Noisy CPU??? should I worry?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 FlameMe
Member since 2006 • 1165 Posts
So I rebuilt my PC and installed an Intel Pentium D 3.0ghz processor on to a Mach SpeedP4MSD-800 Socket 775 MoBo and I couldnt here the CPU making any noise.  There were some compatabilities problems with that MoBo and other hardware I had so I ended up replacing it with an Gigabyte MoBo and now my CPU is very noisy.

I dont mind the noise, but I was wondering if I should be worried that my once quite CPU is now very noisy ob a different board?  Is this normal, could it be damaging my CPU?

Thanx in advance:-)

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts
Firstly, the CPU isn't noisy, it's the Heat Sink Fan (HSF) that makes all the noise. Are you sure you seated the HSF on the processor correctly?

BTW--What temps are you getting?
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
Check for any 'smart' or 'auto' fan settings. They may be turned up to full in a manual state. You could see if your mobo cd comes with any temp monitoring software to adjust you fan speed.
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gregoroth
Check in your BIOS first.
TheLiberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheLiberal
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts
Did you check in the BIOS for an option like, for example, in my BIOS, "CPU Quiet Fan". You want the motherboard to change the cpu fan speed depending on the temperature of the cpu.

Good Luck.

***EDIT***
Whoops, looks like I got beat to the post.
FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FlameMe
Well the CPU temp doesnt seem to be getting abnormally hot, around 42-45C. It could possibly be the HSF, I will certainly look into that but its really weird, like its quite if not not using the PC, but just moving the Mouse back and forth I can hear the noise when I move the mouse, but it stops when the mouse stops moving. Same if I am loading webpages ect. Anyway I will double check my BIOS settings and install some CPU monitoring software. I'm pretty sure the CPU and HSF are mounted properly as well.
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts
Well the CPU temp doesnt seem to be getting abnormally hot, around 42-45C. It could possibly be the HSF, I will certainly look into that but its really weird, like its quite if not not using the PC, but just moving the Mouse back and forth I can hear the noise when I move the mouse, but it stops when the mouse stops moving. Same if I am loading webpages ect. Anyway I will double check my BIOS settings and install some CPU monitoring software. I'm pretty sure the CPU and HSF are mounted properly as well.FlameMe
Something could be burning your CPU in the background. I hate problems like these... :lol:
FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FlameMe

Something could be burning your CPU in the background. I hate problems like these... :lol:

burning my CPU in the background? you mean like just eating up resources or CPU clocks, not physically "burning" right?
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gregoroth
Did you do a fresh install of the OS after replacing the motherboard?
FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FlameMe
yea, I've actually reinstalled the OS twice. I will double check my BIOS settings like you guys suggested and get some CPU monitoring software and see if I find anything. I also have some upgraded RAM to put in tonight that can't hurt. thanks!
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts
Well the CPU temp doesnt seem to be getting abnormally hot, around 42-45C. It could possibly be the HSF, I will certainly look into that but its really weird, like its quite if not not using the PC, but just moving the Mouse back and forth I can hear the noise when I move the mouse, but it stops when the mouse stops moving. Same if I am loading webpages ect. Anyway I will double check my BIOS settings and install some CPU monitoring software. I'm pretty sure the CPU and HSF are mounted properly as well.FlameMe

That would be your hard drive making noise.
FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FlameMe
wow really?...yea i guess that would make sense but i didnt think the hard drive would be spinning or accessing data just from moving my mouse. Oh well I will check the bios and cpu and let it go for now. A chkdsk /r did correct some problems, so maybe I will run it once more.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts
wow really?...yea i guess that would make sense but i didnt think the hard drive would be spinning or accessing data just from moving my mouse. Oh well I will check the bios and cpu and let it go for now. A chkdsk /r did correct some problems, so maybe I will run it once more. FlameMe

maybe a defrag would be good
FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FlameMe
I just installed the OS about 5 days ago but I will give all the general HDD maintenance a shot, thanks for help!