caves, 

started feeling clausterphobic vertigo waves and gave up in the meantime.... any suggestions? the DM effort all

has a half baked feeling.. its just too bad, a lot of talent went into its production.. 

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
I suggest you just download a mod which gets rid of the awfull scaling, much more fun that way.
emmm78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 emmm78
Member since 2005 • 282 Posts
Try a custom class with tank style major skills... after a while ur gonna increase difficulty.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
[QUOTE="cametall"]

Well, you CAN make Oblivion hard. My thief leveled mainly by his sneak, security, and bow skills leveling. At level 20 I was completely gimped. I had the blade skills and armor skills of a level 10 with the bow skill of a level 16. Cougars and minotaurs beat the snot out of me and I eventually had to give up.

Dracunos

That's an example of almost-hardcore RPG style where not everything is candy and gumdrops and no matter what rediculous style of character you pick, 'everyone was made equally, and everything has to be FAIR and lovable and pretty and snuggly' no matter what kind of character you pick

In almost-hardcore style, different characters will provide different characters, and the player has to 'right' to pick any stupid style of character he feels like and still somehow do just as well.

In hardcore style.. There's no saving your game, and if your character dies, he's dead. That's all done, now, though, unless you play D&D :p

People need to stop complaining about that.. If you don't like the way they made it, and you picked a bad combination, then mod the game into one of those flower+candy games where any character somehow works just as well as any other.

Except that in a "hardcore" RPG, you'd have a way to avoid combat by using your skills and talent.

f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 f22rf
Well, seems I've been playing on hard for the whole time. I lowerd it to normal so it's good now, much better
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts
[QUOTE="Dracunos"][QUOTE="cametall"]

Alaris83

Except that in a "hardcore" RPG, you'd have a way to avoid combat by using your skills and talent.

Well, if you're a mage.. Or a thief.. You can pretty much sneak by a lot of stuff, or cast invisibility and just.. run past everything.. And none of their reasons in which certain quests require you to kill things are unreasonable.. They don't say.. 'Grab the thingy at the end of the tunnel' and make you kill all the creatures there 'just 'cause'. Usually a creature is holding it, or the actual quest is to kill a specific thing.

I'm sure they could have made it better, but Oblivion isn't that good of an RPG to do that, I guess :p But it's style is still what I would consider hardcore RPG style, at least to the affect that you don't get to 'win' the game no matter what type of character you choose to pick. 

Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
Lower the difficulty.RK-Mara