Next great graphics game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Biggs6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Biggs6575
Member since 2003 • 119 Posts

Does anybody know what the next big game in graphics is going to be or when we can expect one. Im talking about a game that pushes the limits of modern hardware.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Does anybody know what the next big game in graphics is going to be or when we can expect one. Im talking about a game that pushes the limits of modern hardware.

Biggs6575
Crysis 2 and even then I do not thin it will be anything spectacular.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
For the longest time, pre-Cysis, it was Project Offset...which Intel bought and who knows when that's coming out or if it will even compare to what Crytek will be doing then. Shattered Horizon is one of the best looking games recently, gorgeous little fps space shooter.
Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
Crysis 2, RAGE.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

I imagine it will be Crysis 2, although it might not be quite as revolutionary as Crysis was.

B45AK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 B45AK
Member since 2009 • 445 Posts

Apparently project Offset is dead. Theres a topic on the sub forums.

somegtalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 somegtalover
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts

Crysis 2.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 millerlight89
somegtalover
TBH thus far into development it looks worse that Crysis.
somegtalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 somegtalover
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts
[QUOTE="somegtalover"]millerlight89

lmao i know, i like jungles more too
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 millerlight89
[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="somegtalover"]somegtalover

lmao i know, i like jungles more too

Well I like either or tbh. I can deal with either setting, though so far from what I have seen it seems Crytek is better at jungle environments.
savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#11 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
Grand Halo Life: Episode 3
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

i would definetely consider darksiders to possibly be a game to watch.. though a console port its got alot of potential to be something more if they invest the time and this is thq were talking about there not ones to skimp on the visual detail.

and i consider the following to be the "most demanding" games for 2010 (by genre):

racing/sports: dirt 2, split/second, test drive unlimited 2

fps: crysis 2, bioshock 2, serious sam HD: TSE (argueable if a bit flaky), bfbc2, shattered horizons, OPFP2: dragon rising

rpg: mass effect 2, the witcher 2

sim: tom clancy's HAWX (possibly 2 since its still tba), pt boats: knights of the sea (very punishing on high reoslutions in dx11), arma 2.

sandbox: gta 4, just cause 2, dead space 2 (if it shows up this year)

rts: supreme commander 2, wh40k: dow2, napolean: total war.

and my dark horses are: portal 2, darksiders, elemental, bullet storm, rage, brink, sniper: ghost warrior.

i say this is how it will be come the end of 2010 assuming we dont see some wild system requirements in september or october.

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

Eh, those screenshots make Crysis 2 look like every other sci-fi shooter. Lame.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Id Tech 5, period. Draw distance and megatexturing.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Biggs6575
can't think nothing except Metro 2033 and the upcoming Crysis 2
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Crysis 2, Doom 4 and maybe BF3 or TES V.

-Feath-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Feath-
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts
I think the original Crysis videos spoilt people. Almost nothing has impressed me massively, the last was probably Stalker: Call of Pripyat but that was probably down to the atmosphere of the game.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Rage, i will not speak about crysis 2 because from what i have seen so far.......

"Yeah"

So ill stick with rage for now, til we see some pc maxed out screens of crysis 2.

Ps: those crsis 2 screens remind me of halo and fear 2.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
It'd be great to see Id on the forefront again, maybe minus the violence this time though...
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
Not until the next console is released will you see graphics improve.
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

Not until the next console is released will you see graphics improve.couly

Hah. funny post is funny

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dakan45

[QUOTE="couly"]Not until the next console is released will you see graphics improve.lucfonzy

Hah. funny post is funny

But also true.
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

[QUOTE="lucfonzy"]

[QUOTE="couly"]Not until the next console is released will you see graphics improve.dakan45

Hah. funny post is funny

But also true.

Heh are you serious? From what I can see we are in the very early stages of development for the next gen of gaming. Graphics cards are improving at a staggering pace and a new line of processors have been released.

dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

I think there will be lots of games with great graphics but I seriously doubt that we will see any greater improvement 'till the big 2 show up with their next engines: Valve and id.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="lucfonzy"]

Hah. funny post is funny

lucfonzy

But also true.

Heh are you serious? From what I can see we are in the very early stages of development for the next gen of gaming. Graphics cards are improving at a staggering pace and a new line of processors have been released.

Are you serious? Nvidia has done many restocks till they get to the "improved" videocards state and developers seem to care less about quad cores and directx 11 just like it happen with dx10. The only thing that will actually boost graphics is when the next consoels come out. We are talking games not hardware. Even if they release much more powerfull hardware, still games wouldnt taken advantage of that hardware.
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
Brink or Rage
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

[QUOTE="lucfonzy"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"] But also true.dakan45

Are you serious? Nvidia has done many restocks till they get to the "improved" videocards state and developers seem to care less about quad cores and directx 11 just like it happen with dx10. The only thing that will actually boost graphics is when the next consoels come out. We are talking games not hardware. Even if they release much more powerfull hardware, still games wouldnt taken advantage of that hardware.

