Oblivion: GOTY Prevents Disc Burning Software! WHAT AN OUTRAGE!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
So my Oblivion: GOTY game wouldn't install. It kept saying it was burned copy, even though it was a brand new store-bought copy. So I contacted technical support at Bethesda's website. They told me that if I have any kind of disc burning software such as Nero, Roxio, Alchohol, Starburn, or other similar programs then Oblivion: GOTY will not install due to the SecureRom software on the Oblivion disc. THAT'S INSANE! The video game is trying to play big brother with my programs? How can a video game override another program, freaking ridiculous! So now to play Oblivion GOTY I have to uninstall my Starburn and Nero software, and the Nero Software is store-bought! Am I the only one that thinks that's outrageous?!
nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

If you're serious then that's just stupid... Having to uninstall burn software to be able to install a game? WTF?Hmm are you able to play it when you uninstall burn software, install game, install burn software again?

edit: "Am I the only one that thinks that's outrageous?!": no you aren't :S

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Emerald_Warrior

If you're serious then that's just stupid... Having to uninstall burn software to be able to install a game? WTF?Hmm are you able to play it when you uninstall burn software, install game, install burn software again?

edit: "Am I the only one that thinks that's outrageous?!": no you aren't :S

nilzg
I haven't tried to reinstall either since installing Oblivion, but I'll give it a shot.
charrr1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 charrr1234
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts
Wait until you realize you don't half of the DLC with it. But yeah, Nero and Starburn have cd image mounters, which are mostly used by pirates.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Emerald_Warrior
Wait until you realize you don't half of the DLC with it. But yeah, Nero and Starburn have cd image mounters, which are mostly used by pirates.charrr1234
Well I bought Nero for music and video burning, which is what it's advertised for on the box. I don't even know how to mod anything. Regardless, it's none of their business what I have on my computer, because I obviously have a store-bought copy of the game itself which is all they should care about. -Nate-
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
I had that same problem. Except removing the software made no difference. I formatted both my hard drives and re-installed an OS and (not that game, but others using SecuRom) still said they detected disc burning software. I am pretty sure cracks (No CD) are illegal, but when I can not play a game even after reformatting my PC then you know what.... I am going to use them, and I did. I have yet to fully understand the extreme DRM that is being used. How is punishing legit customers stopping people from illegally downloading it? Oh by making it harder to crack? I am sure there are many, many other ways to make it harder to crack without punishing legit customers.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Yeah, I had the same issue with Nero. I thought it was the Nero software that was causing the issue, apparently not. I had to uninstall it and forcefully remove some registry files to get Oblivion to install.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I've had no problem installing Oblivion GOTY from Steam :D GO STEAM!!!
Avatar image for monkeymoose5000
monkeymoose5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 monkeymoose5000
Member since 2007 • 6111 Posts
I've had no problem installing Oblivion GOTY from Steam :D GO STEAM!!!trastamad03
Don't post anymore, your post count is at 666.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Hmm that is odd. Have you tried making sure they weren't running in the background when you were trying to install the game?
k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
Technically, what pirates do in Nero and such is legal as I know many people who do it (which is making a data disc out of a .iso) professionally and sometimes for school. But for this DRM to detect such software/type of software is pretty disturbing. Are you absolutely sure?
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Emerald_Warrior
Technically, what pirates do in Nero and such is legal as I know many people who do it (which is making a data disc out of a .iso) professionally and sometimes for school. But for this DRM to detect such software/type of software is pretty disturbing. Are you absolutely sure? k0r3aN_pR1d3
Well, that's what Bethesda's (the company that makes Oblivion GOTY) technical support said. And when I uninstalled the software, Oblivion then installed just fine. So everything points to yes, I'm absoultely sure. But nilzg's suggestion worked, just reinstalling the programs again after Oblivion is installed and updated works out just fine. So easy fix! -Nate-
psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

It's not any burning software.... it's mounting software. This is not the first game that does this.

This is what I don't understand. Let's say a person who doesn't believe in piracy buys this game, yet has a software installed that has the ability to mount. Let's assume he really needs this software for whatever reasons. The guy who bought the game just wasted $50 as he can't really return it. However, let's say he knows that he can play the game buy downloading a cracked version. At this point, the guy doesn't feel it is stealing anymore, as he has already paid for it. Does this really prevent piracy or push more people towards it? I mean, think about it. Most people who pirate won't be buying the game to begin with. So, this kind of thing is going to mostly affect legit users who also happen to have a software installed with mounting capabilities. I guess I'm just not seeing the logic in a move like this.

Also, I would have to question the legality of a move like this. Does it say on the back of the case that it will not install if you have a mounting program installed? Such programs are not illegal. If there is no disclaimer, I don't see how this is legal, and I can picture a future lawsuit.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Mine didn't... I installed my Oblivion GOTY recently.
Shinkaisin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shinkaisin
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
My Daemon tools never became a problem while installing games with SecureRom.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't have the GOTY edition. But, I do have the Bioshock/Oblivion Combo which installed both games just fine. I have Imgburn which didn't trigger anything. Doom 3 still hates cd-cloning/virtual cd apps though although it's fine with both Imgburn and Win 7's Window DVD Maker app.