***News*** Nvidia's 40nm generation should be a killer !!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

Nvidia's 40nm generation should be a killer

Cebit 2009: High hopes

Nvidia's 40nm chip should be a great performer. This is what we got from the Cebit show, but we didn't actually get anything specific to back this bold claim up.

Nvidia learns from its mistakes, and it wants to win this round to make ATI look bad, that is the general goal. The claim comes from sources close to Nvidia, and naturally after quite a lot of messy rebranding, there might be some really new stuff coming in the next few months.

The one we really want to see out is GT218, a 40nm performance card, but from all we know this card shouldn't be out before Q3 2009 time, just in time to compete with ATI's RV8x0 architecture. We still don't know who might end up faster this round, as the stakes are really high for both players. Both sides already claim victory, but no one really knows the answer to this question today.

Fudzilla

I can see hope after the long road of too much renaming! :o

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

Nvidia's 40nm chip should be a great performer. This is what we got from the Cebit show, but we didn't actually get anything specific to back this bold claim up.

Nvidia learns from its mistakes, and it wants to win this round to make ATI look bad, that is the general goal. The claim comes from sources close to Nvidia, and naturally after quite a lot of messy rebranding, there might be some really new stuff coming in the next few months.

The one we really want to see out is GT218, a 40nm performance card, but from all we know this card shouldn't be out before Q3 2009 time, just in time to compete with ATI's RV8x0 architecture. We still don't know who might end up faster this round, as the stakes are really high for both players. Both sides already claim victory, but no one really knows the answer to this question today.

Fudzilla

wklzip

40nm to be a great performer!? lol the chips they have out now are great performers. i mean they beat ATI's cards (mostly)

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

[QUOTE="wklzip"]

Fudzilla

hofuldig

40nm to be a great performer!? lol the chips they have out now are great performers. i mean they beat ATI's cards (mostly)

Yeah, but it should cost much, much less after they go to 40nm.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="wklzip"]

Fudzilla

hofuldig

clock for clock, yes but in terms of value for money ATI are currently thrashing them.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Iam not going to upgrade until i can get a card that offer a 100% performance boost over my 8800GT for a not too unreasonable price...£250 is ok i guess.

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

[QUOTE="wklzip"]

Fudzilla

hofuldig

you say the cards should be cheaper but if you look back video cards auctally increase in price. so hence they will make faster cards with 40nm BUT they will charge more because they are faster....

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts

didn't i hear the current line of nvidia cards limit the intel i7's?? there was a big debate between the new phenom II processors vs the new I7's and the nvidia cards and ATI got wrapped up in the debate. what ended up happening is they through the ATI cards onto the I7 boards and then the I7's beat the phenoms in gaming....but when the I7's had nvidia cards the phenoms won.

teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 teddyrob
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts

I am not going to upgrade until i can get a card that offer a 100% performance boost over my 8800GT for a not too unreasonable price...£250 is ok i guess.

Daytona_178

I'm with you. I usually wait until I can see a signifcant performance increase worth to upgrade.

teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 teddyrob

didn't i hear the current line of nvidia cards limit the intel i7's?? there was a big debate between the new phenom II processors vs the new I7's and the nvidia cards and ATI got wrapped up in the debate. what ended up happening is they through the ATI cards onto the I7 boards and then the I7's beat the phenoms in gaming....but when the I7's had nvidia cards the phenoms won.

machiavell8x8

I would think i7 would thrash Phenom with either. My stockQ6600 @ 2.4Ghz is beating Phenom II 940 in GTAIV and I'm using higher settings.

Statistics
Average FPS: 38.54
Duration: 37.38 sec
CPU Usage: 59%
System memory usage: 50%
Video memory usage: 63%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: High
Reflection Resolution: High
Water Quality: Very High
Shadow Quality: High
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 37
Definition: On
VSync: Off

Hardware
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Video Driver version: 181.22
Audio Adapter: Sound Blaster Audigy
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor

File ID: benchmark.cli

MSI K9N2 Sli Platinum MB Win XP Pro Service Pack 3 32 bit
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3Ghz Corsair 4gig Dominator pc8500
eVGA 8800 GTX KO ACS³ 768MB

Statistics
Average FPS: 46.78
Duration: 37.07 sec
CPU Usage: 75%
System memory usage: 76%
Video memory usage: 100%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 (75 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Very High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Very High
Shadow Quality: High
View Distance: 30
Detail Distance: 60
Definition: On
VSync: Off

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Video Driver version: 180.84
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 machiavell8x8

i read the story off tomshardware, pretty sure teh PII was ahead in gaming until the I7 got an ATI card in her.

Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sordidus
Member since 2008 • 2036 Posts

i read the story off tomshardware, pretty sure teh PII was ahead in gaming until the I7 got an ATI card in her.

machiavell8x8

Even the Q9550 is faster than the Phenom II 940 and the i7 920 is faster than the Q9550.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 machiavell8x8

you sure about that? im only talking about "gaming" scores here.

Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sordidus

you sure about that? im only talking about "gaming" scores here.

machiavell8x8

Yes, I'm talking about gaming. But performance depends on the overall configuration, not just the processor...

Auraknight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Auraknight1
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

[QUOTE="machiavell8x8"]

Sordidus

Even the Q9550 is faster than the Phenom II 940 and the i7 920 is faster than the Q9550.

true
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 machiavell8x8

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-280,2156-2.html

false

"AMD's Phenom IIs are indeed running faster than the i7 920 in a number of our gaming tests where Nvidia's GeForce GTX 280 handles graphics."

Auraknight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Auraknight1

false

"AMD's Phenom IIs are indeed running faster than the i7 920 in a number of our gaming tests where Nvidia's GeForce GTX 280 handles graphics."

machiavell8x8

Those were probably the only ( or most of ) the instances that the i7 with an NVIDIA card was slower than the 940BE, hence the reason they picked FC2 with no AA ( nvidia cards if I'm not mistaken handle AA better than ATI cards). But you were right about that particular instance.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 machiavell8x8

yah i had a hunch i was

Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sordidus

[QUOTE="machiavell8x8"]

false

Auraknight1

Those were probably the only ( or most of ) the instances that the i7 with an NVIDIA card was slower than the 940BE, hence the reason they picked FC2 with no AA ( nvidia cards if I'm not mistaken handle AA better than ATI cards). But you were right about that particular instance.

I don't trust Tomshardware reviews for certain reasons and from what I've seen on other sites even the Q9550 performs better than i7 920 on Far Cry 2 and I don't think it makes it worse than the Q9550...

Munkyman587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Munkyman587
Member since 2003 • 2007 Posts
As long as you are informed about your purchases, the renaming is OK. The economy is terrible, not the best time to release new high end expensive graphics cards. Maybe if the low end pushed up a bit, game makers could increase the bottom end graphics in games. It could be a good thing, just look at what some of you consider "mid end" these days, compared to the difference observed even a year or two ago.
teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 teddyrob

false

machiavell8x8

That doesn't look like a comprehensive test. Just two pages.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 machiavell8x8

[QUOTE="machiavell8x8"]

false

teddyrob

thats because they already did a full review, that 2 pages is just an update to the original review that people doubted. the 2 pages is just to clear up why results differed between tomshardware's review and other websites reviews. and if you look in the comments they talk about the review some more, and tomshardware actually read the comments and tested out what people questioned....which is really freaking cool of them to do.
Auraknight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Auraknight1
[QUOTE="teddyrob"]

[QUOTE="machiavell8x8"]

false

machiavell8x8

thats because they already did a full review, that 2 pages is just an update to the original review that people doubted. the 2 pages is just to clear up why results differed between tomshardware's review and other websites reviews. and if you look in the comments they talk about the review some more, and tomshardware actually read the comments and tested out what people questioned....which is really freaking cool of them to do.

I'd like to see them use some more games for the test though
brettakins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 brettakins
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts

OK I have a question I have an 750 Watt PSU and by the looks of the design of the graphic card using smaller and smaller dies is it safe to say that my current power supply should be efficent to power future high ends cards for a long time?

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 machiavell8x8

OK I have a question I have an 750 Watt PSU and by the looks of the design of the graphic card using smaller and smaller dies is it safe to say that my current power supply should be efficent to power future high ends cards for a long time?

brettakins
depends on the amps on your 12v rail, unless you have a abnormaly low amperage, you should be fine for a while....unless you plan to use multiple highend gpu's
matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 matte3560
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts

Iam not going to upgrade until i can get a card that offer a 100% performance boost over my 8800GT for a not too unreasonable price...£250 is ok i guess.

Daytona_178
8-Seires Nvidia FTW! My 8800 GTX is still going strong, and maxing pretty much all i throw at it in 1920 x 1200!
Auraknight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Auraknight1

brettakins
Yes, that is a good quality PSU and should be able to power up the best single card graphics cards now and in the future most likely but CF and SLI is another question( I would go no lower than 850W atm and that's not even for the most powerful card's either)
Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sordidus

brettakins

For a single card, your power supply it's more than enough, even mine.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"]

matte3560

8-Seires Nvidia FTW! My 8800 GTX is still going strong, and maxing pretty much all i throw at it in 1920 x 1200!

Same here. I've got an 8800GTS 512 MB and it plays all my games fine at 1680X1050. I'm not upgrading until I can get a 100% performance boost for $150 or less.