No DirectX 11.1 for Windows 7

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

Uhhhhh... I can just see the haters go crazy at this, should be a fun topic...

But thinking rationally, we are still mostly gaming at DirectX 9, lol.

#2 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

because dx10.1 was such a hit....oh wait

#3 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

because dx10.1 was such a hit....oh wait

wis3boi
LOL, so true. (And I can't stop laughing at ur latest signature, where is that from?)
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
#4 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
What a sh!tty way to promote their new OS: refuse to implement major features on the previous OS that runs on the same architecture.
#5 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -
What a sh!tty way to promote their new OS: refuse to implement major features on the previous OS that runs on the same architecture. the_ChEeSe_mAn2
" at this point there is no plan for DirectX 11.1 to be made available on Windows 7 " Maybe in the future?
#6 Posted by Jebus213 (10011 posts) -

FelipeInside
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
#7 Posted by deactivated-58b6232955e4a (15594 posts) -
And no developers will use it.
#8 Posted by Jebus213 (10011 posts) -
And no developers will use it. SAGE_OF_FIRE
Of course they will....But just as a gimmick to get sales.
#9 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -
And no developers will use it. SAGE_OF_FIRE
Like the article says, it just facilitates 3D for Game Developers. Not a big issue really since 3D hasn't taken off (in gaming) much.
#10 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

and then they wonder why people are asking for another gaming os

seriously, i saw it comming, they forced it on crap vista to make people switch, and they will keep doing it.

#11 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

seriously, i saw it comming, they forced it on crap vista to make people switch, and they will keep doing it.

Krelian-co

What are you talking about, we have Windows 7.... the best Gaming OS since XP.

#12 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6422 posts) -

Yeah Ive been very happy with Windows 7 but it sucks we PC gamers get forced to upgrade like that.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
#13 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]What a sh!tty way to promote their new OS: refuse to implement major features on the previous OS that runs on the same architecture. FelipeInside
" at this point there is no plan for DirectX 11.1 to be made available on Windows 7 " Maybe in the future?

If there is enough developer and consumer backlash, then MS might relent. But I am skeptical of that.
#14 Posted by with_teeth26 (8281 posts) -

I'm eligible to get the OS for free since I'm a university student, but i'm too lazy to go through the hoops to sign up for Dreamspark.

Thats how many fVcks I have to give about windows 8

#15 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -
Should have called Windows 8 Vista 2.0.
#16 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

I'm eligible to get the OS for free since I'm a university student, but i'm too lazy to go through the hoops to sign up for Dreamspark.

Thats how many fVcks I have to give about windows 8

with_teeth26
I would be more lazy to reinstall all my programs and games, lol.
Should have called Windows 8 Vista 2.0.C_Rule
Windows 8 works better so far 3 weeks into launch then Vista a year after release.
#17 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

Xbox 3 will probably use directx 11.1. Doesn't that mean we will be forced into upgrading soon?

#18 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

Xbox 3 will probably use directx 11.1. Doesn't that mean we will be forced into upgrading soon?

JangoWuzHere
Games on consoles aren't backwards compatible (some used to be). Games on Windows are backwards compatible, unless it uses specific features (like Just Cause 2 which you needed Windows 7).
#19 Posted by Realmjumper (703 posts) -

Most developers will make their games with as many earlier versions of Direct X as possible, otherwise the game just won't sell.

#20 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

FelipeInside

windows 7 is great, but everything is a problem with microsoft as long as they have monopoly on the OS part, they tried to force directx 10 with vista even though vista was crap to force people swtich, and now they are doing it again.

#21 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

Krelian-co

windows 7 is great, but everything is a problem with microsoft as long as they have monopoly on the OS part, they tried to force directx 10 with vista even though vista was crap to force people swtich, and now they are doing it again.

But this is DirectX 11.1, not DirectX 11. It's only small features that are mostly used by developers, not gamers. And like another poster said, what developer is going to do a DirectX 11.1 ONLY game?
#22 Posted by teardropmina (2806 posts) -

if dx 11.1 only matters to 3D game design...then it won't help win8 but won't hurt win7 either.

3D gaming is a niche, and it'll stay that way, forever, or until the day when autostereoscopy is a norm in gaming.

besides, win7 is excellent for 3d vision/ surround and win8 offers no performance gain, currently even worst -- like Batman AC is more demanding to run 3D surround on win8.

#23 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

if dx 11.1 only matters to 3D game design...then it won't help win8 but won't hurt win7 either.

3D gaming is a niche, and it'll stay that way, forever, or until the day when autostereoscopy is a norm in gaming.

besides, win7 is excellent for 3d vision/ surround and win8 offers no performance gain, currently even worst -- like Batman AC is more demanding to run 3D surround on win8.

teardropmina
A bit off topic but the only way I see 3D Gaming taking off mainstream is if they release monitors with the ability to do 3D without glasses or anything special. A Samsung Monitor does this, it simulates 3D through the Monitor (not the video card), but you still need glasses.
#24 Posted by teardropmina (2806 posts) -

[QUOTE="teardropmina"]

FelipeInside

A bit off topic but the only way I see 3D Gaming taking off mainstream is if they release monitors with the ability to do 3D without glasses or anything special. A Samsung Monitor does this, it simulates 3D through the Monitor (not the video card), but you still need glasses.

yeah, that's why I said that 3D gaming will always be a niche, or when the day autostereoscopy (3d without glasses) becomes a norm, we'll all game in 3D~

#25 Posted by 1q3er5 (759 posts) -

this is where steam has to convince studios to start using Open GL and just forget about windows altogether.

#26 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

Still won't make me upgrade mwahahaha :twisted:

Only way i'll buy Windows 8 is on a new build, or if they don't allow you to play games on Win 7 anymore lol.

