Nvidia Surround with mismatched monitors issue

Avatar image for Byshop
#1 Posted by Byshop (19602 posts) -

I recently swapped out all three of the monitors on my main PC. Previously, I had three Asus Rog Swift PG278Q 1440P 144hz GSync monitors. I replaced the center monitor the Asus beast PG27U, which is basically the same monitor except it's also 4k/HDR on an IPS panel. I also replaced the two side monitors with the PG279Q which is the IPS version of the same monitors. So I've got 1440p, 4k, 1440p. The highest common resolution between all the monitors is 1440p and the highest common refresh is 120hz.

My issue is when I went to try to run in Surround it didn't let me select 7680x1440p at 120hz. The highest common resolution it allowed me to select was 1024x768 at 60hz, so the Surround resolution was 3072x768 at 60hz.

If I exclude the 4k monitor, I can set up the Surround at full resolution for both 1440p monitors, but the second I add the 4k it stops working. Any ideas how to resolve this? My preference was to keep high refresh 1440p monitors for the sides, but if I can't get this to work then there's no reason to use them. I'd be better off with low refresh 4k monitors on the side instead.

Avatar image for Byshop
#2 Posted by Byshop (19602 posts) -

Found the problem. The PG27U is a rockstar of a monitor but it's support of video modes is somewhat limited in it's input signals. The highest resolution it can take below 4k on DisplayPort is 1024x768, which makes sense. I suspect there's no fixing this. Before I learned this I tried copying the EDID from the 1440P monitors over the 4k monitors config. That fixed the Surround issue, but I had no picture on the 4k monitor.

Avatar image for horgen
#3 Posted by Horgen (121118 posts) -

@Byshop said:

Found the problem. The PG27U is a rockstar of a monitor but it's support of video modes is somewhat limited in it's input signals. The highest resolution it can take below 4k on DisplayPort is 1024x768, which makes sense. I suspect there's no fixing this. Before I learned this I tried copying the EDID from the 1440P monitors over the 4k monitors config. That fixed the Surround issue, but I had no picture on the 4k monitor.

Why does that makes sense?

Avatar image for WESTBLADE
#4 Posted by WESTBLADE (539 posts) -
@horgen said:
@Byshop said:

Found the problem. The PG27U is a rockstar of a monitor but it's support of video modes is somewhat limited in it's input signals. The highest resolution it can take below 4k on DisplayPort is 1024x768, which makes sense. I suspect there's no fixing this. Before I learned this I tried copying the EDID from the 1440P monitors over the 4k monitors config. That fixed the Surround issue, but I had no picture on the 4k monitor.

Why does that makes sense?

Yea, that makes zero sense... *heavily confused*

Avatar image for Byshop
#5 Posted by Byshop (19602 posts) -

@WESTBLADE said:
@horgen said:
@Byshop said:

Found the problem. The PG27U is a rockstar of a monitor but it's support of video modes is somewhat limited in it's input signals. The highest resolution it can take below 4k on DisplayPort is 1024x768, which makes sense. I suspect there's no fixing this. Before I learned this I tried copying the EDID from the 1440P monitors over the 4k monitors config. That fixed the Surround issue, but I had no picture on the 4k monitor.

Why does that makes sense?

Yea, that makes zero sense... *heavily confused*

I phrased that badly. I don't think it makes sense that it won't take a higher res signal between 1024x768 and 4k. What makes sense is if that's the information being returned by the EDID then that's why I'm only getting the option to do 3072x1024, since that's the highest common supported signal by all three monitors.

As an update, I "solved" this problem through a bit of hackery/trickery. The PG27UQ has two inputs, DisplayPort and HDMI. While there's some debate as to what signals the DP will take, the HDMI port would almost always support what are called "TV Resolutions" in the EDID data block, which range from standard def through 1080P and then 4K (albeit none of them above 60hz). I hooked up the same monitor over HDMI and it still didn't work, but it turns out I'm not sure NVidia Surround will read TV Resolutions (it expects monitors) so I edited in a 1080P mode to the EDID data in the registry. Turns out although the 1440p monitors supported more resolutions, they didn't actually have a 1080P mode in the EDID for the DP so I had to edit one in for them as well. One reboot later and voila, 5760x1080 at 60hz across all three:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

However, this was a really hacky solution and it required me messing with cabling every time I want to do Surround, so I said screw it and just bought two more 4K monitors. Problem solved. Not the PG27UQ because that would be ridiculous, but instead I got a couple comparable spec Acer monitors that are a bit cheaper.

Game capture is problematic in this mode, though, so I have to use a hardware device. I've got an Avermedia 4K capture card in this box, so I ran the center monitor's HDMI through that so I can capture the center monitor using the hardware card even when in Surround mode. Of course, this also meant going back to HDMI and EDID trickery but the end result is pretty cool.

Avatar image for WESTBLADE
#6 Posted by WESTBLADE (539 posts) -
@Byshop said:
@WESTBLADE said:
@horgen said:
@Byshop said:

Found the problem. The PG27U is a rockstar of a monitor but it's support of video modes is somewhat limited in it's input signals. The highest resolution it can take below 4k on DisplayPort is 1024x768, which makes sense. I suspect there's no fixing this. Before I learned this I tried copying the EDID from the 1440P monitors over the 4k monitors config. That fixed the Surround issue, but I had no picture on the 4k monitor.

Why does that makes sense?

Yea, that makes zero sense... *heavily confused*

I phrased that badly. I don't think it makes sense that it won't take a higher res signal between 1024x768 and 4k. What makes sense is if that's the information being returned by the EDID then that's why I'm only getting the option to do 3072x1024, since that's the highest common supported signal by all three monitors.

Okay, that makes sense now. :)