This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serial-No_3404
Member since 2007 • 2876 Posts

My harddrive is making quite a bit of noise. It's never been dropped or anything like that so I'm kinda confused. The grinding ish sound comes and goes. How can I troubleshoot this issue? I have a 1tb Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm drive.

Mewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Mewi
Member since 2006 • 386 Posts

My harddrive is making quite a bit of noise. It's never been dropped or anything like that so I'm kinda confused. The grinding ish sound comes and goes. How can I troubleshoot this issue? I have a 1tb Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm drive.

Serial-No_3404

When you say "Grinding sound" is this more of an actual grinding sound... as if metal was being placed up against a saw? or more like repetative clicking/tapping?

I recommend backing up all of your data on another drive for security puroses and assuming you are using windows. Press windows key ( or start button ) and type in search "CMD" Right click CMD and "Run as administrator" for XP just go to start > run > type "CMD" hit enter > ( read further below for further instructions )

Now depending on how many partitions you have type chkdsk C: /r /f ( for example ) C: being the drive, do this for every partition letter on that drive. Type "Y" and enter for checking the operating system disk then restart your system.

Regardless the thing about loud hard drives is... they either last a very long time ( with the possibility of reduced performance ) or they begin getting bad sectors and you start losing data. Also make sure the volume is defragmented.

You can also test the hard drive life with various tools but I am at work so I don't have any links to provide. Just keep in mind any drive 1TB and up drives are still newer technology and have a high failure rate.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

If the hard drive has always had that sound, then you are more than likely okay. If you're not happy with it, get a refund/exchange if the sound bothers you.

If the drive has recently been making those noises when its never done so, its usually a sign of imminent drive failure. I suggest you backup anything thats important.

Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serial-No_3404
Member since 2007 • 2876 Posts
It's a new computer, I build it like 3 or 4 weeks ago. I recently moved it to sit on my desk so I might just not have noticed it before when it was on the floor by my desk. I moved to a different room that's smaller so the desk was the only place I have space for it. It sounds like a tattoo machine at work.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

All hard drives make noise when accessing data.

Whether it's a problem or not depends on the exact noise.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts
It's a new computer, I build it like 3 or 4 weeks ago. I recently moved it to sit on my desk so I might just not have noticed it before when it was on the floor by my desk. I moved to a different room that's smaller so the desk was the only place I have space for it. It sounds like a tattoo machine at work.Serial-No_3404
It's probably the case, HDD cages may be terrible dampening the HDD's vibrations, whenever the case sits on the desk the desk make a resonance sound, thats probably what your experience.