Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

That is probably done with multiple high-end RTX *000cards

We are not going to see stuff like that in games years from now.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

metro exodus has some ray tracing, also I think for it to be adopted in more games quickly nvidia has to have some competition from amd as that will force nvidia to help game devs implement the tech through their gameworks program

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@urbangamez: Last thing we need is for ray tracing to be a GameWorks thing. I don't want anymore proprietary bullshit. I want developers to develop with an open standard that can be used by Nvidia, AMD, and Intel. DirectX Ray Tracing and more so... Vulkan Ray Tracing is what developers should be using.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 04dcarraher

@urbangamez said:
@04dcarraher said:

metro exodus has some ray tracing, also I think for it to be adopted in more games quickly nvidia has to have some competition from amd as that will force nvidia to help game devs implement the tech through their gameworks program

The tech demo above was done on multiple top tier gpus. Metro will not have anything close to that. Full scene raytracing on a single gpu is years away.

Its not true ray tracing, its picking and choosing certain objects and effects to enhance aspects from a scene.its using small amount of tacked on ray tracing layered over normal rasterization rendering. Nvidia promoting tacked on ray tracing is not going to push games nor devs to use the tech. You have too many factors that prevent the transition to be quick.

Consoles, All current hardware that dont have the extra ray tracing abilities, time and money of the devs to spend the effort when 99% of their user market cant use it.

Look at DX12 as an API standard, and yet 98% of games still use Direct x 11's base coding with DX12's layered over on top. It will be awhile before we see real changes.

Nvidia holding the reins with raytracing is not healthy for us, because we know they will incorporate it into gameworks and make it proprietary.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Oh please, if they wish to kill raytracing before it has even begun, make it a gameworks thing.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 urbangamez

@horgen said:

Oh please, if they wish to kill raytracing before it has even begun, make it a gameworks thing.

a lot depends on amd

@BassMan said:

@urbangamez: Last thing we need is for ray tracing to be a GameWorks thing. I don't want anymore proprietary bullshit. I want developers to develop with an open standard that can be used by Nvidia, AMD, and Intel. DirectX Ray Tracing and more so... Vulkan Ray Tracing is what developers should be using.

I don't like gameworks either, but if publishers are not going to spend the extra money on ray tracing then any help from nvidia and epic games using unreal engine would go a long way into making the tech more readily available for implementation. amd works with Bethesda and amd supports gpu open, if amd can help bethesda develop a standard game engine for their company for all their games like id tech 7 that would also help to speed up implementation in games.

@04dcarraher: I am aware that its not full ray tracing in metro but the mere fact that they would even attempt to try, is encouraging and ought to encourage devs/pubs like dice/ea with frostbite, cdprojekt with red engine etc to do some level of implementation. as for current hardware we are at the end of the cycle for both consoles and gpus and so its up to amd and intel to design new devices that take advantage of the technology and provide competition for nvidia

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

@urbangamez: As long as consoles remain AMD with no support for it, only a handfull of games will probably implement it in a way that it actually matter.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 urbangamez

@horgen said:

@urbangamez: As long as consoles remain AMD with no support for it, only a handfull of games will probably implement it in a way that it actually matter.

amd has some ray tracing technology called radeon rays which is an open standard and conforms to open cl 1.2, they also have prorender which is a mix of ray tracing and traditional rasterization which conforms to vulkan 1.1 all of these are available at no cost and devs can download them from GitHub.

I still think that the best way for amd to gain traction with this is to pick a game engine, id tech or cryengine in this case because frostbite and unreal seem closely alined with nvidia and provide support to the dev like Bethesda and show them how to apply either radeon rays or prorender to their games to take advantage of amd mulitiple cpu cores and gpu asynccompute

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 04dcarraher

@urbangamez:

Actually Frostbite was Pro AMD with the use of Mantle with BF4. So the engine is actually more neutral

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By urbangamez

@04dcarraher said:

@urbangamez:

Actually Frostbite was Pro AMD with the use of Mantle with BF4. So the engine is actually more neutral

true, frostbite was rockin with amd, but mantle has since been retired and BF5 is rollin with gameworks.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

You know, I see this, and get excited.

