No good multiplayer games anymore? What has happened to gaming?!!!!!!!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Macrinus88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Macrinus88
Member since 2010 • 77 Posts

I hate MW3, I do really like the Battlefield Serise even though I only logged about 80 hours on BF2, I logged about 480-600 hours though on amazing Battlefield Mods like Forgotten Hope/Forgotten Hope 2/ Project Reality and Mods that no one plays anymore like Operatoin PeaceKeeper, Eve of Destruction, Nations at War and Point of Exsistence 2.

Even though BF3 is an amazing game, my issue with multiplayer PC gaming today is its more of the same. Theres nothing innovative or new about anything, Battlefield 3 is just a fancy looking upgrade with a new game engine, new maps and game modes but nothing really innovative, its just new content and a new game engine which follows the traditional Battlefield game model. Its like the StarCraft 2 for PC games, Starcrafts 2's multiplayer is even more generic then BF2, its simply slightly upgraded graphics with new units and maps. Nothing new at all.

Because gaming is like this, I developed urges to play MMO's. There are no Good MMO's these days except for a few. I always loved world of warcrafts lore and WOW looks great, I like the graphics style but the gameplay is the same generic point and click crack JUST LIKE The Old Republic MMO is. I have played wow on private servers and Im thinking about playing on Molten WoW, the best private WoW server ever made but I have second thoughts. WoW just feels pointless to me, all the grinding can be fun when you go in new areas, explore and do quests but what is there really to do when your level 80? The only thing is to do Raids and PVP, thats it, so WoW would eventually get to repetitive.

The only MMO I wanna play now is DarkFall, I don't know the enviornments look a bit bland but I would not know for sure, havn't played it on MAX SETTINGS before and I don't think I played it before. DarkFall looks like it has amazing gameplay, basically the gameplay is like Skyrim/Oblivion but without the amazing graphics but it can still look pretty good (Like WoW can) if you max it out.

Also the only Innovative FPS game being made is PlanetSide 2, the MMOFPS. So Darkfall and PlanetSide 2 are the only games im looking foward to playing multiplayer wise, when I get a new gaming comp. I love Seamless MMO's, a MMO without the generic and madly over done point and click gameplay with that annoying Target lock on so you can only fight one person at one time, its not seamless at all.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

personally games such as SC2, BF3 & MW3 are great online and really fun..

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

BF3, Red Orchestra2 and Serious Sam 3 are pretty fun :)

Macrinus88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Macrinus88

Yea I really liked RO1 but the trend still remains. None of these games provide something new or Innovative, the only FPS games/Fantasy MMO games now providing something different are Planet Side 2 and possibly Dark Fall.

The seamless sword fighting FPS style game is an upcoming genre ever since mount and blade warband came out, type in "Chivalry:The Game" its based off of that game mod Age of Chilvary on steam which is free (but many maps are unbalanced) and their making a full game now.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Well if you want innovation, you are looking in the wrong place, developers do what they know and perfected for years because for almost all people it's "good enough", innovation tho, it comes from small developers, indie games and such, games that rarely have multiplayer, like Dungeon Defenders, this one has and it's unlike any game I played, combines multiple genres and functions and does it extremely well.

They can do a lot more with pretty much any genre, but not FPSs, you can't reinvent how to shoot people, especially in modern or realistic themes, since that's all they do these days.

Also can't wait for the Chivalry game :P, loved Age of Chivalry the mod.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

^^ Im having a blast with Dungeon Defenders to Daniel ;)

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

We've been in a multiplayer FPS "rut" since the early-to-mid 2000s. Very little innovation, very few new ideas, etc. It's only going to get worse.

CCpotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CCpotter
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

I hate MW3, I do really like the Battlefield Serise even though I only logged about 80 hours on BF2, I logged about 480-600 hours though on amazing Battlefield Mods like Forgotten Hope/Forgotten Hope 2/ Project Reality and Mods that no one plays anymore like Operatoin PeaceKeeper, Eve of Destruction, Nations at War and Point of Exsistence 2.

Even though BF3 is an amazing game, my issue with multiplayer PC gaming today is its more of the same. Theres nothing innovative or new about anything, Battlefield 3 is just a fancy looking upgrade with a new game engine, new maps and game modes but nothing really innovative, its just new content and a new game engine which follows the traditional Battlefield game model. Its like the StarCraft 2 for PC games, Starcrafts 2's multiplayer is even more generic then BF2, its simply slightly upgraded graphics with new units and maps. Nothing new at all.

Because gaming is like this, I developed urges to play MMO's. There are no Good MMO's these days except for a few. I always loved world of warcrafts lore and WOW looks great, I like the graphics style but the gameplay is the same generic point and click crack JUST LIKE The Old Republic MMO is. I have played wow on private servers and Im thinking about playing on Molten WoW, the best private WoW server ever made but I have second thoughts. WoW just feels pointless to me, all the grinding can be fun when you go in new areas, explore and do quests but what is there really to do when your level 80? The only thing is to do Raids and PVP, thats it, so WoW would eventually get to repetitive.

The only MMO I wanna play now is DarkFall, I don't know the enviornments look a bit bland but I would not know for sure, havn't played it on MAX SETTINGS before and I don't think I played it before. DarkFall looks like it has amazing gameplay, basically the gameplay is like Skyrim/Oblivion but without the amazing graphics but it can still look pretty good (Like WoW can) if you max it out.

Also the only Innovative FPS game being made is PlanetSide 2, the MMOFPS. So Darkfall and PlanetSide 2 are the only games im looking foward to playing multiplayer wise, when I get a new gaming comp. I love Seamless MMO's, a MMO without the generic and madly over done point and click gameplay with that annoying Target lock on so you can only fight one person at one time, its not seamless at all.

