No AutoPause Options - DRAGON AGE IS A FIASCO !

This topic is locked from further discussion.

osama99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 osama99
Member since 2008 • 69 Posts

This just in from a clearly disappointed player in the official Bioware forums:

And now, for the really big one... the master question... the one question everyone wanted an answer for during all these years of developing of what Bioware called "the spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate".

The question that makes all the difference. The question that will finally, publicly decide whether Dragon Age, the most expected game of the decade, is a fully blown proper CRPG or a god damned FIASCO!

The question that will define whether Bioware has looked in the mirror while considering the feedback of its public, and stood true to its origins as an honest, quality developer, OR if it is now irreversibly stepped to the ugly world of corporate lies, incompetence and total despise of its customers.

Dragon Age - defacto CRPG standard for the new age, OR the final lost opportunity to revive the genre ?

Bioware - the last serious CRPG developer, OR a ghost of everything that it once, in a remote dream, ever was ?

And the question is: WHERE ARE THE AUTO-PAUSE OPTIONS ?

ARE THERE AUTO-PAUSE OPTIONS ? CAN I SET THE GAME TO AUTO-PAUSE WHEN A CHARACTER IS HIT ? WHEN A CHARACTER IS FATALLY WOUNDED ? WHEN A SPELL IS CAST ? WHEN A CHARACTER DIES ?

YES ?!!!! OR NO ???!!!!!

Let the public and Bioware answer. I hear you. We hear you. The world hears you.

I'll answer that for him: there are NO AUTO-PAUSE OPTIONS, except for a lame pause when a battle starts. Nothing else. No battle tactics or maanagement. It's Neverwinter Nights v1.3, NOT Baldur's Gate. It's not even Icewind Dale. And much less Planescape Torment. Run around, flashy lights and textures, click and kill. Another good console portable product.

They could have made the best game in the decade. Instead, they dropped the ball and made Dragon Age into a FIASCO !

Shame.

ggnoree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ggnoree
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts

Because not having autopause totally kills the chance of a game to be the best rpg, how about you try watching the health bar?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

:lol:

God forbid you move a finger two inches and press a button to pause the game.

come back when you have something worthy to complain about

ninjabeaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ninjabeaver1
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

I beat BG2 without using auto pause. It looked like an inconvenient function to me.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

:lol:

God forbid you move a finger two inches and press a button to pause the game.

come back when you have something worthy to complain about

mrbojangles25

This, this post is so sa it has to be a troll.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

You can set the game to autopause any time when you enter combat... Seek this in the options menu.

Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts

I have no idea how to respond to this. You're saying that Dragon Age is a fiasco and (by extension) a failure as an RPG because it lacks an auto pause? That's it? That's like saying your bowl of Rocky Road ice cream is awful because it doesn't have quite enough chocolate syrup on it. Yes, it would be nice if it had a little more syrup, but it's still damned good ice cream. Yes, it would be nice if Dragon Age had a few options for auto-pause, but it's still a fantastic game without it. You just have to pay a little more attention, keep an eye on the action, and keep a finger on the space bar. You know the PAUSE button for the game, that you can hit at any time to stop the action? God forbid that Bioware would expect you to pay attention and actually play the game.

If a lack of auto-pause is your only (or even your largest) complaint, you should be damned pleased with Dragon Age. If that one thing is enough to make you dislike the game, I feel sorry for you. Dragon Age is one of the best games I've played in a long time, and definitely takes me back to the days of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Wow... even if you can't auto-pause (although Crimsader says you can set that option, I haven't checked myself), you can *GASP* press the SPACE BAR at ANY TIME to pause the game. Clearly Dragon Age is an epic failure because you have to press a freakin button to pause it. Quite honestly, it would irritate the heck out of me if the game auto-paused. I want to pause it if I feel like it. Not every single time no matter what.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

You can set the game to autopause any time when you enter combat... Seek this in the options menu.

Crimsader

OP is complaining that this is the only autopause option; with BG2, you get up to 10 autopause options, such as when character is hit, end of round, cast spell and so on.

some veteran dnd gamers would like to have these options as they establish their battle tactics and habit. the character hit autopause is very helpful for novice players.

personally, I think detail autopause option is nice but not remotely a necessity for good CRPG. Torment, the greatest CRPG ever, doesn't need any auto pause.

even with BG2, I play without any autopause enabled because I want to do all the pausing myself.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Nice jokepost

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DigiTM73
Member since 2009 • 801 Posts

There's a button on the keyboard.....if you look below the letters it's a very big button. There it is...it's called a Spacebar. Guess when the game is so good, there's always some that can't find many faults so decide to nitpick little things. I myself would find it annoying if it paused every time. I see our party health go down near death, then i just pause and make them all drink healing potions or cast healing. I assign a lot to the quickbar, so that I don't have to pause as much for things as shield bash etc.