#27 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Oh teh horror (there would be more things to say, but it's no use, because this is what it's all about in the end).
#28 Posted by PcGamingRig (7383 posts) -

It would be called DirectX 12 if it was worth upgrading to. I am not really bothered, can't be assed to back up all my saves and game data and switch OS yet.

I'll do it when I really need to.

#29 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

What a crap noobish childish way to promote Dx11.1, can easy put it in 7, put force people to buy 8.

FU you piece of crap Greedy ass wipes M$

Well doesnt realy matter, since no one will props use it, and its not like dx12, but still, its the fact that they make it for w8 only that pisses me off.

#30 Posted by vfibsux (4497 posts) -

FelipeInside
Seriously Felipe? Now we are haters for not ditching a perfectly good OS for a shiny new one? And now you are tossing this in our faces rofl about it? Not cool bro.
#31 Posted by R4gn4r0k (26943 posts) -

To the people saying 'It's not DX12', would you upgrade to Windows 8 if it was ?

Because 11.1 being exclusive means 12 will most likely be exclusive to W8 too.

#32 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Quite pathetic tbh.

If it were DX12 it would be semi-understandable but DX11.1?

Common...

And truth be told, would XP support more RAM and DX10/11, games would still run better on it than on Vista/7/8...

#33 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

i hope 3d never becomes mainstream, just watching something in 3d gives me headache

#34 Posted by Wasdie (53469 posts) -

Well then it won't be for a few years until we see DX 11.1 being used.

#35 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

vfibsux
Seriously Felipe? Now we are haters for not ditching a perfectly good OS for a shiny new one? And now you are tossing this in our faces rofl about it? Not cool bro.

I think you read my post wrong, lol....
#36 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

To the people saying 'It's not DX12', would you upgrade to Windows 8 if it was ?

R4gn4r0k
Even so, games are still mostly created in DX9, with a few including DX10-11.
#37 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

I think you read my post wrong, lol....

Or just confirmed what you predicted.
#38 Posted by GarGx1 (9251 posts) -

Don't want Win 8 and don't need DX 11.1.

Also I'd be more concered about a GPU upgrade than an OS upgrade is it was DX 12.

#39 Posted by R4gn4r0k (26943 posts) -

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

FelipeInside

True. But I'm sure if 720 and PS4 get some powerful hardware theres a good chance we'll see more DX11 games on PC too.

#40 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

True. But I'm sure if 720 and PS4 get some powerful hardware theres a good chance we'll see more DX11 games on PC too.R4gn4r0k

pretty sure most console games next gen will be on 11

#41 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5877 posts) -

Yeah Ive been very happy with Windows 7 but it sucks we PC gamers get forced to upgrade like that.

AdamPA1006
There're not forced to upgrade. In practice hardly any games are going to use DX11.1. How many games use DX11? Not many...
#42 Posted by bonafidetk (3911 posts) -

R4gn4r0k
I doubt DX12 is coming to Win8. You're most likely looking at Win9
#43 Posted by Swiftstrike5 (6950 posts) -
I get the feeling they didn't call it DX12 because DX12 is already in development and DX11.1 is just some gimmick to sell a poorly timed OS.
#44 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -
I get the feeling they didn't call it DX12 because DX12 is already in development and DX11.1 is just some gimmick to sell a poorly timed OS.Swiftstrike5
Poorly timed? Guys, look at the big picture. Windows 8 has released simultaneously with Surface and Windows Phone 8. There was no poorly timed OS, it's all part of the big MS Plan to take market share away from Google and Apple.
#45 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]I get the feeling they didn't call it DX12 because DX12 is already in development and DX11.1 is just some gimmick to sell a poorly timed OS.FelipeInside
Poorly timed? Guys, look at the big picture. Windows 8 has released simultaneously with Surface and Windows Phone 8. There was no poorly timed OS, it's all part of the big MS Plan to take market share away from Google and Apple.

7 is still new. Hell, Vista was still new when 7 came out. The time between each release gets smaller and smaller and now they'd rather just make a new OS instead of do some updates like they used to

#46 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]I get the feeling they didn't call it DX12 because DX12 is already in development and DX11.1 is just some gimmick to sell a poorly timed OS.wis3boi

7 is still new. Hell, Vista was still new when 7 came out. The time between each release gets smaller and smaller and now they'd rather just make a new OS instead of do some updates like they used to

Windows Vista had updates and 2 Service Packs. Windows 7 was nearly perfect from launch but still had Service Pack 1. Both are still supported for updates and service packs for the next 10 years or so. Windows 8 was needed to get MS competitive in the tablet, touch and mobile market.
#47 Posted by ferret-gamer (17476 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]I get the feeling they didn't call it DX12 because DX12 is already in development and DX11.1 is just some gimmick to sell a poorly timed OS.wis3boi

Huh? With the exception of Windows XP to Windows Vista, the time period between major consumer Windows releases has always been 2-3 years. The amount of time between Windows 7 and WIndows 8 is normal. Windows XP is the outlier in their operating systems.
#48 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

FelipeInside

because consoles are dx 9, if consoles come with dx 12 games will be using it as soon as 2 years from now and people will be forced to upgrade to win8 to get all the goodies pc enthusiasts like

#49 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

Krelian-co

because consoles are dx 9, if consoles come with dx 12 games will be using it as soon as 2 years from now and people will be forced to upgrade to win8 to get all the goodies pc enthusiasts like

Yes, sadly consoles have a big say in things. Have to wait and see what the next consoles bring out. I read they will be able to play games at 60fps at Full HD (the shock horror)
#50 Posted by HavocEbonlore (483 posts) -

Forced migration.