Macrinus88
hey kid, i think Counter Strike 1.5 suits you best...
CCpotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CCpotter
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts
[QUOTE="Macrinus88"]

CCpotter
hey kid, i think Counter Strike 1.5 suits you best...

No, i take back my works, it should be Half-Life
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#10 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Tribes: Ascend has been wonderful on the MP FPS front. Ever since getting into the beta, I havent touched BF3 since.
Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

left. 4. dead. 2.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Yea, someone should make a MMO that plays like Arma. Here's some hope:

Click

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

Tribes: Ascend has been wonderful on the MP FPS front. Ever since getting into the beta, I havent touched BF3 since.illmatic87

I'm in the beta as well. Great game. It's going to make waves when it's released.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Still addicted to Team Foretress 2. Always a great game to go back to when bored.
walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

Yeah my some of my funiest times playing MP Gaming was on a little Half Life 2 mod called Zombie Master. Also COOP half life 2 DM was great fun.

Life was sooo simple back then...played to have fun and learn enjoy the maps to your advantage.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Its been all downhill since Wolfenstein ET. No innovation.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Actually, what happened to gaming . . . was multiplayer.

Before multiplayer became such a fad, developers actually worked hard to make quality single player games. Those games sometimes had multiplayer added on to give the games even more playablility - BUT - when you start designing games with multiplayer as the main point, and the single player as the addon, quality goes WAY downhill.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Check out cRPG for Mount and Blade Warband. It's a very fresh and addicting multiplayer experience - I've probably put over 600 hours into it. Best swordplay I've seen in a game.
Maximus_Fett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maximus_Fett
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts

Mmmm, I think I agree to some extent, having not played MW3 or BF3. But the RPG genre is becoming stagnant (has been for a while actually -THANKS WoW). Basically everyone who has spent their life on WoW doesn't want to leave it so in lots of other games (by no means all though) you get everyone at higher levels, who can olnly really power game and farm things for eons, which is boring as hell imho, because no new players are coming in. It is also because WoW has so many people on the servers that people stay there. I'm sure there is a phrase for this but the term "The rich get richer, the poor stay poor" springs to mind, just instead of money we're talking about popularity in videa games....

I don't think WoW is the main problem, just that it is a problem to the other games because it concords with the lowest common denomenator (which basically means the most popular...) - this just leads to lesser known games to be less populated.

You, the OP, addressed in the first sentance BF3 and MW3. You say they are no good multiplayer games, but there are hundreds of games out there that are great and probably far exceed MW3 in some people's opinions.

Maximus_Fett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maximus_Fett

Actually, what happened to gaming . . . was multiplayer.

Before multiplayer became such a fad, developers actually worked hard to make quality single player games. Those games sometimes had multiplayer added on to give the games even more playablility - BUT - when you start designing games with multiplayer as the main point, and the single player as the addon, quality goes WAY downhill.

Born_Lucky

I completely agree with the above point. I look at some games in the 90's or the early 00's (Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 spring to mind - DOOM ofc is another gameplay legend) and they remain to this day, with almost photo-realistic graphics being used in all the modern games, better in many ways. Baldur's Gate for example uses 16 or 32 bit graphics if I remember correctly, yet I enjoy it more than most games I have played (I would put it in my "top 20" list). Knights of the ld republic one AND two both had no multiplayer support (to my knowledge) yet they too are great games, not needing multiplayer in themselves.

What I think needs to be done is prioritisation. The developers need to make either a single player game or a multiplayer game it would be far more simple and therefore probably more effective. Killzone 2 (not played 3) is quite a good example of when multiplayer and single player DOES work though.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Sadly with Online mp we are really just see rehashs. With online fps mostly. Cod hasn't made any changes since cod4. Battlefield really hasn't done anyhting new since bc1.

Mizeak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mizeak
Member since 2011 • 114 Posts

Macrinus88

I wouldn't say Darkfall is like oblivion/skyrim nor any other TES game. It really isn't.

Everything kinda gets (or is) repetitve if you think about it.

Molten WoW ain't the *best* private server for wow.

Thank you.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
I haven't done much mutliplayer gaming since the PC R6V2 community died off.. Starcraft 2 is about the only game that I've played online in the last year or so...
Maximus_Fett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Maximus_Fett

I gotta say though... Dark Souls.....

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

im not looking for anything particular out of games, I just want them to be fun. Maybe take a break for awhile, then come back and youll notice all the little things that changed over time.

judahstarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 judahstarguy
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

left. 4. dead. 2.

Selkc
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Great games to play online are:

World of warcraft, Alien swarm, APB: reloaded, Borderlands, Counter-strike, Counter-strike: source, Dino d-day, Lead and gold, Left 4 dead 2, Lego games, Red faction, Team fortress, Call of duty, Battlefield, Payday: the heist.. and much more.

Macrinus88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Macrinus88

APB:Reloaded does look like something different, might have to try that game out some day when I finally get a gaming comp.

But the only innovative and different game in development now multiplayer wise is Planet Side 2. There was this RTS game based being made modern war type game, it looked great and new but I forget the name of it.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Your taste in shooters is pretty limited. Blog it next time. There's Firefall and Tribes Ascend on the horizon, and a massive array of multiplayer shooters out at the moment.
Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts
Tribes: Ascend. It's like no other FPS out there (well accept the other Tribes games but they are old) and is all about skill and movement. It truly feels like an innovative game and something new and fresh. I was in the same boat as you, sick of modern shooters and how they are all becoming alike, following the same formula. But you can get into the Tribes: Ascend closed beta by signing up and wait OR by buying the $30 started pack (the game is going to be F2P but the starter pack gives you tokens to unlock classes). I also just started playing Darkfall too because I wanted some really intense PvP to get my heart rate up, so far it's a blast.