But then I think "Hmm. Star Citizen will want to add this to their game. Well, there goes another three years added on to development"

@04dcarraher said:

Done with the Quadro RTX 6000...

...which iirc is their workstation card, not their gaming card.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 urbangamez

@mrbojangles25: just watched nvidia's gamescom presentation, thankfully you will not have to wait for star citizen, asseto corsa, shadow of the tomb raider, metro exodus and BF5 will have some level of hybrid ray tracing, BF5 seem to have the best implemention of reflections judging from the presentation which nvidia says was done in real time

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

If what was shown at the conference is anything to go by actual in game ray tracing doesn't look like anything more than a extra feature that could possibly just be another performance hog that many will disable in order to achieve higher frame rates in BF5 when playing on their 144Hz screens.

HDR looks better what I have seen from ray tracing in terms of impacting image quality.

I am not sold and it looked like Nvidia didn't have much to show which is scary.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

If what was shown at the conference is anything to go by actual in game ray tracing doesn't look like anything more than a extra feature that could possibly just be another performance hog that many will disable in order to achieve higher frame rates in BF5 when playing on their 144Hz screens.

HDR looks better what I have seen from ray tracing in terms of impacting image quality.

I am not sold and it looked like Nvidia didn't have much to show which is scary.

This game probably the best representation for RTX.

Loading Video...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#16  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

Here is a buffet of RTX demos....

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-rtx-demo-shows-seriously-impressive-reflections-in-atomic-heart-bf5-and-more/

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 urbangamez

looking forward to playing metro, control, shadow, and bf5

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Also.. Isn't it only 2070 and above that are RTX? Meaning we are atleast one generation away from it reaching the main stream gaming cards, and even longer away from it being common.

And for it to be fully used in games, AMD needs to support it as well. Plus we probably need 10X the ray tracing capabilities that 2080Ti before it will look awesome without dipping into the low 30fps at 1440 and above.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 urbangamez

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

raytraced reflections, shadows and dlss will look more photorealistic with hdr than hdr with rasterization. there will be a performance hit, 3Dmark will have a timespy raytraced version by september for benchmarks. and as time goes on better drivers and optimizations for games will increase performance.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@urbangamez: Lol keep dreaming. The PC they're using to demo that cost around $40,000+.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 urbangamez

@saintsatan said:

@urbangamez: Lol keep dreaming. The PC they're using to demo that cost around $40,000+.

right now raytracing in BF5, metro,shadow, control and re2 remake is ok for me

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@urbangamez said:
@saintsatan said:

You don't even get what he said.

RT isn't mainstream, it isn't even enthusiast level.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 urbangamez

@GTR12 said:
@urbangamez said:
@saintsatan said:

you don't get what I said, so let me spell it out.

im not dreamin. BF5, metro, shadow, control and RE2 remake will not require a $40,000 plus pc to run when they are released. The games may not look exactly like the demo in my topic post but these games will have elements of RT which are present in the demo, whether it be raytraced shadows, raytraced reflections, dlss or any combination of the three. is it full RT? no, will these games look eactly like the demo? no, will aspects these games look something (anything) like the demo? yes, its a start and right now that's ok for me.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@urbangamez said:
@GTR12 said:

you don't get what I said, so let me spell it out.

im not dreamin. BF5, metro, shadow, control and RE2 remake will not require a $40,000 plus pc to run when they are released. The games may not look exactly like the demo in my topic post but these games will have elements of RT which are present in the demo, whether it be raytraced shadows, raytraced reflections, dlss or any combination of the three. is it full RT? no, will these games look eactly like the demo? no, will aspects these games look something (anything) like the demo? yes, its a start and right now that's ok for me.

Enjoy staring at the shadows, reflections or dlss.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 urbangamez

@GTR12: well in the case of, lets just use one game, shadow, the ray traced shadows will be joined by HBAO+, enhanced AA and tessellation, CHS, HDR and SSCS, so yeah I am gonna enjoy the games