The only thing I can nitpick is I'm still trying to download Stone Golem through the game. At 40% it just stops all the time and comes up with download failed.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
That was the most annoying post i've ever read. Not that big of a deal.
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
I hate auto-pause. Like in Starwars: KOTOR I hated it, I like just jumping into battle and if you surprised then you need to think on your toes about the situation.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#14 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
alt + F4 pauses it for me.
DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DigiTM73
Member since 2009 • 801 Posts

alt + F4 pauses it for me.nutcrackr

lol.......the miracle alt+f4....got me out of some embarrassing situations before.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Hey TC....your username is a bit suspicious....
supamasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 supamasta
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts

Oh crap! I even cancelled my order when I read this.

No auto pause options means no Dragon Age for me. :(

Back to Civ 4 mods.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Haha, saying PS:T is better combat wise...thats a funny one. PS:T is my alltime favorite RPG, but the combat system wasnt its strong point, not even close.
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

Oh crap! I even cancelled my order when I read this.

No auto pause options means no Dragon Age for me. :(

Back to Civ 4 mods.

supamasta
hmm?
anolecrabcf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 anolecrabcf
Member since 2005 • 658 Posts
You know what's even worse the character avatars are on the LEFT side. Everybody knows the right side of the screen is the sweet spot for avatars I threw away the game the instant I saw that. *End sarcasm*
Strathdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Strathdor
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts
Space bar to far to reach for this guy? Fail for sure.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheCrazed420
Bioware also isnt just another developer. I believe by releasing a toolkit with the game, they are hoping for a strong mod community like NWN had. That will surely mean listening to the community and adapting their game through multiple patches. I wouldn't be surprised if this was addressed quickly.
IronValoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IronValoR
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts

Bioware also isnt just another developer. I believe by releasing a toolkit with the game, they are hoping for a strong mod community like NWN had. That will surely mean listening to the community and adapting their game through multiple patches. I wouldn't be surprised if this was addressed quickly. TheCrazed420
I have to agree with that, and i hope is already being worked on. I would like to see more quests with 5%-10% dialogue and 0% cut scenes

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#24 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Some people are way too fussy.

IronValoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IronValoR
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts

Some people are way too fussy.

-Unreal-

Ha.. hey dont get me wrong.. this is a sick game. i love it. just being a new fan of the RPG genre, i guess ive been playing Oblivion to long.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

No Autopause? i didn't even know they made that... I've been playing this game like an action RPG without pausing =S i dont see your problem.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts

lol, its like a console game because you cant use stupid autopause actions? Why didnt they just make it a jrpg so that there could be pause every turn?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

lol, its like a console game because you cant use stupid autopause actions?

TerroRizing
I thought the console version had autopause when entering combat xD
AciDiCa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AciDiCa-
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

Yes, because pressing the space bar is such an effort... :roll:

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts

Yes, because pressing the space bar is such an effort... :roll:

AciDiCa-
he needs the computer to let him know when to control which character... lol
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

What a silly reason to call this game a "fiasco". :lol:

Seritonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Seritonin
Member since 2008 • 423 Posts

Just spent most of last night and most of this morning playing the game and its really fun, well put together, and all around a big hit for me. I'm gonna spend a lengthy amount of time on this game. Not a Fiasco by any means. Stop being lazy and pause the game yourself...

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
How many fingers do you have? If you have less than three, well, then I can understand why you can't press the spacebar. But otherwise...
Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

I honostly hope this is a joke.

Autopause on Enemy Encounter is all you need. If your too stupid to not pay attention to the battle and pause the game yourself you deserve to fail.

Did you honostly use Autopause when Character Takes dmg in Baldur's Gate? Because if you did the game would pause literally every 1-3 seconds, YOU DONT NEED THAT, no one does. that featre was usless.

Now I can see the merit in Pause when characters life is Critical, I did use that function, but its not like your not watching the battle anyway and could easily do it yourself. While I wont be suprised if Bioware Patches in a few autopause featres in the future, They really are not needed unless you play on Hard or Higher, and most people will play the game on Medium anyway.

If this is the ONLY problem you have with Dragon Age, It does nothing to make anyone think its not a AAA RPG. It still is and is no way broken without various autopause featres outside enemy encounter. Learn to pay attention

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

honestly this is why they are making most games easier these days.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

something never changes...most people don't read when replying at GS forums. applaud to the few who really know what OP means.

RandPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RandPC
Member since 2003 • 114 Posts

I always used pause upon enemy sighted, pause upon target death, and pause every round in old Infinity Engine games. It's far from a game breaking flaw for me, and I'm definitely still enjoying it but I can understand why someone would prefer numerous auto pause options. Really helps if you care to really closely manage your parties tactics and actions.

I can't say I really understand those that find it shocking and abhorrent that one might find an auto pause an improvement though. Having to constantly hit the space bar is a bit unfortunate if you are one who cares to play the came in a more turn based fashion rather then a free form action type.

Deeming it a fiasco is a massive overstatement though, more of an annoyance then a serious detriment. If you haven't alkready, give it a try before condemning it. On the whole it's still a terrific game imo. Unlike Fallout 3 which didn't have much more then the basic setting in common with it's predecessors, I can genuinely see how this is a distant descendant of Baldurs Gate.

Not sure how highly I rate it yet, but for me it's looking like a fringe top 3-4 RPG of the decade. A somewhat disappointing decade as far as RPG's go for my tastes. But over 9 years theirs been some stellar games.

altfiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 altfiv3
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I always used pause upon enemy sighted, pause upon target death, and pause every round in old Infinity Engine games. It's far from a game breaking flaw for me, and I'm definitely still enjoying it but I can understand why someone would prefer numerous auto pause options. Really helps if you care to really closely manage your parties tactics and actions.

I can't say I really understand those that find it shocking and abhorrent that one might find an auto pause an improvement though. Having to constantly hit the space bar is a bit unfortunate if you are one who cares to play the came in a more turn based fashion rather then a free form action type.

Deeming it a fiasco is a massive overstatement though, more of an annoyance then a serious detriment. If you haven't alkready, give it a try before condemning it. On the whole it's still a terrific game imo. Unlike Fallout 3 which didn't have much more then the basic setting in common with it's predecessors, I can genuinely see how this is a distant descendant of Baldurs Gate.

Not sure how highly I rate it yet, but for me it's looking like a fringe top 3-4 RPG of the decade. A somewhat disappointing decade as far as RPG's go for my tastes. But over 9 years theirs been some stellar games.

RandPC
ARE YOU ME!? I was about to post basically this whole thing :) Nice post, I completely agree. Autopause is a nice feature- one I would use. It isn't to make the game easy-mode it's because I like playing that way. I play on hard right now, and tbh I don't think I could play on nightmare without an autopause feature. I'm just not used to having to pause games myself. It would be a welcome addition for me, but definitely not a game-breaker.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheCrazed420
And it should be mentioned that the Tactics system in this game more than makes up for the lack of autopause. Theres so many wqays to tailor your Party A.I., its brilliant. Thank FFXII for that one. :P
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

omg lol!!! I know it might be really inconvenient but come on. The tactics system is there man just use it.

Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts

I honostly hope this is a joke.

Autopause on Enemy Encounter is all you need. If your too stupid to not pay attention to the battle and pause the game yourself you deserve to fail.

Did you honostly use Autopause when Character Takes dmg in Baldur's Gate? Because if you did the game would pause literally every 1-3 seconds, YOU DONT NEED THAT, no one does. that featre was usless.

Now I can see the merit in Pause when characters life is Critical, I did use that function, but its not like your not watching the battle anyway and could easily do it yourself. While I wont be suprised if Bioware Patches in a few autopause featres in the future, They really are not needed unless you play on Hard or Higher, and most people will play the game on Medium anyway.

If this is the ONLY problem you have with Dragon Age, It does nothing to make anyone think its not a AAA RPG. It still is and is no way broken without various autopause featres outside enemy encounter. Learn to pay attention

Zemus

Of course, with the tactical list options, you don't really need to pause the game when a character is near death or whatever. You can set it up so the character, when near death, will do something to heal themselves without bothering you. The tactical options for the AI, while a bit confusing at first, really do allow you to control the flow of the game without pausing. My only real complaint is that you have to get levels or take skills to get enough tactical slots for real flexibility. They really shouldn't have put limits on the number of slots you could use, but that's just my opinion.

Full_Of_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Full_Of_Stars
Member since 2009 • 113 Posts

I hate the camera view. I like the zoomed out view which works well in towns/confined areas but out in the wild you get attacked by enemies off screen all the time so you have to use the zoomed in view which I don't like.

Can you keep it zoomed out but change the angle so you see more of whats ahead?

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
I wouldn't use autopause. I pause when I need too.