Yeah honestly we will only see baby steps in improving graphics until the new batch of Console/mini-pc (they get closer every time) comes out.

Though what will improve alot from now till then, is the performance of our current graphics, and slightly improving graphics.. a real graphics/visual jump prolly will not be until about the time new consoles are announced officially.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
Crysis 2 is actually gonna be more "dumbbed-down" than Crysis 1... Not just because it's also going on the console, but to sell more, since more people will be able to run the game, unlike how it was with Crysis 1 when it first launched... so imho, i think it's time we take a look at not only games that look great, but perform great, cause performance always comes before visuals.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dakan45
Crysis 2 is actually gonna be more "dumbbed-down" than Crysis 1... Not just because it's also going on the console, but to sell more, since more people will be able to run the game, unlike how it was with Crysis 1 when it first launched... so imho, i think it's time we take a look at not only games that look great, but perform great, cause performance always comes before visuals.trastamad03
To be honest i could see that since they anounced that its gonna be multiplatform. I bet that the game will be the same in both pc and consoles but with a bit better graphics on the pc. Judging by the FOV in the released screenshots, it will most likely not gonna have lean. Anyway i dont mind as long its fun.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I think Rage will look better than Crysis 2.
stoutlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 stoutlad
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts

[QUOTE="couly"]Not until the next console is released will you see graphics improve.lucfonzy

Hah. funny post is funny

There is a lot of truth to this actually. We can go by history, and historically this is very true. When the new wave of consoles come out, graphics tend to jump leaps and bounds. I don't think this is because the technology isn't capable beforehand, but more like developers limit themselves because of games being multiplatform. They need to ensure that a game that came out 3-4 years after the latest consoles can perform well on said consoles, regardless of whether or not there is amazing pc hardware out that could make their game look sooo much better. Basically, it comes down to money.
spektor_21000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 spektor_21000
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts
[QUOTE="lucfonzy"]

[QUOTE="couly"]Not until the next console is released will you see graphics improve.stoutlad

Hah. funny post is funny

There is a lot of truth to this actually. We can go by history, and historically this is very true. When the new wave of consoles come out, graphics tend to jump leaps and bounds. I don't think this is because the technology isn't capable beforehand, but more like developers limit themselves because of games being multiplatform. They need to ensure that a game that came out 3-4 years after the latest consoles can perform well on said consoles, regardless of whether or not there is amazing pc hardware out that could make their game look sooo much better. Basically, it comes down to money.

This. Couldn't have said it better myself. and i can't wait to play games that look like rage and project offset (graphics wise)
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dakan45
I think project offset is dead :(
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

To me the contenders for that would be RAGE and Crysis 2. That is ofcourse speaking engine wise only.

I do have a small hope that, the tweaks made to the rage engine would suit (and maybe a reason it was bought by zenimax?) alot of the needs A company like Bethesda needs, since the TES game engine was never too good, so who knows? maybe the next TES the folks at id would have lend a hand in teaching the blokes how to use thier engine?)

Baaah apart from my day dreaming, Tech 5 and Cryengine 3 are the next bright hopes. There is a likelyhood for some kind of darkhorse, I think the witcher 2 looks quite good, and I suspect that it will be "nice looking" altho blowing us away will likely not happen. Or Valve might work on something.

Either of those two Engines seem to be able to become the framework for alot of games through the next 5 years (Replacing Source and UE3).

So with that in mind, Rage, Crysis 2, DOOM4, TW2, And RTS wise, I think Relic will get a game out in a few years, Relic does not really skimp on graphics ;P

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dakan45
If bethesda starts uses rage's enigne, things will get much better.
D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

The reason Crysis looked so good was because of the setting so of course it being in a city things are going to be different. Although these screens are different to what i had seen before. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/crysis-2-screenshots-crytek-cryengine,news-32913.htmlI hope the game looks like that. Otherwise any id game has always been an amazing visual treat.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
If bethesda starts uses rage's enigne, things will get much better.dakan45
They should stop using that engine, it's very buggy, and dated.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"]If bethesda starts uses rage's enigne, things will get much better.rmfd341
They should stop using that engine, it's very buggy, and dated.

Its "dated" but not that much dated. It can pull a few more tricks. Anyway am with you, i hope they drop it.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="lucfonzy"]

Hah. funny post is funny

lucfonzy

But also true.

A no one has the foggiest idea how to utilize them. And since graphics have been increasing so steadily, we are never going to see that "jump" in graphics we did back in the dark ages of gaming. A high resolution here, better texture mappng there, more efficient anti-aliasing.... Most of the time a new game is announced the graphics look so much better than anything already out, but by the time it actually hits the shelves, technology has caught up and it looks like everything else that is out then.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

Crysis 2(looks like **** atm), RAGE, and Doom 4.

Carmack is using magic to create the orgasmic awesome that is id tech 5.

Blade8Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blade8Aus
Member since 2006 • 1819 Posts

It'd be great to see Id on the forefront again, maybe minus the violence this time though...kdawg88

hopefully Doom 4 with be plenty gory. But obviously we don't know yet.